Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

After 6+ months of searching...

finally found one to take home. More to come.

Click here to enlarge

Yes, my garage needs some cleanup as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Settled on a second gen eh? Need more pics!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    Settled on a second gen eh? Need more pics!
    Mk3 was never in the cards. It's an occasional driver so I want to row my own gears and it's half the cost of the mk3 at this point. I'll use the rest of this summer to sort the chasis and suspension out and it will probably head to iroz at the end of winter if I'm still in love with it.

Pictures to come after I have a chance to detail.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    If anyone is wondering what 9,416 ft DA looks like...

UMS tune and secondary cat delete are the only power mods (AWE Switch Path) and I had a blend of ~11 gallons 100 octane, 2.5 gallons 91 octane, and 2.5 gallons E85 in the tank. Started the day at 21lbs and 98 octane and worked my way up to 102 octane and 24lbs (best time). Surprisingly, the times stayed more or less the same, regardless of setting so I'm pretty confident saying this turbo has simply tapped out at this level. The car would do nicely with a 12.8 dial-in if I ever wanted to bracket race, though.

Launch control was set for 5,000 RPMs for the majority of the runs (clutch slipped through most of 1st) and bogged in the last run when I dropped it to 4,000 RPMS. I think a clutch upgrade is in order if the 60' is going to come down.

Anyhow, I wasn't expecting anything phenomenal at nearly 6,000 ft elevation and a 90+ degree day, but was hoping to at least see a mid 12 with traps in the teens. From what I've read and other cars I watched run, I'd guess I was 6-7mph down on runs in favorable conditions... I'll head back in a few weeks when it cools down.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Nice. My Mitsubishi Galant used to run about exactly the same times at Bandimere in the same conditions. It's so cool so see these near stock cars doing what it took me so much experimentation and parts changing to do. Thanks for the data point, I had wondered what times a new RS3 would get there. At least this gives me a ballpark idea.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Carl Morris Click here to enlarge
    Nice. My Mitsubishi Galant used to run about exactly the same times at Bandimere in the same conditions. It's so cool so see these near stock cars doing what it took me so much experimentation and parts changing to do. Thanks for the data point, I had wondered what times a new RS3 would get there. At least this gives me a ballpark idea.
    Someone actually followed up to my FB post with a near stock RS3 (secondary cat delete) and the following time slip. This was run in slightly better conditions than my time @ ~8,600 DA. I'd have to think my car would be damn near the same with a DSG.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2398 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
    If anyone is wondering what 9,416 ft DA looks like...
    You'll never hear my complain about my local track again.

Well, maybe a little, but even breaking into the 11's there would be an accomplishment.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You'll never hear my complain about my local track again.

Well, maybe a little, but even breaking into the 11's there would be an accomplishment.
    There was a gorgeous 991 turbo running low low 10s at 135+ in the peak of the heat, so it can be done. I'd imagine you just need to go a spec or two larger on the turbos to make up for the thin air.

I also feel a bit better about my time after seeing that rs3 slip. That should be a 116mph car at sea level and I was able to pick up 25mph on the back half vs his 21 so my car is running well once shifting is out of the equation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, a big turbo is key to solving problems at high elevation. Except that everything is laggy anyway up there so a big turbo is REALLY laggy. You have to put a lot of effort into anti lag strategies and how to come off the line at full boost without losing traction. But if you get it worked out you are basically untouchable on the street because everybody else bogs or burns or is too slow to matter. But watch out for V8s with slicks and nitrous :-).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Swap with a V8. End discussion. ;-)

Congrats btw!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    Swap with a V8. End discussion. ;-)

Congrats btw!!!
    Thank you! The na v8s were down in the sub 105 range so I think I'll stick to the big turbo plan.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Was messing w ya. Need more pics!!!