Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Ditched the Cobb OTS for Custom Hydra Tune on 991.2 GTS

Thank you to Bobby and Steve at Hydra Motor Works in West Palm. I was having drive-ability issues with my Cobb Stage 1 OTS tune and picked up nearly 30hp and 20tq over the Cobb Tune. My GTS now roast the tires through 2nd! Overall drive-ability is way better than the Cobb.I'm not here to flame Cobb, I just couldnt wait any longer for their "stage 2" or "protuner" to be released......

Regardless, Hydra will be my tuner of choice moving forward with all my vehicles (and when I go larger turbo's) Click here to enlarge

Before Dyno with Cobb attached and then after with Hydra. I could of also picked up about 10hp, and 10tq if I let the car cool down, these runs were done hot!

Mods are: AMS IC's, BMC Filter, IPD Plenum, Agency Power Catless Exhaust, Kline Headers, and Hyrdra Tune.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For some reason it wont let me paste the video. Google "Hydra Motor Works Instagram" and it's the red GTS on the dyno...
    Last edited by flsupraguy; 12-06-2018 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flsupraguy Click here to enlarge
    For some reason it wont let me paste the video. Google "Hydra Motor Works Instagram" and it's the red GTS on the dyno...
    Heh that's the one I asked for a graph of.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Before Dyno with Cobb attached and then after with Hydra. I could of also picked up about 10hp, and 10tq if I let the car cool down, these runs were done hot!
    Where is the before graph or before/after overlay?

Cobb is overrated and now you see it for yourself. A custom dyno tune with a competent tuner always wins.

Cobb has yet to even release Protuner software or Stage 2...

And yes, with upgraded turbos you will obviously want a custom dyno tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If your before dyno is the Mustang graph that doesn't help as the after is on a Dynojet.

Didn't Hydra do a baseline?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice dude, looks like your dyno chart could use a little more smoothing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm kind of surprised the GTS turbos don't hold better toward redline.

Much better than the Carrera obviously but the torque curve falls past 5500.

What we really need on these cars is top end gains as the torque down low is plenty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hydra said they didn't have time for a baseline. That's just... well. I don't have any nice way to put it so I won't say anything.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I also have the Hydra Tune and couldn't be happier. Don't mind sticky, his but got hurt when Hydra wasn't pushing his little turbo kit and him and his buddy's here bash everything he doesn't sell.
    Back on subject what turbo upgrade are you looking at going with? I hear Pure is working on one currently. Bobby, Steve, and Mike are awesome professional people that you want working on your car... They will be doing my tune when I go bigger turbos..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cosmo Click here to enlarge
    I also have the Hydra Tune and couldn't be happier. Don't mind sticky, his but got hurt when Hydra wasn't pushing his little turbo kit and him and his buddy's here bash everything he doesn't sell.
    Look, it's this simple.

If you wish to participate here and share concrete details do so by all means but if you are just going to troll I'm going to have to ask you to leave.

What do you mean don't mind me? It's great he got a custom tune which I highly recommend and I'm glad he is happy but you can not make a claim about power gains without a baseline as the two dyno types posted are completely different. The fact you don't get this is mind boggling. It's like the @PTS-BRG header thread all over again. Pointing out the lack of a baseline on Hydra's Dynojet isn't a negative but simply a fact when it comes to making output comparisons. Personally, I like Hydra's tuner and feel he is knowledgeable which is why I recommended him to you in the first place.

I'm not going to repeat myself. Grow up or get out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm kind of surprised the GTS turbos don't hold better toward redline.

Much better than the Carrera obviously but the torque curve falls past 5500.

What we really need on these cars is top end gains as the torque down low is plenty.
    I think you should say that unless he uses GTS stock ICs (if they are the same as ours'). I had my car on the dyno for nearly 2 dozen runs, it was nearly 100F in the room, with the stock file the torque curve goes smooth all the way to the end, however when tuned, without sufficient cooling to the IC you always see a dip of torque in the 5-6k rpm area due to hot charge air pilling up with the boost peak emerge after 4k and builds up traffic in the cooler, then the boost level is smoothen past 5.5k and IAT went down along with the torque goes up a little and keep that way til the end. The ECU commands throttle body to close to a certan level adapt that change to kill your torque.

The OP is using the AMS IC, and I'm not sure if he stripped the rear bumper off like me, but it looks like he's running 4th gear so the boost peaks a little earlier (it's factory level if ran 3rd gear torque should start at 3300 I guess ) and IAT should buit up earlier as well (looks like the gts is not running too much boost), I see the torque dipped at 4900 which is not bad actually the AMS IC heat up slower than stock only when it's cold, but after the IC is heated they don't recover as good as the stock so I guess that's why the top end don't keep up very well. you should see different result with factory ICs.

I managed to smoothen the curve and have little more topend power by fine tune some numbers like lambda and boost control, to keep throttle from closing, but that's all we can do before we have real improvement to the IAT issue.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Meth I need meth ;-)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

991.2 GTS owner ditches Cobb OTS tune citing driveability concerns for a custom dyno tune - Where is Cobb Stage 2 or their Protunes?

PorscheBoost Porsche Performance Forum member @flsupraguy tuned his 991.2 GTS with Cobb and he did a bit of research concerning supporting mods on the forums. To be fair to Cobb, their OTS 991.2 3.0 tune is not designed to work in conjunction with all supporting mods.

Click here to enlarge

It is not surprising a car can develop driveability issues when you add in headers, a plenum, and a catless exhaust the tune was not designed around.

The issue really comes down to the difference between something custom tailored for the application and a one-size fits all piece of software. Naturally, you want a custom tailored approach from a quality tuner when adding in supplemental modifications.

Here is what @flsupraguy had to say:

Thank you to Bobby and Steve at Hydra Motor Works in West Palm. I was having drive-ability issues with my Cobb Stage 1 OTS tune and picked up nearly 30hp and 20tq over the Cobb Tune. My GTS now roast the tires through 2nd! Overall drive-ability is way better than the Cobb.I'm not here to flame Cobb, I just couldnt wait any longer for their "stage 2" or "protuner" to be released......

Mods are: AMS IC's, BMC Filter, IPD Plenum, Agency Power Catless Exhaust, Kline Headers, and Hyrdra Tune.
    PorscheBoost does not doubt his impressions regarding driveability whatsoever. There is no doubt he is happier with the custom tune. PorscheBoost spoke with Hydra's tuner and he is knowledgeable and talented. No doubt a custom tune by a quality tuner will improve on an OTS tune.

What is not fair to Cobb is that the re-tune is being portrayed as picking up 30+ horsepower.

This is the Cobb baseline:

Click here to enlarge

Here is the Hydra result:

Click here to enlarge

Notice anything there? Something major like two completely different dynos? It is not fair to Cobb for the Hydra tune on a Dynojet to be portrayed as picking up 30 horsepower at the wheels versus Cobb on a Mustang dyno.

PorscheBoost asked Hydra why they did not do a baseline overlay. They claimed they did not have time. Frankly, once the car is on the dyno the excuse about 'no time' doesn't hold water. Plus, if they did not do a baseline what exactly were they working from? There had to be some baseline pulls or subsequent pulls. There was not just one pull.

Hydra had no problem mentioning they re-tuned a Cobb car yet if you are going to mention a competitor directly by name it is only fair to provide a proper baseline when making claims of improvement. Many other tuners do not even mention competitors they re-tune directly for the sake of professionalism or being seen as taking cheap shots.

The fair area to criticize Cobb here is not in power output but in a lack of Stage 2 software and protuner options. Cobb's tuners are just as talented (if not more so) than others and have done custom tuning applications on the 991.2 3.0.

Why Stage 2 and Protune applications for the 991.2 3.0 are taking so long to roll out from Cobb is anyone's guess. That certainly is not stopping some tuners from marketing at Cobb's expense in the meantime.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    PorscheBoost Porsche Performance Forum member @flsupraguy tuned his 991.2 GTS with Cobb and he did a bit of research concerning supporting mods on the forums. To be fair to Cobb, their OTS 991.2 3.0 tune is not designed to work in conjunction with all supporting mods.

It is not surprising a car can develop driveability issues when you add in headers, a plenum, and a catless exhaust the tune was not designed around.

The issue really comes down the difference between something custom tailored for the application and a one-size fits all piece of software. Naturally, you want a custom tailored approach from a quality tuner when adding in supplemental modifications.

Here is what @flsupraguy had to say:

PorscheBoost does not doubt his impressions regarding driveability whatsoever. There is no doubt he is happier with the custom tune. PorscheBoost spoke with Hydra's tuner and he is knowledgeable and talented. No doubt a custom tune by a quality tuner will improve on an OTS tune.

What is not fair to Cobb is that the re-tune is being portrayed as picking up 30+ horsepower.

This is the Cobb baseline:

Here is the Hydra result:

Notice anything there? Something major like two completely different dynos? It is not fair to Cobb for the Hydra tune on a Dynojet to be portrayed as picking up 30 horsepower at the wheels versus Cobb on a Mustang dyno.

PorscheBoost asked Hydra why they did not do a baseline overlay. They claimed they did not have time. Frankly, once the car is on the dyno the excuse about 'no time' doesn't hold water. Plus, if they did not do a baseline what exactly were they working from? There had to be some baseline pulls or subsequent pulls. There was not just one pull.

Hydra had no problem mentioning they re-tuned a Cobb car yet if you are going to mention a competitor directly by name it is only fair to provide a proper baseline when making claims of improvement. Many other tuners do not even mention competitor's they re-tune directly for the sake of professionalism or being seen as taking cheap shots.

The fair area to criticize Cobb here is not in power output but in a lack of Stage 2 software and protuner options. Cobb's tuners are just as talented (if not more so) than others and have done custom tuning applications on the 991.2 3.0.

Why Stage 2 and Protune applications for the 991.2 3.0 are taking so long to roll out from Cobb is anyone's guess. That certainly is not stopping some tuners from marketing at Cobb's expense in the meantime.
    Sticky, it was not Hydra that had no problem mentioning they retuned a Cobb car, it was 100% me. I completely agree it is not fair to say the hydra gave 30hp over cobb because different dynos were used and a baseline wasnt performed. I'm just mad cobb sold the world that their stage 2 tunes were right around the corner when they clearly were not (just like the rs3 and ttrs cobb tune release dilemma). Aside from better drivability there us certainly a increase in power. I'm going to redyno where the initial cobb tune was dynod to show the difference (other than atmospheric changes)....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sticky, it was not Hydra that had no problem mentioning they retuned a Cobb car, it was 100% me.
    It was on you the IG post which they confirmed and highlighted your link to the thread on the forum. You're right though it was you.

I completely agree it is not fair to say the hydra gave 30hp over cobb because different dynos were used and a baseline wasnt performed.
    I just want to highlight this to be fair.

I'm just mad cobb sold the world that their stage 2 tunes were right around the corner when they clearly were not (just like the rs3 and ttrs cobb tune release dilemma). Aside from better drivability there us certainly a increase in power. I'm going to redyno where the initial cobb tune was dynod to show the difference (other than atmospheric changes)....
    I do not doubt you got more power. Your own butt can confirm it as can your tires. It's just we don't know how much or where in the powerband.

You raise a valid point about Cobb's Stage 2 and Protuner efforts. Their whole 991.2 3.0 program seems to have various issues.

Going back on that Mustang dyno makes sense and would certainly provide more useful data. Just don't expect a huge bump in output based on the Dynojet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    fuel? pump gas 93?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    fuel? pump gas 93?
    yes

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is the custom tune limiting boost at lower rpm in order to place the peak power at peak rpm? Did you request a "NA" tune?

The torque curve looks like its shooting up from the start and then abruptly levels off at ~2,600rpm, then starts to rise again at ~3600rpm only to abruptly drop again at ~4000rpm, from there it looks like a more natural curve where the torque rises and then falls as the turbos are losing their efficiency.