Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

VTT N55 Garrett GTX3076R center section in custom cast SS turbine housing, 2 piece V-band manifold

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F87Source Click here to enlarge
    Sounds good! Can't wait to see what you guys have in store.
    As promised our N55 test unit it here. Few teaser pics. This is for a PWG turbo, but we will have EWG of course. We will be using a similar set for the N54's. This particular version is a genuine Garrett GTX3076R center section in custom cast SS turbine housing, 2 piece V-band manifold. This is similar to what we offered in the past with VERY BIG differences being. The biggest problem with every "Stock Frame" N55 upgrade on the market is just that. The "Stock Frame" housing. They are restrictive, designed for quick spool, and Torque production NOT making power. These new upgrades get rid of those restrictions on the turbine side, will allow for an easy 500WHP+ to be made on this size unit without overspeeding the unit. We are the hunt for an N55 PWG tester and will get this tested in short order.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice!

Can't wait to see the data/pricing!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any updates?

Also how's the EWG model going? These things come with a down pipe right? Because I assume the stock one won't fit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey Tony any updates?

Also I saw on your website you guys had this listed "VTT custom reverse wheels" for the turbo, what's the difference between the VTT reverse wheels and the reverse wheel Garrett offers for the gtx 3076r? And why not use the Garrett ones? But in essence the oem Garrett ball bearings and center cartridge is still utilized, while you guys made new housings for the turbo + new wheels? Hopefully it spools close to what an ear can do, that'd be amazing.

Anyways looking forward to updates on an ewg model, I'd love to have a set on my m2.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any updates?

Also how's the EWG model going? These things come with a down pipe right? Because I assume the stock one won't fit.
    Stock downpipe MUST and WILL fit. That's the whole point of casting the turbine section, as opposed to using the off the shelf Garrett Units (or EFR units), which would save the vendor a couple ten (or maybe a hundred) thousand USD in molding cost.

What Tony's trying to offer this time around is some greatest turbo idea that could ever happen to N55. Hope they do it good this time. I'm ready in no time burning whatever it's asking.

But had to mention, the evil is in the execution - like their N55 DBB turbo a couple years ago was a disappointment, compared to PS2, to say the least.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SeanWRT Click here to enlarge
    Stock downpipe MUST and WILL fit. That's the whole point of casting the turbine section, as opposed to using the off the shelf Garrett Units (or EFR units), which would save the vendor a couple ten (or maybe a hundred) thousand USD in molding cost.

What Tony's trying to offer this time around is some greatest turbo idea that could ever happen to N55. Hope they do it good this time. I'm ready in no time burning whatever it's asking.

But had to mention, the evil is in the execution - like their N55 DBB turbo a couple years ago was a disappointment, compared to PS2, to say the least.
    Yup I figured it out now.

I hope it's good for sure! It's definetly the most affordable stage 3 option we have for our platform, but maybe not the "greatest" turbo option, That imo is still reserved for the EFR lineup of turbos offered by speedtech with their titanium compressor wheel, incredible bearing core that EFR's offer to add up to an incredible spool speed. But we will have to wait and see.

I think VTT has gotten alot better, their new GC's are really good from what I kept hearing, plus the VTT hate imo is just repetitive old gen turbo owners. You barely hear new turbo failures anymore from them, plus every turbo company for these platforms have issues, most of them try their best to sweep it under the carpet.

My only questions, and I may have answered it myself, is why they used "VTT custom reverse wheels" instead of the reverse wheels Garrett offers. Could this be due to the cast housings being smaller and requiring different wheels? I would prefer all oem garett if possibly due to the excellent reputation of garett gtx turbos, so I'd prefer them as is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yup I figured it out now.

I hope it's good for sure! It's definetly the most affordable stage 3 option we have for our platform, but maybe not the "greatest" turbo option, That imo is still reserved for the EFR lineup of turbos offered by speedtech with their titanium compressor wheel, incredible bearing core that EFR's offer to add up to an incredible spool speed. But we will have to wait and see.

I think VTT has gotten alot better, their new GC's are really good from what I kept hearing, plus the VTT hate imo is just repetitive old gen turbo owners. You barely hear new turbo failures anymore from them, plus every turbo company for these platforms have issues, most of them try their best to sweep it under the carpet.

My only questions, and I may have answered it myself, is why they used "VTT custom reverse wheels" instead of the reverse wheels Garrett offers. Could this be due to the cast housings being smaller and requiring different wheels? I would prefer all OEM Garett if possible due to the excellent reputation of Garett GTX turbos, so I'd prefer them as is.
    I can answer this. Garrett will not sell the reverse rotation wheels by themselves currently, nor will they sell us RR CHRA's. I think a lot of people forget. We made this upgrade with stock turbine housings and genuine Garrett CHRA's with our own RR wheels back in 2013, it was the first N55 Stage 2 style on the market. the biggest issue with it, and still is with the others. The stock turbine housings and manifold were very restrictive. This unit gets rid of all of that. We currently have one on a DCT test car, the owner is figuring out a boost leak, and we should have some numbers very soon. These are ready to ship, we are simply waiting for results to remove them from Pre-order status.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I can answer this. Garrett will not sell the reverse rotation wheels by themselves currently, nor will they sell us RR CHRA's. I think a lot of people forget. We made this upgrade with stock turbine housings and genuine Garrett CHRA's with our own RR wheels back in 2013, it was the first N55 Stage 2 style on the market. the biggest issue with it, and still is with the others. The stock turbine housings and manifold were very restrictive. This unit gets rid of all of that. We currently have one on a DCT test car, the owner is figuring out a boost leak, and we should have some numbers very soon. These are ready to ship, we are simply waiting for results to remove them from Pre-order status.
    Ahh I see! Well I hope to see results soon, go vtt!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Tony@VargasTurboTech

Try answer this - since you're already casting manifold and turbine section, why don't you cast them in one piece like you and your competitors are doing with S55 GC turbo?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Probably because a 2 piece design allows for a modular turbofold meaning different turbos can be used to support over 600whp if desired.

Plus it will be really helpful when installing because you can bolt the exhaust manifold on separately allowing for more space to reach bolts and its lighter, smaller and this easier to manipulate within the tight constraints of the engine bay.

Pretty much all of the current major stage 3 turbo manufacturers also have a 2 piece design so it's a pretty smart move imo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The Stage 3 Turbo (as BMW aftermarket defined) is the off the shelf turbo that's supposed to fit many platforms, among which BMW is a very small one. Therefore they cannot incorporate manifold into it.

VTTO is creating this N55 specific turbo kit anyway. It doesn't make much sense for them to invest with different turbine section new castings (which is very expensive), just to offer multiple options for N55 (a fairly cheap platform). One piece casting makes much more sense, as it actually saves cost in term of per set produced, compared to making them separately.

The only reason for two pieces I can think of is the much more R&D required.

Tony@VargasTurboTech please explain.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The Stage 3 Turbo (as BMW aftermarket defined) is the off the shelf turbo that's supposed to fit many platforms, among which BMW is a very small one. Therefore they cannot incorporate manifold into it.

VTTO is creating this N55 specific turbo kit anyway. It doesn't make much sense for them to invest with different turbine section new castings (which is very expensive), just to offer multiple options for N55 (a fairly cheap platform). One piece casting makes much more sense, as it actually saves cost in term of per set produced, compared to making them separately.

IMO, they have the exhaust manifold separate because that means they already spent R&D on it and now if they ever need one they can have one for any future projects. Next explanation is that the current stage 3 exhaust manifold that they custom casted was specific to the downpipe etc, but the exhaust flange was casted so it could meet up with the exhaust manifold outlet, thus allowing the manifold to be two piece and the turbo to be removed. So essentially they did this (either make the exhaust manifold meet the exhaust side housing, or the exhaust side housing meet the exhaust manifold) so that they could have a two piece design thus allow the ease of install, quick turbo swaps, and a premade exhaust manifold for future setups thus tackling the issue now saving money later.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In for updates keep killing it VTT!
    F80 ZCP DCT Tune Only | BM3 Custom F80Paul E85 100-200 5.9s, 60-130mph 6.78s "Tune Only World Record"
    -HCP E60 60-130 7.3
    -HCP E40 60-130mph 7.6s
    -BM3 E30 OTS 60-130mph 7.85s

X4 M40i CTSTurbo D.P/FMIC
    BM3 STG2 93 4.19s 0-60 | 12.4@109mph 1/4 m *World Record*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RobNyc Click here to enlarge
    In for updates keep killing it VTT!
    +1
    They may have a stigma about them, but tbh you'll definitely have some issues if you keep on innovating and changing the game like they do (and for an affordable price that appeals to the masses).

If it turns out as good as I think it should, then I believe this will be where I head in terms of a future turbo upgrade.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Tony@VargasTurboTech

Try answer this - since you're already casting manifold and turbine section, why don't you cast them in one piece like you and your competitors are doing with S55 GC turbo?
    Because a two-piece design allows much more flexibility when you plan to offer multiple turbo sizes, across various models. One manifold to cast for PWG, EWG 3076, and 3582. Instead of 4 different manifold/housings combos. One manifold 4 housings. Much more cost effective.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

See above, This is exactly the opposite of why. Modular ALWAYS saves time and money. Any time you can share parts across platforms you win.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Does Vargas have an upgrade program like Pure Turbo, from stage 1 to stage 2 and so on???

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dspeed23 Click here to enlarge
    Does Vargas have an upgrade program like Pure Turbo, from stage 1 to stage 2 and so on???
    Yes they do, it's on their website under n55.

imo if you want big power goal >500whp its better to get a stage 3 turbo like this, and it's only ~$500 extra.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any updates?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any updates?
    Our tester has been out of town for work and is sorting some boost leak issues. We will report as soon as we have dyno's!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice!
    What about an ewg version?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Getting closer to posting the results. The tester is out of town a lot for work so its been much slower then we hoped. In the meantime, here is a look at the production line kits that come with the upgrade. No universal parts here...

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great work Tony!
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Getting closer to posting the results.
    Any update?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From our Tester:

Time for an update. I know its been a while, January ended up being super busy for me at work. I've been in CT for most of the time since the holidays. The kit fits great, installs like stock including the lines which obviously had to be changed to support the Garrett CHRA. Had some issues with the WG actuation which had me chasing my tail looking for a boost leak that wasn't there. Running 29psi to redline now and it feels great. Hope to get on the dyno within the next week or so. More info to come once I finish dialing in the tune and get dyno numbers. Sneak peak for now;

Click here to enlarge
    Chris - VTT Forum Representative
    Chris@Vargasturbo.com
    www.Vargasturbo.com
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast