Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N54 data log

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

N54 data log

Hello everyone. I am new to engine tuning as far as soft ware tunes are concerned. You experts please take a look at this short data log and tell me what jumps out at you. Like I said I am new to this but 55years as a master aircraft mech This log said to me this tune is ---- I don,t want to say more until I read some responses. N54 stock stage 11 turbo catless down pipes dual air intake and this tune to adjust for the turbo change. I promise I will tell what happened to this motor next post.2019-03-02 13_09_47 I8A0S .csvClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Moved to the N54 section

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    log is worthless. get in 3rd gear and log wide open throttle from 2k - 7k and then upload to datazap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

this tune is on a new motor that is not broke in. this tune was on the original and it cracked all six pistons and warped the head on a wide open run. look at the FAR at 2500 rpm already bad

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hesitate to say. I am waiting to see if anyone else sees the issue with the FAR. I have retuned the brand new engine with MHD tune installed by Ghassan. The previous, the data you saw was active autowerks. It could have been the installer error. I am currently deciding how to handle the ruined motor. That is some of the reason I wanted others to look at the data log. Thanks for your input. It is appreciated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is there a way for a tuner to pull the MHD file and look at it without him running this engine again?

Do you have the log when the motor blew the first time? Or a log around that time?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

N54 tune

unfortunately no I ask the installer for the data log when I picked up the car. He did not have one. So I left with the car drove it about 65 miles and the engine started running rough and smoking. Took it back and the repair shop did a leak down test and said my motor was leaking around the pistons because of wear and tear. The motor was fine going to the shop. I did not know all the pistons were cracked until tear down. So when the new motor was installed we ran the old tune to verify our suspicions ,that lean FAR was the culprit.. Ghassan who built my new motor immediately retuned using MHD for fear of burning up the new motor. So hear I am learning a valuable and costly lesson. I was hoping the short data file on the new motor might be proof enough to confront the installer that his tune ruined my motor. That's the reason for the post. If You experts noticed a definite problem then I would feel more comfortable about my desire to confront the shop. Thanks for your time The bad tune was not MHD.Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Money Mike; 03-05-2019 at 07:38 PM. Reason: addition

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So Ghassen told you all 6 pistons were cracked of you saw all 6 pistons were cracked?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I looked at the parts .The pistons are all cracked between the rings, Two intake valves are cracked and the head is warped. The bearings are scored. The core is junk. Before I decided to put money in the motor the cyl were bore scoped and leak checked and a soap sample done.( Aircraft maint. habits) The low end was solid that's why I decided to keep the car and put some money in it. The plugs are as white as the panama city beach.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks again for the comments. My wife and I are both retired aircraft mech. and car nuts. Are new hobby is track days. I guess this is my initiation to the sport. The bright side to this is the wife got a new M2 because of the 535 fiasco.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Money Mike Click here to enlarge
    unfortunately no I ask the installer for the data log when I picked up the car. He did not have one. So I left with the car drove it about 65 miles and the engine started running rough and smoking. Took it back and the repair shop did a leak down test and said my motor was leaking around the pistons because of wear and tear. The motor was fine going to the shop. I did not know all the pistons were cracked until tear down. So when the new motor was installed we ran the old tune to verify our suspicions ,that lean FAR was the culprit.. Ghassan who built my new motor immediately retuned using MHD for fear of burning up the new motor. So hear I am learning a valuable and costly lesson. I was hoping the short data file on the new motor might be proof enough to confront the installer that his tune ruined my motor. That's the reason for the post. If You experts noticed a definite problem then I would feel more comfortable about my desire to confront the shop. Thanks for your time The bad tune was not MHD.Click here to enlarge
    Well @GhassanAutomotive is a vendor here so maybe we can get their view on all this...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ghassan has been very helpful, I am trying not to put him in the middle but I am sure he will be straight about the reason the motor was destroyed. He has seen the data log and was shocked! He also has the partsClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Can you post some pictures?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I will try to take some this weekend. The parts are at Ghassan's shop.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ghassan has been very helpful, I am trying not to put him in the middle but I am sure he will be straight about the reason the motor was destroyed. He has seen the data log and was shocked! He also has the partsClick here to enlarge
    I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in @GhassanAutomotive

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Hey guys, sorry for the late response, SUPER busy getting ready for TX2K but here is the overall story that I gathered from Mike's statements as well as my findings. Mike took his 535i to an independent shop, let's call that shop, "SHOP A," the vehicle went into shop A for a wastegate rattle, shop A upgraded the turbo to a VTT Stage 1, Mike wanted to dyno the car and had a goal of 500whp. Shop A recommended a tune (Not MHD), after the dyno shop A had fuel pressure issues and ended up replacing the HPFP, LPFP and some other parts. Shop A kept complaining of misfires and fuel pressure issues. Eventually, the vehicle was released to Mr.Mike, and according to Mike, Mike was told that the car was tested and it ran well.
    Mike took the vehicle, and after a few hard pulls, the engine started smoking like a freight train. Took the car back to shop A and it was determined that the engine failed due to wear and tear. Mike then brought his car to Ghassan Automotive, and we confirmed that the engine had low compression on all six cylinders, we ended up installing a fully remanufactured engine with the upgraded forged pistons as they are lighter and can handle much higher power outputs. After pulling his old engine (the core), we disassembled the core and found five out of 6 pistons visibly cracked to the naked eye, one piston had low compression reading, but no visible crack was noticed. The valves were in rough shape as a few had hairline cracks as well. All of that were signs of running the engine lean. After our install was completed with the initial break-in done, we test drove the car with Mr.Mike while logging the old tune (not MHD) and just on partial throttle, 5-6 psi of boost, the AFRs were hitting 17+. After confirming the lean condition, we flashed a stage 0 MHD map, tested, and the AFRs were where they needed to be. Overall, we think this is a bad tune combined with shop A's failure to catch the error early on. The tune is a very reputable tuner. All this information is based on knowledge provided and observed by us, and we did not mention any names as we do not have the other side of the story.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here are some pictures. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GhassanAutomotive Click here to enlarge
    Here are some pictures. https://imgur.com/a/6rzy4pf
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry to hear about the whole senario, hope you get it all figured out with some sort of compensation.

The plus is now you have a good motor and a M2!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can we list the tuner so people know to stay away? Or to get the Turner's input. Everyone knows that is too lean, even a noob.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

N54 tune

OK the shop was Edmond Motorwerks. I don't want to mention the tune he said he used because he did not supply me with any information from the well known company. For all I know it could have been a bootleg of a budy of his. I am in the process of compiling all my notes and will soon notify the company that owns the tune to see if they can verify it was there work. The tune he uses is listed on his web site I think. I want to thank all of you for answering my thread I think it will help support my case. Mike

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OK the shop was Edmond Motorwerks. I don't want to mention the tune he said he used because he did not supply me with any information from the well known company. For all I know it could have been a bootleg of a budy of his. I am in the process of compiling all my notes and will soon notify the company that owns the tune to see if they can verify it was there work. The tune he uses is listed on his web site I think. I want to thank all of you for answering my thread I think it will help support my case. Mike
    You're handling this all very well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thanks believe me I have moments ******!!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So after modifying the car beyond stock did you take it to a dyno to verify how things were running? Did you take any precautions by installing a boost gauge and a Air/Fuel gauge to monitor your now modified motor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast