Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Turbo Integra GSR issues moates demon ecu

Where do i start ? My brother owns two integra GSRs. The one he daily drives is the turbo GSR. The one that has been sitting a while is the non turbo because for some reason it had been overheating.

Two weeks ago the turbo integra decided to not start. I went outside to help figure out why it wouldnít start. The car started and then quickly died. Initially I thought it was fuel related because he was on an incline. Next I checked for spark and saw it on cylinder 1. These cars with their age have issues with the main relays. Without even knowing what was going on with it , he removed it and later that night we resoldered what we thought might be compromised soldering points.

He found his manual so I read it and found out the main relay controls power to the fuel pump and injectors. So after confirming 12v at the harness under the rear seat, my brother in all wisdom still replaced the fuel pump thinking it was bad. I could hear it prime btw. He also ordered the main relay which came 3 days later. I knew it wasnít the main relay since I made some male spade terminal jumpers and bypassed the relay.

When the relay came in he was disappointed to find out it didnít help, but hey itís new.

With all the cranking and no starts I thought maybe just maybe this was a timing belt slip like what happened to a friend of mine years ago. So the next day I took the valve cover off, removed the spark plug, used a rod inside, turned the crank until the rod reached its peak and confirmed the cam gears were aligned.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

I bought a new valve cover gasket and grommets and spent some good time cleaning it all up so it would not leak in the future .

Click here to enlarge

A week or more had gone by. He now is using the overheating car to get to work. On the weekend, I decided to swap the distributor thinking that maybe the crank sensor inside of it went bad and it wasnít sparking at the right time .

Click here to enlarge

That was a fail. It did not even remotely help it start. They were swapped back to their own.

By this time Iíve read over the manual and looked at all the schematics . Iíve purchased two 9v batteries to get my multimeters working. I went searching for a test light but couldnít find a non LED version that can be used on ignitions.

So I thought i found one and it turns out itís a 90v to 300v light most likely for houses. So I pulled out a bulb from my 335i and wired a red /black 2 foot harness to it. Then I hooked it up to the ICM to see if it was triggering the coil. It seemed to be so i eliminated it as a cause. I also ohmíd Out the plug wires to make sure they were in spec.

Click here to enlarge

Another day I decided that i needed to go back and test the injectors because although we replaced the main relay and they should be getting 12v, I never actually verified there was anything there. So I took my meter out and spent some time removing the clip. There was 12v.

My brother thought it was still the spark spark plugs even though we did a test with spark for cylinder 1 , so he replaced all 4 with new ones. After cranking i pulled them back out and they were wet on all 4. At this point Iím thinking WTF. There is spark, there is fuel, there is ICM trigger so it sees the crank and is firing injectors as well. I previously verified bottom end and cams are aligned.

So I thought maybe there was a ground missing or not an effective ground. I spent days going over the harness and looking it over . I fixed some harness hacks by resoldering and heat shrinking injector harness and grounds for sensors. I removed the engine ground straps and cleaned the bolts and surfaces. I double checked the secret ground that stops the car from starting that some people who do swaps might miss. I also spent some time trying to figure out two wires I was unsure about that were touching. There were notnsuppose to be and I cut them, and installed head shrink. I found a random 12 gauge black wire by the axle that led inside down a rabbit hole and under the seat. It did nothing and not sure where it went from there but i didnít feel like ripping out interior.

I moved on to the ignition switch testing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Didn't think I would see a thread in this section.

I don't know anything about integras but maybe @gringotegra can find his way to this thread

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

What a damn mess!

I was trying to test the ignition harness and it seemed to fail the test so i removes it from the car but had to cut off the alarm wires to fully remove it.

After getting it on the bench and using the book to verify the pins it failed. I thought i found the culprit. I pulled off the cover to the switch so I could visually see it not making contact.

Click here to enlarge

After getting it back together I realized the book had its reference from the back of the connector and not the front face of the connector. I also realized why the harness test would fail while on the car whether or not I had the pins right. The harness is cut and split to the alarm. So now the harness is back to stock for troubleshooting purposes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well if you didn’t think we were having enough trouble, this happened to the other integra that was overheating.

Click here to enlarge

thats rod number 1 coming out behind the AC compressor. Luckily he was able to put out the fire.

That pile of junk is now a parts car for us lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Whenever we figure out what is causing the no start I want to know how to tune the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well I decided to check the power and ground at the ECU . The manual doesn’t have the PIN numbers but I found this image.

Click here to enlarge

the result is that there is power and ground reaching the Demon ECU.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here are some images of the manual.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

You can see how the fused power reaches the main fuel relay and powers the ECU , injectors, goes to a connector junction block and disperses to other various sensors.

There is is no anti theft on this year and it’s manual so there is nothing stopping it. The starter does crank so that isn’t the issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here was the test I performed on the distributor. It’s really helpful figuring out if the coil is bad or the ICM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I finally got my hands on another OBD1 ecu and was able to get the car started. It was still running 560cc injectors off of the stock ecu so smoke was coming out the exhaust and it was having a hard time staying on.

I found a set of stock injectors and swapped them out. Car starts and idles fine now.

In the mean time, I have been trying to research Neptune and how everyone tunes their turbo integras. Since the tiny BR2033A battery went dead, I assume it lost its saved tune. I was able to download the Neptune software and found a usb cable to hook up the ecu. To my amazement , with WiFi/Internet, it linked and ran the serial number and let me get to the next step.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t much further . Although I could connect to it, I was not able to download the base code or configuration. I wish it was like the BMW group where people had bin files to share. I wanted to try to reload a tune and see if it starts once. Then I could confirm that the soldered on battery is causing the no start. As far as I can tell, with a multimeter, the battery is dead. From what I’ve read, as long as the car is on, it will keep the basecode.

So for now , I will try to order a new part on Allied Electronics. Then I will try to find someone with a base code.

oh yeah forgot. This ecu is a unique one and i have no idea what version they loaded on it. It’s a UK version ECU. When searching Neptune data it said the ecu didn’t exist. So at this point I’m wondering if we should find a GSR ecu and start over or just keep heading down this path.

i reached out to customer service a few days ago and heard nothing back.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ///MPOSTER Click here to enlarge
    oh yeah forgot. This ecu is a unique one and i have no idea what version they loaded on it. It’s a UK version ECU. When searching Neptune data it said the ecu didn’t exist. So at this point I’m wondering if we should find a GSR ecu and start over or just keep heading down this path.

i reached out to customer service a few days ago and heard nothing back.
    Sounds like you're having fun...
    Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

IPD plenum for Porsche 991.2 3.0 for sale: $650