Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2434 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Ghassan Automotive fully pinned N54 crankshaft hub - $495

I think most of you know @GhassanAutomotive had crank hub issues at TX2K.

Seems they are releasing their own solution now:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ghassan Automotive
    So after having problems with the crankshaft hub at @tx2k, we’ve decided to engineer our solution with the help of a very skilled local machinist. We present to you the Ghassan Automotive fully pined crankshaft hub, retails for $495, special pricing for the first ten purchases at $395 only. This solution is only available with the purchase of Ghassan Automotive remanufactured engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thank you for sharing this @Sticky. We are here to answer any questions or take any orders.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I guess no one remembers when TPG tried to cut grooves and drill holes into the stock crank sprockets? It did not work then, and it will not work now. What you have set up there is a way to lose not only came to crank timing, but also oil pressure when the gears fail at the groove you cut in them. You may be having some success now, but that does not trump experience and research. Go ahead, and sell this solution, same as the other guys did 2-3 years ago. Experience is a great teacher, but only if you learn from it directly or from others. Those who don't are destined to make the same mistakes.

Joe, you have some of those failed photos right here on your forum. I cannot post them or links or I would. There is a lot of them. These pictures here show something that looks great on paper. Paper does not always translate to the real world. My suggestion do your testing before selling anything

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2434 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Joe, you have some of those failed photos right here on your forum. I cannot post them or links or I would.
    I understand what you are saying and people should be informed of all the designs. Chris can post if necessary. I did look over the thread and the pics are there for reference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I guess no one remembers when TPG tried to cut grooves and drill holes into the stock crank sprockets? It did not work then, and it will not work now. What you have set up there is a way to lose not only came to crank timing, but also oil pressure when the gears fail at the groove you cut in them. You may be having some success now, but that does not trump experience and research. Go ahead, and sell this solution, same as the other guys did 2-3 years ago. Experience is a great teacher, but only if you learn from it directly or from others. Those who don't are destined to make the same mistakes.

Joe, you have some of those failed photos right here on your forum. I cannot post them or links or I would. There is a lot of them. These pictures here show something that looks great on paper. Paper does not always translate to the real world. My suggestion do your testing before selling anything
    The design is significantly different Click here to enlarge 1/3 the size.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So at what hp levels do we start to see failures where this upgrade, regardless of whom it's from for the time being, is recommended?
    2008 E90 335i 6MT soon to be drag car
    Doc Race 6466

Instagram: @waffles_bmw

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2434 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SJ_1989 Click here to enlarge
    So at what hp levels do we start to see failures where this upgrade, regardless of whom it's from for the time being, is recommended?
    I think it's tough to answer because it depends on rpm, use, shift speed, etc.

It's insurance once you get to higher levels as pinpointing exactly when it will spin on you is almost impossible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Can this be turned into a spline (like an axle shaft) that might hold the power vs just the one key way? Has that been tried? Disclaimer I have no N54 engine build experience so sorry if a stupid question comes across. thx

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by n54dragracer Click here to enlarge
    Can this be turned into a spline (like an axle shaft) that might hold the power vs just the one key way? Has that been tried? Disclaimer I have no N54 engine build experience so sorry if a stupid question comes across. thx
    I did a little self educating on the inter web Click here to enlarge pulled up your site and you are on it with the spline lock, seems like a good method / fix. No need to answer this one. Sorry apparently I live under a rock and should research before asking.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Was this in response to their VTT spline lock failing? I thought we were still waiting on an official conclusion? Also seems like the same idea of TPG's solution (that failed horribly), but this one has one long key instead of a ball thing. I wonder if it'll work...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2434 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Magnusk77 Click here to enlarge
    but this one has one long key instead of a ball thing. I wonder if it'll work...
    I guess we'll find out.

How long until this is installed and tested @GhassanAutomotive?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I guess we'll find out.

How long until this is installed and tested @GhassanAutomotive?
    Should have the test engine fired up tonight or tomorrow, we went back to a stock engine for both cost savings if a failure happens as well as to get as close as possible to the average consumer engine set up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its for sure going to fail and broski vendor will be crickets....
    Cadillac CTS-V - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Based on the pics I do see some improvements over the TPG hub. TPG's use of a pin to engage the slot focused forces on a very small spot (think bike tire on road). Depth of the slot also weakened the gear in that spot. Ghassan's solution appears to be shallower cut but rectangular key could still be stronger due to the larger engagement area.

That being said, another thread mentioned these sprockets are cast; I'd be a little weary of doing any sort of modification to them if that's the case. Would prefer to see them replaced with a stronger billet option or something.

TPG Failure:
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    H O O N

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

The biggest difference that everyone is not noticing, is that we pinned both sprockets and the hub to the crank, TPG pinned just the timing sprocket if I'm not mistaken. That would not stop the hub from slipping, once the hub slips, you're surely going to break the gear, because when your valves hit the pistons, it's going to try and stop the timing chain from rotating, causing the gear to break.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2434 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Let's wait and see how it holds. At least they seem to be trying something different although I do think there are a couple proven solutions at this point holding big power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Let's wait and see how it holds. At least they seem to be trying something different although I do think there are a couple proven solutions at this point holding big power.
    If MAXPSI was in stock I’d have one installed and not mess with it. No reason to reinvent the wheel, however they are out of stock and the season just started ����

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I will say the production piece that I've been most partial too thus far is also the Max Psi setup. Hopefully they can get them more readily available, and perhaps do a bit better with cost. Also I've seen another vendor (Hydra) develop a one-off as well that looked very robust. Best of luck here and hope it fairs well for you, if not you can always make the improvements needed to get it where you need it to be.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thank you sir. We are only pushing for the community.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2434 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GhassanAutomotive Click here to enlarge
    If MAXPSI was in stock I’d have one installed and not mess with it. No reason to reinvent the wheel, however they are out of stock and the season just started ����
    Not sure why wouldn't go with Gintani consider it's a better design anyway: https://www.bimmerboost.com/content....s-single-piece

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Snertz Click here to enlarge
    That being said, another thread mentioned these sprockets are cast; I'd be a little weary of doing any sort of modification to them if that's the case. Would prefer to see them replaced with a stronger billet option or something.
    Most billets are cast, rolled, or extruded but fewer are forged.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maxnix Click here to enlarge
    Most billets are cast, rolled, or extruded but fewer are forged.
    That is true but even if that billet is cast or rolled, something that is milled out of that billet for the aftermarket is still going to be a lot stronger than an OEM casting which are a lot of times very poor quality. The OEM's cast as close as possible to the final shape of the part with the least amount of machining necessary to save cost and this leads to limitations in part geometry and also poor quality surface finish or porosity if they try a complicated cast shape.
    TLDR: Its easier to get a very high quality casting of just a solid billet than it is a complicated geometry part.
    Cadillac CTS-V - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure why wouldn't go with Gintani consider it's a better design anyway: https://www.bimmerboost.com/content....s-single-piece
    I do not believe they offer it to the N54 platform.

Also an update, we've gone 9.63 @ 143 mph in the 1/4 with our hub design, with over 10 1.3sec 60' times, many street pulls, rev match shifts, no lift shifts... etc. It is safe to say our design works.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2434 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GhassanAutomotive Click here to enlarge
    I do not believe they offer it to the N54 platform.
    That's a good point.