Close

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    75
    Rep Points
    222.5
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    CAT camshafts with ported N54 head dyno results

    Hey guys,

    for anyone interested in what the CAT cams are capable of over the stockies in conjunction with an upgraded cylinder head, here are 2 dyno graphs with the first being at a boost target of 20psi and the second 25psi.

    The previous best result at 20psi on the stock cams was a solid 400rwkW, so we picked up a nice 24rwkW at the same boost target. The 457rwkW result was at 25psi, so the engine produced slightly more power but with 3psi less boost pressure being required.

    On another note with the addition of the CAT cams power at low boost is still climbing at 7,200rpm and even at 25psi the power curve is still being held strongly to redline.

    Cheers,

    Justin.

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by JD75; 01-09-2019 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Revision

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    82
    Rep Points
    65.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    These results are with a ported head so it is not a direct comparison, I'd be interested the gains with a stock head with these cams.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    135,648
    Rep Points
    40,082.5
    Mentioned
    2403 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    401


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JD75 Click here to enlarge
    The previous best result at 20psi on the stock cams was a solid 400rwkW, so we picked up a nice 24rwkW at the same boost target. The 457rwkW result was at 25psi, so the engine produced slightly more power but with 3psi less boost pressure being required.
    Do you have the baseline graph before the cams?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Darwin, MN
    Posts
    233
    Rep Points
    432.2
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    0 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Graphs don't have the same crossover point (5,252 rpm), so any data is viewed this way (wheel speed) is unreliable.


    And a 44 peak hp gain with spending $3,000+, absolutely pathetic.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    232
    Rep Points
    911.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by iminhell1 Click here to enlarge
    Graphs don't have the same crossover point (5,252 rpm), so any data is viewed this way (wheel speed) is unreliable.


    And a 44 peak hp gain with spending $3,000+, absolutely pathetic.
    Of course the graphs don't cross at 5252 rpm because RPM isn't even displayed. Why would you say speed is unreliable?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    14
    Rep Points
    64.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Cause he's just talking $#@!. Good to see more options popping up

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,014
    Rep Points
    1,549.7
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by iminhell1 Click here to enlarge
    Graphs don't have the same crossover point (5,252 rpm), so any data is viewed this way (wheel speed) is unreliable.


    And a 44 peak hp gain with spending $3,000+, absolutely pathetic.
    I canít tell if youíre serious as why in the hell would a graph that isnít in hp and lb-ft crossover at 5252 rpm?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    8,778
    Rep Points
    3,928.1
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    40


    Yes Reputation No
    People that say cams are a bad investment are crazy. One of the best bang for your buck upgrades on the N54 currently after turbos.
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    N54 1/2 Mile U.S. Record: 173.68MPH
    N55 World Record: 11.7ET / 122.7MPH (MT)
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 699WHP / 714WTQ
    N54 Twin Turbo World Record: 908WHP/ 761WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record: 585WHP / 537WTQ
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge Website - Email
    #VTTDOMINATION #VTT #VARGASTURBO #VTTFAMILY #VTTINNOVATION

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Darwin, MN
    Posts
    233
    Rep Points
    432.2
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by langsbr Click here to enlarge
    Of course the graphs don't cross at 5252 rpm because RPM isn't even displayed. Why would you say speed is unreliable?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    I can’t tell if you’re serious as why in the hell would a graph that isn’t in hp and lb-ft crossover at 5252 rpm?

    MPH and RPM are linked.

    1st graph could be 4th gear while 2nd is 5th. That would explain why the crossover moves ... but I haven't gone over the math.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19
    Rep Points
    18.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    People that say cams are a bad investment are crazy. One of the best bang for your buck upgrades on the N54 currently after turbos.
    I have to agree here with Tony.
    The stock exhaust ports are terrible on the N54 head. The additional duration and lift on the exhaust cam profile help with reducing pump loss.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    888
    Rep Points
    1,102.0
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    People that say cams are a bad investment are crazy. One of the best bang for your buck upgrades on the N54 currently after turbos.
    Yo Tony the high lift cams you have were supposed to be mine, Mo sent you those and the stock lifts to me.

    Just wanted to $#@! about this lol

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    75
    Rep Points
    222.5
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Deen@streetkingimports Click here to enlarge
    These results are with a ported head so it is not a direct comparison, I'd be interested the gains with a stock head with these cams.
    Sorry I don't have that data as the engine was built with a VAC Stage 3 head, the CAT cams were added at a later date whilst we were playing with two different types of upgraded twins.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    75
    Rep Points
    222.5
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Do you have the baseline graph before the cams?
    Hey Sticky,

    here is the best result pre CAT cams at 28psi on the Stage 3.0 BB turbos.

    For what it's worth I suspect these Rally/Race cams need a higher comp' engine to really shine, as I mentioned in the other thread pertaining to PPM 9.5:1 compression pistons the duration of the CAT cams exceeds the cam timing adjustment available within the DME Vanos tables, these cams are not 100% dialled in.

    However if I recall correctly the difference between a 24psi target and 25psi target post cams was 17rwkW which was a pleasant surprise. We stopped at 25psi because on the day the engine developed a cylinder #1 misfire.

    Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by JD75; 01-14-2019 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Revision

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    75
    Rep Points
    222.5
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by iminhell1 Click here to enlarge
    MPH and RPM are linked.

    1st graph could be 4th gear while 2nd is 5th. That would explain why the crossover moves ... but I haven't gone over the math.
    No ALL runs on this 1M are in 4th gear, they should also be at a consistent ramp rate value of 200.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    8,778
    Rep Points
    3,928.1
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    40


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 93siro Click here to enlarge
    Yo Tony the high lift cams you have were supposed to be mine, Mo sent you those and the stock lifts to me.

    Just wanted to $#@! about this lol
    We ordered 3 sets of high lifts and a set of the low lifts. So he must have really messed up the order then.
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    N54 1/2 Mile U.S. Record: 173.68MPH
    N55 World Record: 11.7ET / 122.7MPH (MT)
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 699WHP / 714WTQ
    N54 Twin Turbo World Record: 908WHP/ 761WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record: 585WHP / 537WTQ
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge Website - Email
    #VTTDOMINATION #VTT #VARGASTURBO #VTTFAMILY #VTTINNOVATION

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    8,778
    Rep Points
    3,928.1
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    40


    Yes Reputation No
    Wait, did I miss that. The first graphs are with an unported head, then the comparison graphs, are with a ported head, and cams? If so you can throw these results as a comparison out the window, but they can be a representative of what a ported head and cams would do, not cams alone.
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    N54 1/2 Mile U.S. Record: 173.68MPH
    N55 World Record: 11.7ET / 122.7MPH (MT)
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 699WHP / 714WTQ
    N54 Twin Turbo World Record: 908WHP/ 761WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record: 585WHP / 537WTQ
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge Website - Email
    #VTTDOMINATION #VTT #VARGASTURBO #VTTFAMILY #VTTINNOVATION

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    75
    Rep Points
    222.5
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Wait, did I miss that. The first graphs are with an unported head, then the comparison graphs, are with a ported head, and cams? If so you can throw these results as a comparison out the window, but they can be a representative of what a ported head and cams would do, not cams alone.
    Hey Tony,

    the first 2 graphs are with a ported head AND the CAT cams, graph #1 was at 20psi and graph #2 was at 25psi. The 3rd graph I just posted up is with NO cams, just the ported Stage 3 VAC Motorsports head at 28psi.

    So basically with the addition of the CAT cams the engine makes slightly more power and holds power more strongly to 7,200rpm but with 3psi less boost pressure required from the turbos.

    Thanks,

    JD.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    3
    Rep Points
    6.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JD75 Click here to enlarge
    So basically with the addition of the CAT cams the engine makes slightly more power and holds power more strongly to 7,200rpm but with 3psi less boost pressure required from the turbos.

    Thanks,

    JD.
    "to 7,200 rpm" meaning that's your redline?

    I'm a noob though -- just want to understand why you wouldn't be revving to 8k?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    183
    Rep Points
    273.6
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JD75 Click here to enlarge
    So basically with the addition of the CAT cams the engine makes slightly more power and holds power more strongly to 7,200rpm but with 3psi less boost pressure required from the turbos.
    That's about the same results that I have found with an upgraded cam or higher ratio roller rockers.
    They make slightly more power at 2-3psi less. Turn the boost back up to where it was pre-cam and you will make even more power.

    More power at less boost, Even more power at same boost. Cam = 2-3psi worth of power.
    MILVs- +1mm Increase Intake Valve Lift for N52, N55, S55, N20 Engines
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ift-more-power

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Darwin, MN
    Posts
    233
    Rep Points
    432.2
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Wait, did I miss that. The first graphs are with an unported head, then the comparison graphs, are with a ported head, and cams? If so you can throw these results as a comparison out the window, but they can be a representative of what a ported head and cams would do, not cams alone.
    For some reason I read this as a stock head vs ported/cammed head.
    Now that you mention this and I go back to re-re-read I see I was wrong.



    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JD75 Click here to enlarge
    Hey Tony,

    the first 2 graphs are with a ported head AND the CAT cams, graph #1 was at 20psi and graph #2 was at 25psi. The 3rd graph I just posted up is with NO cams, just the ported Stage 3 VAC Motorsports head at 28psi.

    So basically with the addition of the CAT cams the engine makes slightly more power and holds power more strongly to 7,200rpm but with 3psi less boost pressure required from the turbos.

    Thanks,

    JD.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19
    Rep Points
    18.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    JD, which CAT cams did you test? There are 3 to chose from.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    9,046
    Rep Points
    11,682.1
    Mentioned
    713 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    117


    Yes Reputation No
    It's hard to get "clean" before and after data on cams as normally people change more than just the cams. While I'm not sold on the huge gains at some point you run out of stuff to change. And they definitely seem to open up top end power. So I guess why not. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •