Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Help me do my own turbo upgrade

I'm picking up an e92 rwd mt soon that needs turbos and keeping my e90 awd mt as more of a commuter/winter car.

I'm looking to do a mild turbo upgrade myself, and need help choosing and finding an appropriate compressor and turbine wheel combo.

Just looking for a significant bump over oem or stage 1 offerings, and make as much power possible without going to port injection. May consider meth.

I already have some wastegate parts i made, and should have no problem boring out the housings to accomadate larger wheels.

I'm kinda thinking copying the hexon rr550's, but cannot find the exact spec they used.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Reserved

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2339 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just curious why you don't go with an off the shelf solution?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Just curious why you don't go with an off the shelf solution?
    1. To have something a little different than everyone else.

2. I just like doing things myself.

3. To hopefully save some money doing it.

I have 2 sets of cores to work from. I MIGHT just grab an upgraded chra already balanced and ready to go and do the compressor wheel and manifold machining myself.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2339 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fredcase Click here to enlarge
    1. To have something a little different than everyone else.

2. I just like doing things myself.

3. To hopefully save some money doing it.
    Works for me.

Good luck and let us know how the process goes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I also have some stage 1 chra's from turbolab of america. They did a hack job clipping the turbine and painted all the seal surfaces, so i decided not to use them in my dailey. If my above plan doesn't work out i might stick some 9 blade turbines in there, have em balanced and run that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2339 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I also have some chra's from turbolab of america. They did a hack job clipping the turbine
    That's pretty much all Turbo Lab of America is known for.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Im thinking

MAMBA Turbo Billet Compressor Wheel Mitsubishi TD04H 15T (41.93mm / 55.69mm) 11+0

And

TD04L 41.2X47.2mm 11 blades turbine wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bump, I'm grabbing that car next month and want to move forward with this. I am going to talk to my local turbo shop about them machining the compressor housings.

Does anyone know if the combo in the post above is a good idea or bad idea?

This forum used to have all the technical goodies.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bump, I'm grabbing that car next month and want to move forward with this. I am going to talk to my local turbo shop about them machining the compressor housings.

Does anyone know if the combo in the post above is a good idea or bad idea?

This forum used to have all the technical goodies.
    It's hard to say because has anyone tried the combo?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes I think the 11 blade was the initial offerings IIRC but after looking at HP goals, the 9 blade turbine wheels were used to extend the range. It seems like you want more of a stage 1. Then I would think 11 blade would spool up fast, have limited HP goals within range of fuel limit, and be closer matched. As compared to when 20T wheels were being used with small turbine wheels. I believe the 15T has been a good match to the TD04H /TD04L .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the replies.

I believe this combo is similar to something both rb, and vtt offer. Just looking for some verification. Open to other combos also. Looking for more of a stage 1.5 i guess. Kinda like the early hexon offerings.

In the end im looking quick spool and to push a few more psi than stockers, mid range and closer to redline.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We offer a DIY RB Ones kit for $999 (TD03L-9 blade turbine, 14T Billet 6x6 compressor/bullet nut). This is the compressor kit which consists of a machined Compressor housing and CHRA, Thrust upgraded, and VSR balanced to .1g levels to 210,000rpm. You'd then need to clean up your turbo folds and then plug these in, and address your own wastegates. Sold many of these things (in complete and DIY forms) over the past year now and they've been a great product: Over 30 sets out there and literally not one complaint aside one set returned due to install/customer issue. We do consider these more inline with a Stage 1.5 due to the high flow 9 blade turbine, unlike most Stage 1's which offer an OEM clipped turbine.

More information here:
    http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45348

Some dynos here:
    http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49272

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    We offer a DIY RB Ones kit for $999 (TD03L-9 blade turbine, 14T Billet 6x6 compressor/bullet nut). This is the compressor kit which consists of a machined Compressor housing and CHRA, Thrust upgraded, and VSR balanced to .1g levels to 210,000rpm. You'd then need to clean up your turbo folds and then plug these in, and address your own wastegates. Sold many of these things (in complete and DIY forms) over the past year now and they've been a great product: Over 30 sets out there and literally not one complaint aside one set returned due to install/customer issue. We do consider these more inline with a Stage 1.5 due to the high flow 9 blade turbine, unlike most Stage 1's which offer an OEM clipped turbine.

More information here:
    http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45348

Some dynos here:
    http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49272

Rob
    Thanks Rob, i was considering soething like that, but being a machinist i would really like to open up the turbine housing to accomadate a larger turbine wheel. Something closer to your rb two's

I already have wastegate parts i made from scratch. They are on my daily with about 70k km, no rattle yet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks Rob, i was considering soething like that, but being a machinist i would really like to open up the turbine housing to accomadate a larger turbine wheel. Something closer to your rb two's

I already have wastegate parts i made from scratch. They are on my daily with about 70k km, no rattle yet.
    Understandable. Best of luck sir!

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    Understandable. Best of luck sir!

Rob
    Expect an email from me in the near future.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Expect an email from me in the near future.
    fredcase,

Not much we will be able to do for you, well, at least not without putting more time than it would take to build the turbos ourselves into it. With this level of customization in turbo components and due to custom parts there are MOQ's required etc. This stuff takes months upon months in turn around times and thousands upon thousands to invest in advance as well. Add in about $100k for some high quality balancing equipment and tooling for each setup and more so knowing how to use it too, it get's even more complicated. In short being a skilled machinist is about 5-10% of the equation for what you are wanting to do here, and this type of effort/expense is not conducive to a one-off job whatsoever.

Rob