Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

my experience with a vf620 m3 on e85

So here it is, i posted this on the other M forum but figured there are more boosted M cars here plus ill get better feedback I am hoping. (Still a noob to the boosted S65 world)

I have a 2008 BMW M3 coupe. 6 speed, 85k miles. (original clutch still ). At 65k had BE BEARINGS done with ARP bolts (pic 1). At roughly 70k i had gotten a Gintani E85 tune (burble) along with Advanced Fuel Dynamics PROFLEX Commander installed (pic 2 of the install). Ran Great. Also threw on test pipes, under drive pulley but for some reason decided to keep it with the stock 2008 OEM intake and filter (legit too lazy to buy a new filter) and she threw down 384 on a dynojet. (pic 3 of baseline and fbo on e85)

at 78k miles i decided i wanted more power so i went and bought a vf620 supercharger kit and got a BPM tune (pic 4). installed it, ran great... but i had forgotten to swap out spark plugs so within 3 days it started to blow spark out and dip down on power(pic 5 and 6). I waited roughly 2/3 months before finally getting new plugs (went with NGK Laser Iridium 95770 at a .22 gap pic 7). Was recommended to me by the shop i go to and works great (except on really cold days it struggles to start when filled with E85 but that was anticipated)

Now she has new plugs (at 85k) and currently running great (so i think). Got it dynoed yeserday at a local dynojet (will be going back to my normal dynojet ive used in a week or so) and she put down some good numbers. Their AFR reader was reading all wack, might be my car, might be their reader, i dont know for sure(pic 8 showing ARF up to 18Click here to enlarge). So my way to illuminate the confusion will be to go to my old dyno and retry there since i know they have been consistent so far. I did dyno my car at my normal dynojet spot when i supercharged it to try and pinpoint where my power loss was coming from(pic 5 again). It was dynoed on E85 and had no boost leak (ran 7.25 psi) and good AFR (12.05 at WOT till redline). I was under the impression that even with blown out spark plugs it was still getting the needed amount of fuel so that is why even with yesterdays dyno AFR i wasnt too worried. (Correct me if im wrong here)

Yesterday i got a little impatient so i went to a different dynojet than i normally go to. He was a great dude, building some powerful machines there. Just seemed my car's AFR weren't reading correct and when it did read good i thought it had an odd outcome. I have secondary cats still which might be clogged causing the weird readings coming out yesterday. (pics 8-10)

will post more as i do more.

i drive it everyday. Spirited runs every weekend. Never skips a beat. Im sure there are thing i should monitor more closely (being AFR) but it hasnt had any issues so I will let her be for now...

I will be throwing on the vf650 Pulley and im assuming i will need a new belt and tune? (any info would help).

As of yesterdays dyno on E85 she put down:
    STD smoothing 5 - 584whp and 420tq
    STD smoothing 0 - 617whp and 434tq
    SAE smoothing 5 - 570whp and 410tq (dont have the sheet for it)

When i go with the 650 pulley i am hoping for over 650+whp and 450+wtq on e85 (STD)

The reason i kept the dyno sheets in STD rather than SAE was because Advance Fuel Dynamics did their dynocharts on the vf650 kit in STD so i figured it would be better to compare them that way.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice write up! I just got another M3 and put a Lvl 2 AA kit on it along with bearings/bolts. My plan is to run the stage 3 pulley (I think it’s a 9 psi pulley) and run E85 as well. I don’t think I’m going with the AFD kit, as I will run E85 all the time. Did you get a E85 tune from BPM? I’m trying to find some info on upgrades to the fuel system now. Your running 100% E85 on the stock system? If so it shouldn’t take much to upgrade it to be on the safe side. I’m looking for 650ish wheel as well.
    2017 Porsche 911
    2017 Evoque
    2012 E92 M3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Surquhar Click here to enlarge
    Nice write up! I just got another M3 and put a Lvl 2 AA kit on it along with bearings/bolts. My plan is to run the stage 3 pulley (I think it’s a 9 psi pulley) and run E85 as well. I don’t think I’m going with the AFD kit, as I will run E85 all the time. Did you get a E85 tune from BPM? I’m trying to find some info on upgrades to the fuel system now. Your running 100% E85 on the stock system? If so it shouldn’t take much to upgrade it to be on the safe side. I’m looking for 650ish wheel as well.

With my setup its a true flex fuel set up. Im running a 93 BPM tune but since i have the AFD PROFLEX commander i can put in E85. But if no e85 is available i can run 93. The difference in fuels is very noticable almost instantly. As far as fuel system goes i have the green VF injectors on stock fuel pump. Appearantly they are the big injectors. So no issue as far as that goes.

In the next couple weeks i will be experimenting with a 10psi pulley and see how that goes...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by johneastvold Click here to enlarge
    With my setup its a true flex fuel set up. Im running a 93 BPM tune but since i have the AFD PROFLEX commander i can put in E85. But if no e85 is available i can run 93. The difference in fuels is very noticable almost instantly. As far as fuel system goes i have the green VF injectors on stock fuel pump. Appearantly they are the big injectors. So no issue as far as that goes.

In the next couple weeks i will be experimenting with a 10psi pulley and see how that goes...
    Ok makes sense. It will be interesting to see what it does at 10psi! I’m going to upgrade my fuel system (when I figure how to do it) and then get a custom E85 tune for it. Although for 1200 bucks the AFD kit look like nice insurance just in case. It seems like the way to do it with the AFD kit is to tune with 100% E85 and let it dial it back for 93.
    2017 Porsche 911
    2017 Evoque
    2012 E92 M3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok makes sense. It will be interesting to see what it does at 10psi! I’m going to upgrade my fuel system (when I figure how to do it) and then get a custom E85 tune for it. Although for 1200 bucks the AFD kit look like nice insurance just in case. It seems like the way to do it with the AFD kit is to tune with 100% E85 and let it dial it back for 93.
    i would love to upgrade my fuel system but seem like no one really has a solution for it... so im stuck rolling the dice just cranking up boost and hoping for the best haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i would love to upgrade my fuel system but seem like no one really has a solution for it... so im stuck rolling the dice just cranking up boost and hoping for the best haha
    There are a few people have done it, upgraded E85 fuel pumps, lines, etc. it looks like both our injectors will work. I have a couple PM’s out there, I will let you know what I find out. Let us know how your car does with that 10psi pulley!
    2017 Porsche 911
    2017 Evoque
    2012 E92 M3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There are a few people have done it, upgraded E85 fuel pumps, lines, etc. it looks like both our injectors will work. I have a couple PM’s out there, I will let you know what I find out. Let us know how your car does with that 10psi pulley!
    Will do!! Ive heard of another m3 on 10/11psi and it crested 700whp... so im hoping my block holds!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any info on the e85 setups? I'd love to tune my ess 650 for full e85. I thought going past the 650 kit with 93 required upgraded fuel system as volume drops. ??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2367 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Gintani has an upgraded fuel system. That's what I'm running with E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2367 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SPR12 Click here to enlarge
    Any info on the e85 setups? I'd love to tune my ess 650 for full e85. I thought going past the 650 kit with 93 required upgraded fuel system as volume drops. ??
    What kind of info are you looking for? @Sales@Gintani.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm interested in what all is required to go full e85 with the ess vt2-650 kit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2367 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm interested in what all is required to go full e85 with the ess vt2-650 kit.
    Ok I just got off the phone and have some details. Not cheap but it is impressive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah just the syvecs tuning alone is huge so I'm sure full e85 with custom tune is massive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you know where I can find the pinouts to the ecu for cyl 2 and 3 to make a jumper harness for my s65? The guys who sold me the motor advised to swap harnesses to see if that's the issue. I like the idea of making a jumper harness before I do that much work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

Just thought id share, this is the Vf pulley i will be testing out on my car... got it off someone in california who got it from a buddy that VF Engineering did a one off custom build. The guy thought he was buying an 8psi vf650 pulley but turned out it was a 10/11 psi pulley. When i get it and put it on ill post up some numbers. He had a P3 gauge in his car so he sent me a video doing a WOT pull and his AFR stayed in mid to low 12’s. He too had the AFD PROFLEX commander.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Deets on the e85 commander Setup? Will this work with my ess 650 kit? I'm running I think 9ish lbs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Deets on the e85 commander Setup? Will this work with my ess 650 kit? I'm running I think 9ish lbs.
    Did you check out my ethanol article today?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2367 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Will do!! Ive heard of another m3 on 10/11psi and it crested 700whp... so im hoping my block holds!
    Was the graph posted?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Was the graph posted?

Nada, just took his word for it. Although yesterday gintani just posted another stock block m3 on e85 over 700whp

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No where?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I got the new pulley on the car. Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

went with a dayco 5060835 belt, an inch smaller than the 620 belt i had on. did some pulls and was very strong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiVf...ature=youtu.be

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

this is the dyno on full e85 at 10psi. It runs out of fueling at 7700rpm. Im probably missing out on about 30-50hp up top. I will experiement with 50:50 blend or just go back to 93. I might make 600/400 on 93 but not run out of fuel. E85 really picks up tq on this block. Still stock clutch too... but i feel like itll be on its way out here soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    FYI, changing plugs removes the knock sensing, e.g. timing pulling. Great way to F your motor as it is not properly tuned for your setup. The plugs work as a sensor, that's why all kits say to expressly not use other plugs. Just saying.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Currently waiting on TTFS to finalize their inhouse 10psi e85 tune... they are running ID1000 injectors to achieve this. when they get back to me they said they should be able to remote tune me as long as i get the right injectors. will update when i get more info on it.