Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2388 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Answer what's better GIAC or Cobb tuning on 991.2

You should know better @flsupraguy than to ask this where people don't know what they're talking about.

You want the truth? Well, GIAC isn't really even tuning the car. The reason their 'tune' came out so early is because they were re-scaling certain files to trick the ECU into running more boost. It's not a real tune.

Cobb actually is tuning the car. That is why they can do multiple things for multiple setups and GIAC won't even call you back if you ask them for race gas or upgraded turbo tuning.

Next time don't waste your time where old men argue about exhaust noise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2388 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A lot of people won't say what GIAC is really doing but I will. Pretty much every real tuner knows. You can ask @magnumpsi for further inside info if he wants to share it Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    GIAC and Fabspeed also hide all their data figures (AFR, PSI etc.) and call it "intellectual property". Shady practice if you ask me.

On Rennlist you get a bunch of personal opinions and emotional answers. I honestly felt myself getting dumber actively reading and posting over there. It was turning me into a snarky poster. Glad they gave me the perma-ban I requested.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2388 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LavaGTS Click here to enlarge
    Fabspeed also hide all their data figures (AFR, PSI etc.) and call it "intellectual property"
    Fabspeed doesn't hide it. Their tuner can give you that info.

GIAC isn't even really tuning. They're tricking the system.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Fabspeed doesn't hide it. Their tuner can give you that info.

GIAC isn't even really tuning. They're tricking the system.
    In a thread on Rennlist Fabspeed was refusing to give out numbers on a tune they had "for sale". They kept calling it the tuners intellectual property.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2388 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In a thread on Rennlist Fabspeed was refusing to give out numbers on a tune they had "for sale". They kept calling it the tuners intellectual property.
    It is in essence. I mean best to go direct to the tuner but that tuner is VERY good.

Fabspeed just posted the dyno sheet. If necessary I could get you the runfile but either way a custom tune from a good tuner is going to be better than anything OTS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes of course!

I'd like to see a stage 2 and beyond from Cobb along with PDK mapping upgrades and possibly an anti-lag setupClick here to enlarge

I'm already getting bored of my stage 1 93 tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2388 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm already getting bored of my stage 1 93 tune.
    Heh, I feel you. I can't wait to crank these damn turbos up. It's killing me!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm happy with the Hydra Motor Works ots tune...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Honestly here is the problem: No one is datalogging besides us. We do custom code to be able to datalog and we datalog a lot of parameters that you need to log. In the 718 and 991.2 there is an adaptive timing value that if not checked on can cause cars a lot of problems. The other problems is it happens over time, not just instantly. I have a big write up about it but without datalogging this platform you run the risk of not really knowing what the motor is doing. Even with a PIWIS you could not gather the same data that we do or even close to the speed.

I hope that helps some. I will post the ECU strategy change I am talking about here soon.

Cheers,

-Mitch McKee
    ECU Engineer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks Mitch. Btw, any e85 tunes in the works? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by COBB Tuning Click here to enlarge
    Honestly here is the problem: No one is datalogging besides us. We do custom code to be able to datalog and we datalog a lot of parameters that you need to log. In the 718 and 991.2 there is an adaptive timing value that if not checked on can cause cars a lot of problems. The other problems is it happens over time, not just instantly. I have a big write up about it but without datalogging this platform you run the risk of not really knowing what the motor is doing. Even with a PIWIS you could not gather the same data that we do or even close to the speed.

I hope that helps some. I will post the ECU strategy change I am talking about here soon.

Cheers,

-Mitch McKee
    ECU Engineer
    I posted 3 data logs in post 18 in this thread. Can you assess them or use them for your R&D?

https://www.porscheboost.com/showthr...and-Accessport

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    E85 tuning is actually something we have done and tested. It is something that once we get OTS maps out and ATP out we explore more. But it is nice these cars can support full E85 and it could be something we put out as an OTS if we feel like it is safe.

-Mitch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by COBB Tuning Click here to enlarge
    E85 tuning is actually something we have done and tested. It is something that once we get OTS maps out and ATP out we explore more. But it is nice these cars can support full E85 and it could be something we put out as an OTS if we feel like it is safe.

-Mitch
    Nice. I know many here cant wait Click here to enlarge