Close

Thread: N62 Performance

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

N62 Performance

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place or I am using improper etiquette. I own a 2004 545i with a six speed manual and an LSD. I like everyone here I am looking for more power and was wondering what options are available. I have heard about all the common mods and I am considering them all but I had a few of my own that I was wondering if anyone could weigh in on.

My first idea is a 4.8i swap from the 550i with the DIVA manifold from my current engine. I understand they share nearly identical DMEs and mounts, so I was wondering how easy/hard it would be.

Second, I noticed from the diagram of the DIVA manifold that the shortest possible runner length is still very long, and from the dyno chart of my car I can see that the top end torque drops off when the intake rotating assembly reaches its limit. I was wondering if I could shorten the fins inside it to give me shorter runners for better top end.

Finally, I know that the engine in my car runs very hot and the intake air must travel a very far distance and reach quite a high temperature, so I was wondering if meth injection into the intake ports of the engine or into the intake manifold would give me any slight increase in power.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and once again if this is posted in the right place or I used improper etiquette please feel free to move or delete this post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by muramesa Click here to enlarge
    My first idea is a 4.8i swap from the 550i with the DIVA manifold from my current engine. I understand they share nearly identical DMEs and mounts, so I was wondering how easy/hard it would be.
    Not worth the trouble or cost IMO.

Finally, I know that the engine in my car runs very hot and the intake air must travel a very far distance and reach quite a high temperature, so I was wondering if meth injection into the intake ports of the engine or into the intake manifold would give me any slight increase in power.
    A minor increase and as you are naturally aspirated not really big gains. Still, won't hurt.

If you want power, forced induction or a new platform is necessary. The N62 is not known for impressive performance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thank you for your quick response! Do you know if it is possible to mount the Alpina b7 supercharger to the N62b44 engine? Or is the discontinued ESS kit my only option haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you know if it is possible to mount the Alpina b7 supercharger to the N62b44 engine?
    I'm sure in theory it could be done.

Or is the discontinued ESS kit my only option haha
    I wouldn't recommend ESS.

You can read through our N62 threads but you have a few ECU tune options and G-Power has a supercharger kit.

Honestly, you don't have many options. I'd put the kit money toward a new car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You cannot mount the alpina SC on an N62B44, the alpina block is modified & reinforced for their SC. Good luck coding it afterwards. The 4.8 swap in theory, is an affordable & much more practical idea. 4.8s are priced similarly to some fancy exhausts these days. Should be as easy as swapping the motor, & dme in. Transmission & all modules are identical. Additionally some people are saying ESS is developing a new SC. Personally I would swap in the 4.8 if I even planned on installing a SC, as the base components are stronger; crank, heads, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    A friend of mine just did this swap. Just get the DME, CAS and key with the engine. Very straightforward and easy. The easier solution would just change the motor and tune your 4.4 DME. The injectors are even the same so a canned tune for the 4.8 would even work you don't need to do custom tuning.