Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2403 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Successful and reliable N54 engine builds?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Deen@streetkingimports Click here to enlarge
    Can we talk about how almost every built engine has issues?
    Care to elaborate?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Care to elaborate?
    I don't want to point fingers and start arguing, but it doesn't take long to see how many people have had issues with their built engines, I know someone was paid to keep on the hush hush. I know of at least 3 "engine builders" who royally butchered customers engines. I've seen pics as well. It's not my place to speak.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2403 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Deen@streetkingimports Click here to enlarge
    I don't want to point fingers and start arguing, but it doesn't take long to see how many people have had issues with their built engines, I know someone was paid to keep on the hush hush. I know of at least 3 "engine builders" who royally butchered customers engines. I've seen pics as well. It's not my place to speak.
    I get your position. These things get swept under the rug.

It's also amusing to see people thinking built motors are so easy. They aren't. Many fail before the right recipe is figured out and some never get there.

People had this attitude early on that cams were easy too. They aren't.

Users are regularly paid or compensated to keep failures off the forums. Standard practice believe it or not.

Anyway, would be good to get a list of reliable N54 engine builders/builds with miles on them at high boost going.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I get your position. These things get swept under the rug.

It's also amusing to see people thinking built motors are so easy. They aren't. Many fail before the right recipe is figured out and some never get there.

People had this attitude early on that cams were easy too. They aren't.

Users are regularly paid or compensated to keep failures off the forums. Standard practice believe it or not.

Anyway, would be good to get a list of reliable N54 engine builders/builds with miles on them at high boost going.
    Do you know of any that you can think of? I sure don't lol. Building an engine like an n54 that has ZERO tolerance for error is hard, anyone who tells you different is a liar. Some companies now are offering warranty but the moment these engines fail within 1000 miles they start pointing fingers. It's sad to think about a platform that has been around for about 12 years, still does not have reputable engine builders. Most of these vendors are too busy competing with each other trying to keep their piece of the pie, which I get that's how you make a living but couldn't all of these "great minds" come together and perfect the platform. It's not like the 2jz was that amazing up until the after market support showed up. Only difference is those cars are worth something and these cars aren't. Stop arguing about who makes better hybrids and who makes better fittings... Lmao

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is very simple. Shops that all of a sudden offer "built motor" services are A. Farming them out to local machine shops. Simply ask them who they use to ensure its an actual machine shop that should be doing this kind of work. Or B. They are winging it and making claims. A. Generally can be ok, B, are the ones to avoid.

We went with A. While I can, and do routinely, and successfully assemble all our long blocks, etc, etc. I will not touch actual engine assembly, for our "built" motors I went to Rebello (very well know, and highly regarded in the I6 Datsun/Nissan world), and they spent the time to develop all new parts, and techniques for building these motors, and have done so very successfully. The only person currently running then are me Terry, and he is making 765WHP on GC's and is beyond happy. I had nothing by problems with my first, second, and third built motor built by another shop which will be unnamed. I brought it to Rebello, and they noted MANY glaring problems with the motor.

It's not magic, but quality engine assembly is akin to rocket science. Bottom line, buy "built" motors carefully. If we had more time I would push the VTT/Rebello built motor program more aggressively, but time is not something I have a lot of...
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 01-10-2019 at 06:35 PM.
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    N54 1/2 Mile U.S. Record: 173.68MPH
    N55 World Record: 11.7ET / 122.7MPH (MT)
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 699WHP / 714WTQ
    N54 Twin Turbo World Record: 908WHP/ 761WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record: 585WHP / 537WTQ
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge Website - Email
    #VTTDOMINATION #VTT #VARGASTURBO #VTTFAMILY #VTTINNOVATION

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Is very simple. Shops that all of a sudden offer "built motor" services are A. Farming them out to local machine shops. Simply ask them who they use to ensure its an actual machine shop that should be doing this kind of work. Or B. They are winging it and making claims. A. Generally can be ok, B, are the ones to avoid.

We went with A. While I can, and do routinely, and successfully assemble all our long blocks, etc, etc. I will not touch actual engine assembly, for our "built" motors I went to Rebello (very well know, and highly regarded in the I6 Datsun/Nissan world), and they spent the time to develop all new parts, and techniques for building these motors, and have done so very successfully. The only person currently running one is Terry, and he is making 765WHP on GC's and is beyond happy. I had nothing by problems with my first, second, and third built motor which will be unnamed. I brought it to Rebello, and they noted MANY glaring problems with the motor.

It's not magic, but quality engine assembly is akin to rocket science. Bottom line, buy "built" motors carefully. If we had more time I would push the VTT/Rebello built motor program more aggressively, but time is not something I have a lot of...
    Last time I reached out to rebello they stated to reach out to you if I wanted a built engine and they refused to deal with me or anyone directly. Is that still the case? No need to name, but I'm aware of at least ABR who also screwed one of my friends as well. If you're not interested in doing a vtt/rebello at least shed information on how a normal consumer can aquire an engine that's not built by idiots with claims lol. I'm well aware that you do push the platform and have alot of experience in dealing with n54 engines.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Last time I reached out to rebello they stated to reach out to you if I wanted a built engine and they refused to deal with me or anyone directly. Is that still the case? No need to name, but I'm aware of at least ABR who also screwed one of my friends as well. If you're not interested in doing a vtt/rebello at least shed information on how a normal consumer can aquire an engine that's not built by idiots with claims lol. I'm well aware that you do push the platform and have alot of experience in dealing with n54 engines.
    Rebello will only sell N54 motors to us, its a deal we worked out with them. The engine program is alive, and well. A local customer just picked up a motor, and head about 20 minutes ago. I just do not push them as hard as I could on as I do not have time. If you want something email me, I can get you pricing...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Rebello will only sell N54 motors to us, its a deal we worked out with them. The engine program is alive, and well. A local customer just picked up a motor, and head about 20 minutes ago. I just do not push them as hard as I could on as I do not have time. If you want something email me, I can get you pricing...
    I contacted them long time ago when I needed an engine but I ended up improvising, at some point I would like to build it, so for now I will refrain from contacting you and wasting your time until I'm actually ready. You're not running their built engine in your car?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I contacted them long time ago when I needed an engine but I ended up improvising, at some point I would like to build it, so for now I will refrain from contacting you and wasting your time until I'm actually ready. You're not running their built engine in your car?
    I am, I corrected my post as it read weird. Terry is the only person besides me. But his was just a normal build with pistons, and rods, no sleeves. etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am, I corrected my post as it read weird. Terry is the only person besides me. But his was just a normal build with pistons, and rods, no sleeves. etc.
    That's impressive to say the least, the power you're pushing with open deck. Any issues with false knock or is it still controlled with tuning

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's impressive to say the least, the power you're pushing with open deck. Any issues with false knock or is it still controlled with tuning
    100% issues with false knock. For that reason, we developed custom knock sensors that are plug and play with the factory DME that eliminate the issue. We offer them only with our built motors. Terry was shocked at how well they worked, before install even with the MHD knock sensor desensitized box checked the car was pulling massive amounts of timing, installed our sensors, and voila, issue gone, while still maintaining solid knock timing control...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    100% issues with false knock. For that reason, we developed custom knock sensors that are plug and play with the factory DME that eliminate the issue. We offer them only with our built motors. Terry was shocked at how well they worked, before install even with the MHD knock sensor desensitized box checked the car was pulling massive amounts of timing, installed our sensors, and voila, issue gone, while still maintaining solid knock timing control...
    That's amazing and I was unaware of this development, that's something to brag about for sure and something that I don't believe other "engine builders" possess. Do you guys or rebello offer some type of warranty on engine builds? When I spoke with one of the Rebello guys long time ago, they stated that they cover catastrophic failure but not sure what that may entail. We've seen time and time again the people who provide warranty end up blaming the customer lol. Which I get if the car didn't just run for 1000 miles and start smoking out of nowhere which is typically the break-in period.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good job.
    I've recently been reading about engine mods for the N54. I run your GC (v1.0) turbos up to around 25 psi on a daily with meth port injection. I have gone higher on special occasions but the flywheel issue looks to be occurring above 25 psi. The open deck design is always on my mind. Going closed deck etc is probably not financially feasible with me being based in the UK. I've also just had a daughter (7 months old) and purchased a house. I am forced to be better behaved in my decisions now. Click here to enlarge

I've always got the perception that the knock detection was the issue with the built engines but I always thought someone could work around it. If not with modifying the knock tables then adding different sensors. It's cool to hear that you've accomplished that. It'd be nice to see much faster N54s. With built engines they should really be far faster than they are today. The B58 engine looks interesting but I don't know what other weaker parts it may contain that limit it's power to below even a standard tuned N54.
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.
    11.74@129 on GCs.
    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, custom bucketless stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's amazing and I was unaware of this development, that's something to brag about for sure and something that I don't believe other "engine builders" possess. Do you guys or rebello offer some type of warranty on engine builds? When I spoke with one of the Rebello guys long time ago, they stated that they cover catastrophic failure but not sure what that may entail. We've seen time and time again the people who provide warranty end up blaming the customer lol. Which I get if the car didn't just run for 1000 miles and start smoking out of nowhere which is typically the break-in period.
    Built motor warranty is very very tricky. Why do most people go built motor? To push the envelope of power. At that point if you get a bad batch of fuel, your tuner makes a mistake, you overrev the engine, the list could go on, and it fails. Whos fault is that? Not the engine builder. The engines come with a 1-year unlimited mileage, limited warranty, any claims would need logs, etc. There is way too many variables, and too many "tooners" on this platform to slap out a generic warranty saying your built motor is covered if it fails before X timeframe.

As for the knock sensors, we keep that info close to the chest. We will sell them separately but they are pricy at $699 for both sensors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2403 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @alex@ABRhouston has several N54 and N55 motors under his belt so hopefully he can chime in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Built motor warranty is very very tricky. Why do most people go built motor? To push the envelope of power. At that point if you get a bad batch of fuel, your tuner makes a mistake, you overrev the engine, the list could go on, and it fails. Whos fault is that? Not the engine builder. The engines come with a 1-year unlimited mileage, limited warranty, any claims would need logs, etc. There is way too many variables, and too many "tooners" on this platform to slap out a generic warranty saying your built motor is covered if it fails before X timeframe.

As for the knock sensors, we keep that info close to the chest. We will sell them separately but they are pricy at $699 for both sensors.
    I agree with what you're saying but from what I've seen from few engine builds, engines fail within the break-in period or right off the bat. Something always gets overlooked and sometimes it takes few heat cycles and few runs to find out an issue, in some cases its right away. I'd rather send my car have the person do the break-in and send it back in good faith with their choice of tuner. This type of agreement would eliminate many issues. You out of most people know how it is dealing with a claimed "engine builder" that points fingers when they simply couldn't build the engine right so you could understand the circumstances of warranty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @alex@ABRhouston has several N54 and N55 motors under his belt so hopefully he can chime in.
    Hopefully he doesn't, he has many "claims" where are they??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2403 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hopefully he doesn't, he has many "claims" where are they??
    I don't know... but he has experience in that area.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't know... but he has experience in that area.
    How did that experience work out for vtt or my friend that he royally screwed over? Anyways I'm not turning this into an argument post lol, so moving on..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2403 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How did that experience work out for vtt or my friend that he royally screwed over? Anyways I'm not turning this into an argument post lol, so moving on..
    I have no experience with the stories you mention but have also seen Alex do great work and offer great insight.

Has every VTT turbo ever all time never had an issue? Or any turbo seller/manufacturer for that matter?

Are we talking about engine builds or pointing fingers?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have no experience with the stories you mention but have also seen Alex do great work and offer great insight.

Has every VTT turbo ever all time never had an issue? Or any turbo seller/manufacturer for that matter?

Are we talking about engine builds or pointing fingers?
    I don't own a single VTT product just throwing that out there so pointing fingers isn't one way or the other beneficial nor am I interested in starting an argument. I do agree that every manufacturer has issues but at least some that make claims can back it up, I've yet to see any claims come to light with this guy (Alex). Nonetheless, I've had issues with every single vendor in exception of a couple, as far as turn around times and even improper installation of upgraded parts, the difference is I don't go public with every issue I have because the companies I chose to deal with offer great customer service and let me tell you my car has been down for 3 months due to manufacturing issues as well as installation errors on upgraded parts but what I liked was that these vendors admitted fault and corrected it, something that some of these other vendors don't understand. I went single turbo because I didn't want to deal with the hybrid issues plus I like the look and sound much better on a single. But you're right pointing fingers isn't professional nor will it help this thread go anywhere, let's continue onto this thread being a thread where people can talk about their successful engine builds and who they used, having options is always a great thing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2403 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    let's continue onto this thread being a thread where people can talk about their successful engine builds and who they used, having options is always a great thing.
    Agreed.

So, more input from engine builders would certainly help and be appreciated. I've seen claims from a company called Arsenal with little to back them up.

Dinan's new venture Carbahn claims to have various engine builds although I never see results posted for them either.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Agreed.

So, more input from engine builders would certainly help and be appreciated. I've seen claims from a company called Arsenal with little to back them up.

Dinan's new venture Carbahn claims to have various engine builds although I never see results posted for them either.
    Only thing I heard about arsonal is their single turbo kit that never fit lol. As far as I know ghassan automotive, mmp, abr, motiv, arsonal, carbahn, and vtt/rebello, but I've yet to see results and input from unbiased users. We'll I've heard bad things about a few in that list.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2403 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Only thing I heard about arsonal is their single turbo kit that never fit lol.
    They make huge claims about engine builds and head work and can't get a single turbo to fit?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They make huge claims about engine builds and head work and can't get a single turbo to fit?
    This has been a while but last person I knew who bought their kit, the kit didn't fit as advertised, most people in this platform just make claims lol. We should be used to it by now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast