Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Did I wreck my ECU? 07 335i

I hate to make my first post a leech thread, so I apologize in advance about that.

However the question remains the same..

I have an 07 BMW 335i, currently has JB4. I backed up my ECU earlier today , drove the car, came home, and modified a BMS BEF to flash onto my car (I just disabled the parameters for Catalyst inefficency codes, and the kickdown trigger).

Went out to flash the car, started the flash, completely didn't think about the fact that I drove the car earlier and I left it in Map 7.

Needless to say it erased SOMETHING, not sure if it bricked the JB4 or if it was able to actually erase the ECU, but then when it attempted to start writing it failed practically immediately and said the ECU was in recovery mode.

I cannot put JB4 in map 0 (with the steering wheel controls or the USB interface).

My assumption is that I need to physically remove JB4 from the car, and force write the flash onto the ECU, then reinstall JB4.. however I'm hoping I'm not the only idiot to have done this and can get some advice. Anyone care to chime in? Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 1slow3.0h Click here to enlarge
    I hate to make my first post a leech thread, so I apologize in advance about that.
    No big deal when you honestly ask for help.

Moved to a section which should get you some answers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    No big deal when you honestly ask for help.

Moved to a section which should get you some answers.
    Thanks buddy I appreciate it! I've gotten some feedback on a facebook group saying that I should unhook the battery to reset JB4 and it will default to Map 0, then reflash from there.

If anyone could confirm or deny that, that would be great.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks buddy I appreciate it! I've gotten some feedback on a facebook group saying that I should unhook the battery to reset JB4 and it will default to Map 0, then reflash from there.

If anyone could confirm or deny that, that would be great.
    Unhooking the JB4 is definitely the first place to start.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Unhooking the JB4 is definitely the first place to start.
    Unhooked JB4, attempted to flash again and came down with the same error.

Click here to enlarge

Got this error amongst also getting "Unable to erase memory" and "Unable to authenticate control module". I've tried force writing, and a normal complete write.. no dice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Got this error amongst also getting "Unable to erase memory" and "Unable to authenticate control module". I've tried force writing, and a normal complete write.. no dice.
    We've seen this before and the ECU's were recovered. I don't remember what the solution was though but don't worry.

Are you using 2.0?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We've seen this before and the ECU's were recovered. I don't remember what the solution was though but don't worry.

Are you using 2.0?
    I am, and on an AMD based laptop running Win10. It reads out my vin, but no voltage.. I get this error with both the modified BIN and my original backup.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am, and on an AMD based laptop running Win10. It reads out my vin, but no voltage.. I get this error with both the modified BIN and my original backup.
    @trevorlee02

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

I am not 100% but I think you have to force write it at this point.
    2010|335i|LMB|E92|6MT|MSport|Logic7|335is Clutch|AE Performance|BMS|Inline Walbro|VRSF 7"|Inlets|
    1992|Pontiac Firebird|Mild 355ci|T56|
    2001|Chevrolet Camaro| T56 LS1| Bolt-ons| -Sold
    -I will look on your treasures, gypsy. Is this understood?-

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 7plagues Click here to enlarge
    I am not 100% but I think you have to force write it at this point.
    I think he's right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Force write the BEF map, make sure your on a correct bin, I8A0S and not the wrong one. Also, one very very important thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, you have a 2007 N54, make sure your car is hooked up to a GOOD CHARGER. If no good charger is available then use jumper cables, this is a k-line car, it is very sensitive to voltages. Keep the JB4 off of the vehicle, do the back end flash then do a force write complete. If you have any other problems then email me, trevorlee02@gmail.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trevorlee02 Click here to enlarge
    Force write the BEF map, make sure your on a correct bin, I8A0S and not the wrong one. Also, one very very important thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, you have a 2007 N54, make sure your car is hooked up to a GOOD CHARGER. If no good charger is available then use jumper cables, this is a k-line car, it is very sensitive to voltages. Keep the JB4 off of the vehicle, do the back end flash then do a force write complete. If you have any other problems then email me, trevorlee02@gmail.com

I've been force writing, just bought a 50amp charger today and still no dice. I plan to stack it with jumper cables today to see if that provides enough voltage for me. I've emailed you as well, hoping maybe you can get me on the right track. Thanks for all your help man.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Update:

When I ID my ECU, it shows my software is I742S, however if I validate my original backup file (that was read successfully), it shows that software was I8A0S.

Could this be leading to my issue? I've read that I742s is an early software revision and can be updated to I8A0S via WinFKP however I'm confused as to why my backup shows I8A0S (Which is what my ECU originally ID'd as prior to being put in recovery).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Update:

Been speaking with Trevor and hes been doing some troubleshooting for me, hes looked through a couple of my log files and we've tried flashing one of his files with no luck.

Still stuck at "Failed to write sector 7F 34 40". I'm downloading the BMW standard tools today so we have a fallback if all else fails.

Huge shoutout to Trevor btw, hes a stand up guy and I appreciate him going out of his way to help.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Update v3:
    @trevorlee02 hopped on my system via Teamviewer again today and we went through some more diagnostic steps and failed to write via BB App and WinFKP, we both concluded that means it isn't a software issue and after some further troubleshooting confidently diagnosed the issue to be my cable.

I took his advice and ordered one from Bimmergeeks, and at this point we'll just have to wait for it to show up and go from there.

I just wanna throw another huge S/O to Trevor for all his help, hes been top notch throughout this process and how volunteered his time to help me and many others within the BMW community. I owe this man a beer.. or 10.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just wanna throw another huge S/O to Trevor for all his help, hes been top notch throughout this process and how volunteered his time to help me and many others within the BMW community. I owe this man a beer.. or 10.
    We all owe him a brewery at this point. Great guy!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Update: bought a new cable, same error. Agreed to fix a friend's laptop if he'd let me use it to flash my car.

Its an i5 running Win10- heres the kicker though, the BB app won't install.. getting the following (which from my understanding is pretty common)

" + Downloading http://desktop-i8karv6/BimmerBoostFl...sh.application did not succeed.
    + The remote name could not be resolved: 'desktop-i8karv6'
    "

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trevor actually came through on another post and suggested unpacking it with 7zip.. that was the ticket. BB app is now installed, I'm heading to flash (or try to flash) the car now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BB App now crashes when trying to ID ECU on the i5 system.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I guess I'll continue to $#@! post with yet another update lol.

The i5 System with the BimmerGeeks cable now recognizes the ECU and reads a full vin. The waterpump runs non stop with the battery plugged in now for some reason so I pulled the fuse for it. I have my brand new charger stacked with my truck also charging it..

When I try to force write it fails to authenticate with the Control module immediately.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    When I try to force write it fails to authenticate with the Control module immediately.
    I wish I had an idea but you've tried everything...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To sum up what happened with this whole deal, I did get the car running with the Help of Trevor.

We tried to BimmerGeeks calbe on the same laptop I started with using the BB app, no luck. Swapped to an i5 laptop with the BG cable, no luck. Nuked it with WinKFP using the i5 Laptop and BG cable, it was a "success" but the car wouldn't start for whatever reason. Tried to install the BEF from that point with the BB app and it failed, put the ECU back into recovery mode. We "re-nuked it", succeeded again but still wouldn't start.

I unplugged the battery, double checked everything I could think of, flashed again with WinKFP and finally the car started.

Thanks to everyone for y'alls help.. glad to have the car running again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hello, I have just tried to flash my 2010 135i with BMS back-end flash. I read the ECU first and everything was ok. I tried flashing and I have got the same error as you. My car was hooked up to a charger, but I forgot to put the JB4 in map 0. Car will not start now and I can't connect to the JB4. When I try to ID the ECU trough the BB app, it crashes. I disconnected the battery right now and will unhook the JB4 next. I have a BimmerGeeks cable too. How did you flash your ECU with WinKFP? Did you use the backup from BB app? Thanks in advance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was able to flash my car back to stock with WinKFP. First time it failed. I left the battery to charge all day, and left the charger on, when tried to flash it the second time. It was successful the first time.

Edit. WinKFP automatically chose the update for me. Is there a way to flash the .org file, that I have made with BB app?