Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Unhappy I blew my engine. Should I rebuild a n54 at 180k?

I was out racing my 335i with 153k miles this weekend. After my last pull, I noticed that my engine was stumbling, almost misfiring but, not throwing any codes. I did a compression check today on a warm engine and here is what I got.

Cyl1: 90 PSI Click here to enlarge
    Cyl2: 135 PSI
    Cyl3: 130 PSI
    Cyl4: 140 PSI
    Cyl5: 120 PSI
    Cyl6: 135 PSI

I found a good deal on a n54 longblock with 180k on it. Since my car is still running, I was thinking about getting it and rebuilding it for the swap. Which would include honing, new piston rings, crank machining(if needed), new rod and main bearings.
    I would probably run this block for about year till I can get my old engine close decked and fully built.

Is it a good idea to rebuild a 180k motor? Will it last longer with the rebuild or are the rods going to be to stressed? Or should I just install it without rebuilding it and chance the motor lasting long enough. I usually replace things on this car twice when I half ass something so, I'm leaning away from that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kylerwinterd Click here to enlarge
    I was out racing my 335i with 153k miles this weekend. After my last pull, I noticed that my engine was stumbling, almost misfiring but, not throwing any codes. I did a compression check today on a warm engine and here is what I got.
    Well first of all, I think it's impressive it lasted 153k.

What power level were you at and how many miles at it?

Is it a good idea to rebuild a 180k motor? Will it last longer with the rebuild or are the rods going to be to stressed?
    Let's see what guys say @alex@ABRhouston

Wouldn't this be a perfect time to replace the rods and pistons? I mean, 180k is a lot.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I would replace rods. I would only leave them if
    A. The motor was never tuned to higher boost levels.
    B. You are planning on running stock boost levels.
    Other than that, now is the time to upgrade.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well first of all, I think it's impressive it lasted 153k.

What power level were you at and how many miles at it?
    I've owned it since 119k and have had it tuned for about 10k-15k. I'm impressed it ran so well with compression down on all cylinders. I think the previous owner beat the $#@! out of it. The clutch petal rubber cover was missing(my guess is to launch) and had the stock rear axle fail @138k with no launches on my part.

Let's see what guys say @alex@ABRhouston

Wouldn't this be a perfect time to replace the rods and pistons? I mean, 180k is a lot.
    I'm thinking of replacing them but with my luck, I would have the pistons fail and eat up my block and rods.

The most I do with my car is e40 on new stock turbos for the weekend to race. I daily drive on mhd stage 2+. My budget for my car is around $600-$900 a month but I'm going though a carrier change though the next year or two and am expecting my salary to be doubled. Hence the reason I'm trying to wait on completely building the engine.
    08' BMW 335xi, 153k Miles

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm thinking of replacing them but with my luck, I would have the pistons fail and eat up my block and rods.
    I understand but what makes you think the 180k block will last or that it hasn't been beaten on?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I understand but what makes you think the 180k block will last or that it hasn't been beaten on?
    Because it's the new 2JZ!Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Joking Aside, I wouldn't know if the block would last. I've been reading and all of the block failures I could find were with 550hp+ and failed because it wasn't close decked and the walls stretched out. Most of the failures I can find in my power range are rod bearing, piston failure and, bent rods. At-least half of the failures seem to be caused by detonation. I might just bite the bullet and get rods as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There was a guy in the UK did similar. Apparently running 99ron (93 octane) at 26 psi on Chinese Turbos. Had superknock codes and a cylinder came up short on compression.

I doubt he was running 3 degrees of timing. Can't believe it. Click here to enlarge
    I can only imagine he never check logs to see the engine trying to save itself from all the knock it must have been experiencing. He also plans to build the engine and he's got about 155k miles on it.
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.
    11.74@129 on GCs.
    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, custom bucketless stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AWSAWS Click here to enlarge
    There was a guy in the UK did similar. Apparently running 99ron (93 octane) at 26 psi on Chinese Turbos. Had superknock codes and a cylinder came up short on compression.

I doubt he was running 3 degrees of timing. Can't believe it. Click here to enlarge
    I can only imagine he never check logs to see the engine trying to save itself from all the knock it must have been experiencing. He also plans to build the engine and he's got about 155k miles on it.
    Ding ding

But really the only time those codes came up was when running low on fuel and when iat became excessive with a small intercooler.
    I checked the logs after every pull.
    335I 518whp, Chinesium FCBO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I deserved my engine to blow. I've had super knock codes come up on my scanner more times than I can count on my hand. I just needed that intercooler but I never got one. I was planning on buying one the week my engine blew.

Rebuilding my engine is going to give me a good opportunity to un$#@! my car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I deserved my engine to blow. I've had super knock codes come up on my scanner more times than I can count on my hand. I just needed that intercooler but I never got one. I was planning on buying one the week my engine blew.
    Not sure why you procrastinated but glad you're taking responsibility and knew the risk.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Not sure why you procrastinated but glad you're taking responsibility and knew the risk.
    Money was the issue. I bought this car at 18 and couldn't afford to maintain it or keep up with the mods. I'm going to rebuild it myself because I then I know it will be done right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Money was the issue. I bought this car at 18 and couldn't afford to maintain it or keep up with the mods.
    Nothing to be ashamed of there.

I'm going to rebuild it myself because I then I know it will be done right.
    Good attitude.