Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Adding a secondary (high octane) fuel tank

Hi Guys,
    I live in the UK where we don't have any E85 at the pumps. So I run port injected meth. This of course sprays from dedicated meth tanks.

I was wondering now with the spool overdrive kit, how hard it might be to have a second fuel tank, maybe located in the trunk, holding high octane fuel. Either race gas or home made E85. We pay about $11.55 a gallon for ethanol here. It's very expensive so a small supply used on demand would be useful. So with a switch basically have the EKP power a pump located in the second tank instead of in the main tank. This would then flow with a T junction into the same fuel line, through the HPFP and into the injectors. Direct injection does offer many benefits. (So fuel will flow from either the normal main tank or the smaller high octane tank at any one time).

I'm wondering though. How many miles would it be necessary to drive before the high octane fuel got to the injectors, all the way from the tank located in the trunk?

This is just a thought at the moment. My meth kit works well and a secondary tank setup may not be worthwhile. I do have a spare walbro 450 I could use. I'd need to buy the spool overdrive kit. My concerns with that are how long these pumps can sustain 300% or 400% speeds continuously on a daily driver? I can't be replacing $650 pumps all the time.
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.
    11.74@129 on GCs.
    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, custom bucketless stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Perhaps the T junction from the normal fuel tank and the high octane fuel tank should be as close to the HPFP as possible?
    11.74@129 on GCs.
    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, custom bucketless stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A fuel cell in the trunk can definitely be done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    A tiny shot of dry nitrous (.024 or less jet) would likely accomplish what you are looking for and be cheaper, and last just as long between refills.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135iTX Click here to enlarge
    A tiny shot of dry nitrous (.024 or less jet) would likely accomplish what you are looking for and be cheaper, and last just as long between refills.
    Not a bad suggestion...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm considering the DI method for a bit more range.
    I already have port injection meth but that would run dry within a few mins.
    Plus the DI route offers full DME control which is nice.
    The spray rate of meth or nitrous are separate systems aren't they.
    11.74@129 on GCs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Slightly off topic and not relating to your want to DI only or increase range but you seem to be knowledgeable on meth injection so I have a question

Why do we spray meth and not ethanol?

Why donít we use proper port injection (proper injectors) and have an ethanol tank in the trunk with a dedicated fuel pump and FPR and control with JB4 or Split second like DI ethanol uses do to supplement fuel? Is it just cost?

This route seems more controlled than a typical meth setup and I prefer the idea of handling ethanol over methanol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Griff500 Click here to enlarge
    Slightly off topic and not relating to your want to DI only or increase range but you seem to be knowledgeable on meth injection so I have a question

Why do we spray meth and not ethanol?

Why don’t we use proper port injection (proper injectors) and have an ethanol tank in the trunk with a dedicated fuel pump and FPR and control with JB4 or Split second like DI ethanol uses do to supplement fuel? Is it just cost?

This route seems more controlled than a typical meth setup and I prefer the idea of handling ethanol over methanol.
    most people that use supplemental fuel DO use ethanol - but they are running DI and PI to get the fueling capacity needed. Most people that run meth do so because of the lack of ethanol availability. Ethanol is more energy dense than methanol, so you'd think people would run ethanol, so it has to be a lack of availability.

If you're going to use ethanol, just keep it DI in the tank.

AWSAWS - what would your control mechanism be to engage the high octane fuel and let the DME know it can run more timing? Perhaps flex fuel could be used for its dual map capability?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I understand why people supplement with ethanol and why people run meth

The point is, some of us don’t have access to ethanol at a price that makes sense to run in the main tank, DI full time.

Supplementing with a separate tank of ethanol or methanol when at WOT makes sense for us because we’re not burning it at part throttle when we don’t need it.

Just trying to understand why we supplement with methanol and not ethanol in areas where ethanol is not available on pump, and why we don’t use a true injector to do so.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just trying to understand why we supplement with methanol and not ethanol in areas where ethanol is not available on pump, and why we don’t use a true injector to do so.
    Ethanol has less energy per gallon than methanol so you need much more of it. You can get away with a smaller meth tank comparatively than with ethanol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ethanol has less energy per gallon than methanol so you need much more of it. You can get away with a smaller meth tank comparatively than with ethanol.
    I don’t think that’s the case

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don’t think that’s the case
    Why not?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why not?
    I believe ethanol has higher energy density than methanol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I believe ethanol has higher energy density than methanol
    You're right:

One liter of ethanol contains 21.1 MJ, a liter of methanol 15.8 MJ and a liter of gasoline approximately 32.6 MJ. In other words, for the same energy content as one liter or one gallon of gasoline, one needs 1.6 liters/gallons of ethanol and 2.1 liters/gallons of methanol.
    I'm surprised considering how long my 100% meth tank lasts considering how small it is.

I don't have an answer for you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm still curious what the end goal is here? Just trying to run a more aggressive map on demand? If you already have a meth setup, I'm not sure you could make much more power with e85+meth vs Pump+meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135iTX Click here to enlarge
    I'm still curious what the end goal is here? Just trying to run a more aggressive map on demand? If you already have a meth setup, I'm not sure you could make much more power with e85+meth vs Pump+meth
    @AWSAWS