Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Black dry/slightly oiled plugs thoughts?

Plug looks fouled with oil or carbon. It's fairly dark black and sooty...not oily. This is clearly not normal , but this is my first N54 teardown so I don't know better.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Injector.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Weehe Click here to enlarge
    Injector.
    Ahh...it's getting sprayed with fuel and looks like a 'typical' over rich plug...I see it now. Direct Injection requires some different in diagnostics for sure! Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2451 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Edited to N54 prefix.
    Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    As Weehe said it is most likely an injector. Caution when changing an injector it will need to be coded. Also if replacing with a used injector replace the seal and decoupler. The seal will need to be compressed using a special tool. I believe Precision Raceworks has the cheapest tool.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blaster3500 Click here to enlarge
    As Weehe said it is most likely an injector. Caution when changing an injector it will need to be coded. Also if replacing with a used injector replace the seal and decoupler. The seal will need to be compressed using a special tool. I believe Precision Raceworks has the cheapest tool.
    Thanks for the additional advice. I'm a long time BMW owner so familiar with the coding process for injectors. This motor is not in a vehicle, just in the process of tearing it down and assessing its condition. Will likely try to source a complete set of Index 12s for the re-assembly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Index 12 it is almost for sure the solution, also can put new coils, just for get away the missfires.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HADESJCJC Click here to enlarge
    Index 12 it is almost for sure the solution, also can put new coils, just for get away the missfires.
    Interesting. So this isn't a failure of the Index 9 injector...it's a design flaw? So even if I had a brand new Index 9 injector this would still be the case? I had not realised that...I assumed it was an injector failure of some sort.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CastleBravo Click here to enlarge
    Interesting. So this isn't a failure of the Index 9 injector...it's a design flaw? So even if I had a brand new Index 9 injector this would still be the case? I had not realised that...I assumed it was an injector failure of some sort.
    Hi. The index 9 has fixed some issues that began in the index 7, but they can fail. index 10 its the minimal aceptable, 11 better and the "most" reliables are 12, but no bulletproof