Close

Thread: Upgrading axles

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Upgrading axles

Hi,
    on the N54, are there any things you can do to upgrade axles yourself? i.e. Make them stronger.
    I know there are various aftermarket axels that can be bought but I'm not aware of any offered here in England so I wondered if there's anything that can be done with stock axles, or do any larger axles also fit the N54? Like something found in some of the M cars. I'm not aware of any.

Thanks
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.
    11.74@129 on GCs.
    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, custom bucketless stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Something to make the actual OEM axles stronger? Can't think if what that would be. Cryo-treating, etc. is all I could think, but quite possible it's already been done by BMW, or would offer negligible strength increase.
    Or do you mean swapping in axles from another BMW model/ M car? Doubt there's any that will fit, I think the M cars are usually different length and spline-cnt, IIRC. i.e. don't think M3 axles will work without the M3 diff.
    2009 535i Sport
    Software: JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
    Hardware: GC Lites | Inlets | Outlet | 3" D-P's | 7" FMIC | S2 LPFP | TBI | DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 3.5 TMAP | RB PCV | Koni FSD

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    im sure they can be shipped to england. Nothing can be done to the stock axles that makes financial sense.

http://www.teammfactory.com/catalog/...y/racing-axles
    I believe dss makes axles as well

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, I would totally just buy some upgraded ones from DSS or the like, if I was breaking axles.

Seems like you could get them over there but, being in England, your government will make you pay through the nose on shipping/taxes IIRC. Click here to enlarge
    2009 535i Sport
    Hardware: GC Lites | Inlets | Outlet | 3" D-P's | 7" FMIC | S2 LPFP | TBI | DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 3.5 TMAP | RB PCV | Koni FSD

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It’s only about 100 for import tax on the Mfactory axles iirc from when I bought mine.

It’s a real shame there not available through Mfactoy Europe!
    UK
    V8Bait tuned
    Built motor, TD turbo, FBO 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E92 420 Click here to enlarge
    It’s only about 100 for import tax on the Mfactory axles iirc from when I bought mine.

It’s a real shame there not available through Mfactoy Europe!
    Thanks. That's not bad at all.

Yeah it'd be nice to see them on a European site.
    11.74@129 on GCs.
    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, custom bucketless stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You can use m3 axles if you can get an m3 diff. You’ll need a custom driveshaft though

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is most peoples solution for high HP drag strip launches especially with street tires at a certain point the stock diffs input shaft will break

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Optigrab Click here to enlarge
    That is most peoples solution for high HP drag strip launches especially with street tires at a certain point the stock diffs input shaft will break
    Are you saying the axles break sooner with street tires vs DRs/slicks, i.e. due to wheelhop?
    2009 535i Sport

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LessIsMore Click here to enlarge
    Are you saying the axles break sooner with street tires vs DRs/slicks, i.e. due to wheelhop?
    just saying there is more stress on the system with street tires and hard launches vs smaller sized DR where the sidewall of the tire will flex. After the axles the next weak point in the system is stock diffs input shaft especially if we are talking about drag racing and launching hard from a stop.

What you need to worry about upgrading depends on what you want to do with the car and your power levels

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Aus335iGuy Click here to enlarge
    You can use m3 axles if you can get an m3 diff. You’ll need a custom driveshaft though
    Yeah I don't want an m3 diff. I'm dct. Drive ratios are way different.
    11.74@129 on GCs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Im DCT as well, they have a habit of breaking pinions. Either way your going to want an LSD. There are some old BMWs that have 210mm pinion in an acceptable 2.81 ratio for DCTs that’ll bolt in to an M3 diff BTW.
    Also F30 diffs will fit in an e9x with a diff cover changeover. F80 diffs will also fit but the adjustable LSD is an issue, it needs a controller that can interface with the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's usually the RACE that breaks in these axles not the axle bar itself. That's what DSS and Mfactory change on them.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah but then you still need bigger axles etc .
    The e34 540i diff is 2.81 and 210mm in size so will fit in an e9x m3 diff and is tolerated by the DCT TCU.
    F30 M performance diffs have LSD and can be purchased brand new from a dealer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2398 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No reason M Factory can't deliver them to the UK.