Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

E90 chassis on the subframe issue.

My E93 is a 5/08 build date that is supposedly not effected by the PS pully issue. However, I just saw a couple days ago the belt has one rib that has been ripped off. I checked the PS pully and subframe and donít see any issues of scratching. However, how can I be sure I have the updated notched subframe? Iíve looked at dozens of pictures online and didnít find any comparisons. To be fair, Iíve never had this issue until I went stage 1+ on MHD. No oil leaks and the car is maintained well. 82,000 miles.

The only damage I see is on the lower tensioner pully looks like the inside edge of the wheel is damaged, the same side of the belt where it is ripped off. The belt and pullys only have about 7,000 miles on them. My subframe has about one inch of space or more from the PS pully.

Thoughts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You probably need to install new motor mounts. Likely the stock ones are super worn out and allowing the engine to move around a bunch and let the power steering pulley hit the frame.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok thanks bro
    BMW fanatic and Equipment engineer at Intel Corp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Get stiffer MM, revshift 80A gets my vote. Next time you have the frame down, bash it with a sledge and notch it yourself Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yah. Before I do Iím going to setup a miniature camera to get some footage of the pulley under load. Iím curious to see how much itís moving around. But will most likely do as you said and go with a higher rubber durometer and notch the subframe a little.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mr_BMW Click here to enlarge
    Yah. Before I do Iím going to setup a miniature camera to get some footage of the pulley under load. Iím curious to see how much itís moving around. But will most likely do as you said and go with a higher rubber durometer and notch the subframe a little.
    I'd love to see a video of this.....I've always been worried about this myself and might get that crankshaft seal cover to prevent the belt from getting sucked in but last I saw it wasn't available right now which seems crazy since it's just a piece of metal

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Moving this to 3-Series -> E9X chassis
    Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

IPD plenum for Porsche 991.2 3.0 for sale: $650

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Okay I wasn’t able to get a footage of the issue but I believe it was due to an object falling into the pully and then chewing up the belt. I’ve made numerous hard runs and wasn’t able to repeat the issue. We can close the thread if moderators want to. Thanks.