Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Single Turbo Coolant Setup

Hey Guys,

Just getting ready to install my Doc Race hot parts with my GTX3584RS. I got all the parts required to set up the coolant feed and return lines for the turbo but I just want to confirm a few things. The connection off of the aluminum coolant pipe will be the feed and the connection off of the block will be the return line for coolant? I got the RB -6AN coolant connections and -4 single oil feed connector as well as the female -6AN connectors to create coolant lines with braided stainless steel -6 line. Going to block off 2 of the coolant connectors with -6AN caps. I have the doc race aluminum coolant pipe to clear the manifold. I'm having a male -6AN bung welded onto the aluminum pipe so I can connect what is the coolant feed, correct? I'd just like to be sure so I can clock the CHRA so the coolant return is higher than the coolant feed. Also if anyone has any photos of a single turbo with coolant setup that would be great.

Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Were you able to talk to @DOCRace about this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No I didn't, I know they deal only with precision which doesn't need to worry about coolant lines. They seem super busy with the sale of kits at this time so I didn't want to bug them too much.. I know there are a few guys that have had custom single setups that used a Garrett with coolant setups but I couldn't find any in depth info regarding the coolant lines. Not sure if Doc Race would've offered a coolant pipe with a bung but its not a big deal. I have a local fabricator who can weld it on without issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Here you go

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Having a hard time following what you are trying to do without seeing the setup. But here are few tips that hopefully will help.

- Coolant feed should be from the big aluminum coolant pipe. So it looks like you got that right. My shop didn't and I had to show them the BMW technical training pdf to convince them they got it backward...

- Make sure the coolant drain sits higher than the feed. This is particularly important for a top mount, since you need to get the thermal siphoning to work during a hot shutdown. You can clock the CHRAs at a slight angle to get one coolant port to sit higher than the other one.
    09 BMW E92 335i:Top Mount EFR 7670 / Motiv / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline [Full Modlist]
    07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cloud9blue Click here to enlarge
    Having a hard time following what you are trying to do without seeing the setup. But here are few tips that hopefully will help.

- Coolant feed should be from the big aluminum coolant pipe. So it looks like you got that right. My shop didn't and I had to show them the BMW technical training pdf to convince them they got it backward...

- Make sure the coolant drain sits higher than the feed. This is particularly important for a top mount, since you need to get the thermal siphoning to work during a hot shutdown. You can clock the CHRAs at a slight angle to get one coolant port to sit higher than the other one.
    Thank you, the exact info i needed so I can orient the turbo coolant drain higher than the feed.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cd919 Click here to enlarge
    Here you go

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Awesome, thanks for the photos. Looks great.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Steve30 Click here to enlarge
    Thank you, the exact info i needed so I can orient the turbo coolant drain higher than the feed.

Awesome, thanks for the photos. Looks great.
    Good luck! Always nice to see someone takes the extra effort to mount a proper turbo instead of those run of the mill pte stuff.
    09 BMW E92 335i:Top Mount EFR 7670 / Motiv / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline [Full Modlist]
    07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Subscribed! Keep us updated on everything. I’m planning on ordering the ViEngineering GTW3884R top mount kit shortly. Looks like great quality stuff from them and love seeing a company using the Garrett water cooled turbos for added reliability & longevity.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You will have to weld a bung on the coolant pipe and use a fitting going on the factory port off the block. The front port is usually the one you want to go with. I have used -4an but most will tell you to go -6an.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why use the foam filter or is that for size/clearance issues?
    N54 ACF 6466 Meth MOTIV / E70 #1 JBD / E70 #2 JBD

Got Boost?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I ended up having a local shop weld the -6AN. For the turbo I used 2 adapter fittings along with 2 -6AN 45 degree fittings. On the block I used the RB adapter fittings along with 2 90 degree -6AN fittings. I'll have a photo of the complete setup once I finish putting the new cylinder head on.

These are the fittings/adapters I used:
    https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...7bcdd87417b306

Click here to enlarge