Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Doc Race develops a BMW version of their B58 top mount BorgWarner based turbo turbo kit - F22 240i, G20 340i, G22 440i, etc.

As you know Doc Race already released their top mount B58 kit based around a BorgWarner EFR turbocharger for the new MKV/A90 Toyota Supra. The version for B58 equipped BMW vehicles such as the F22 240i, G20 340i, G22 440i, etc., followed after and here it is.

Click here to enlarge

Doc Race has yet to officially release it on their website but it should be very similar to the Supra version. There are differences between the BMW and Toyota B58 motors and BimmerBoost will go into those details in a later article.

The main thing is, if you wanted a similar setup on your BMW to what the Supra guys were running with the Doc Race BorgWarner EFR 9280 single top mount turbo it will now be possible.

Perhaps someone at Doc Race can share pricing and turbo options @Doc Race_Kirk.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

IPD plenum for Porsche 991.2 3.0 for sale: $650

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    BorgWarner EFR 9280
    HOLY CRAP, that's the biggest EFR available, 1000WHP here we come! I always said the supra community would drive development of the B58 platform because import guys always are willing to spend crazy money on cars unlike the BMW community.

I personally prefer a bottom mounted turbo because I don't like the idea of bringing heat up higher in the engine bay than need be, the increased diificulties of having an air filter, and longer exhaust runners means more lag, but if this is what must be done to fit an EFR 9280 then it is what it is. Turbo blankets and heat wrap will help of course, but it's still not perfect heat insulation.

Can this setup run an airfilter? I would hate to see particulate matter destroy the $1500 turbo, and mess up the engine. Plus I personally really hate filterless setups.

On a side note the speedtech kit has a 9180 available which is a step down from the 9280, I do wonder if they could make the 9280 fit in a bottom mounted configuration though.

All in all, good stuff doc race! Your kits are always really good quality in terms of fit and finish, and use of quality components.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F87Source Click here to enlarge
    HOLY CRAP, that's the biggest EFR available, 1000WHP here we come! I always said the supra community would drive development of the B58 platform because import guys always are willing to spend crazy money on cars unlike the BMW community.

I personally prefer a bottom mounted turbo because I don't like the idea of bringing heat up higher in the engine bay than need be, the increased diificulties of having an air filter, and longer exhaust runners means more lag, but if this is what must be done to fit an EFR 9280 then it is what it is. Turbo blankets and heat wrap will help of course, but it's still not perfect heat insulation.

Can this setup run an airfilter? I would hate to see particulate matter destroy the $1500 turbo, and mess up the engine. Plus I personally really hate filterless setups.

On a side note the speedtech kit has a 9180 available which is a step down from the 9280, I do wonder if they could make the 9280 fit in a bottom mounted configuration though.

All in all, good stuff doc race! Your kits are always really good quality in terms of fit and finish, and use of quality components.
    Air filter does not look possible on this setup at all. Thats why there is a turbo screen.

I also really don't like filterless setups but this is still cool.
    Cadillac V2 CTS-V - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X

Honda S2000 AP1 - White on red - 9000rpm vtec bruh

Porsche 991.1 PDK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Turbo screens are for really big debris like bugs or any large thing that enters the engine bay. But they suck against dirt and dust which can still damage the compressor blade and contaminate the oil on your motor and scratch the cylinder walls.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Turbo screens are for really big debris like bugs or any large thing that enters the engine bay. But they suck against dirt and dust which can still damage the compressor blade and contaminate the oil on your motor and scratch the cylinder walls.
    I agree.
    To me, a turbo kit with no room for a filter is kind of a waste. That means its basically only useful for track use not daily driving so why go to all that work anyway and why not just throw a big old shot of nitrous at it instead.
    Cadillac V2 CTS-V - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X

Honda S2000 AP1 - White on red - 9000rpm vtec bruh

Porsche 991.1 PDK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
    I agree.
    To me, a turbo kit with no room for a filter is kind of a waste. That means its basically only useful for track use not daily driving so why go to all that work anyway and why not just throw a big old shot of nitrous at it instead.
    Is there no room for a filter or are these just glamour shots?
    Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is there no room for a filter or are these just glamour shots?
    It's too close to the black bit where the hood latches are. Filter would have to be really short and probably won't flow enough air.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's too close to the black bit where the hood latches are. Filter would have to be really short and probably won't flow enough air.
    Looks like you're right.

Kind odd to have the BMW without the filter juxtaposed with the Supra which does.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks like you're right.

Kind odd to have the BMW without the filter juxtaposed with the Supra which does.
    The supra has a different layout for the latch it seems, it's got room for a filter.
    2010|335i|LMB|E92|6MT|MSport|Logic7|335is Clutch|AE Performance|BMS|Inline Walbro|VRSF 7"|Inlets|
    1992|Pontiac Firebird|Mild 355ci|T56|
    2001|Chevrolet Camaro| T56 LS1| Bolt-ons| -Sold
    -I will look on your treasures, gypsy. Is this understood?-

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
    I agree.
    To me, a turbo kit with no room for a filter is kind of a waste. That means its basically only useful for track use not daily driving
    I just find it odd Doc Race wouldn't go with a smaller turbo and show a filter or at least show the option. They usually aren't this sloppy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just find it odd Doc Race wouldn't go with a smaller turbo and show a filter or at least show the option. They usually aren't this sloppy.
    They probably do have that with a smaller efr like the 7670, or 8374. But once you go with a monster 9280 then you really don't have space. But like they say if you want to push the boundriea you gotta take risks like not having an airfilter.

This is also why I prefer bottom mounted kits, because there is still room topside for a proper intake. I wonder if speedtech can fit the 9280, they currently offer their kit with the 9180, so it's probably not too much more of a squeeze.