Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

well what do we have here?

Snow day at BPC today, so I took advantage of it and got my Valve Lift Mod done finally (thanks Marty!). Didn't take too terribly long, the hardest part was getting the Supports in there just right. We started the process using Marty's Washer shim technique but then remembered we have the factory BMW Spring tool so we just used that. Dyno and Tuning tomorrow, hopefully for some 93 oct. power records Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Home of the fastest BMW's on the East coast!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Curious.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As am I. Hoping for 25-30 whp. we shall see tomorrow!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dyno results with 93 Oct and Downpipes only. No other mods. Stock turbos. Peak HP only gained about 5, however, it carried over 35 whp more all the way to redline which is good in my book. She feels wonderful. Ordered some quality E85 to test some E50 Mixes in the next few days so stay tuned.

The red line is our current Stage 2 93 Oct. tune we have. Blue is the Lifter mod. Again, only mods are Downpipes (catless).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you have a link to more information on this mod? I’m very curious Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BPCMotorsports Click here to enlarge
    Dyno results with 93 Oct and Downpipes only. No other mods. Stock turbos. Peak HP only gained about 5, however, it carried over 35 whp more all the way to redline which is good in my book. She feels wonderful. Ordered some quality E85 to test some E50 Mixes in the next few days so stay tuned.

The red line is our current Stage 2 93 Oct. tune we have. Blue is the Lifter mod. Again, only mods are Downpipes (catless).
    A stock turbo S55 making over 500rwhp is impressive, especially on 93 pump gas and only downpipes. No methanol, no PI or TBI or bigger turbos. Very impressive.

Sounds almost maxed out on the stock turbos but glad that the MILVs extended the power further out into the upper rpm's.

'She feels wonderful'= BPC tuned S55
    MILVs- +1mm Increase Intake Valve Lift for N52, N55, S55, N20 Engines
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ift-more-power

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's a big improvement, area under the graph is what counts the most.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's an impressive gain at such a high RPM! It helps mitigate the big dropoff normally seen at that RPM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice results although expected more in midrange are the turbos maxed out in midrange is the reason why we don't see gains there?
    How long did it take from start to finish installation?

Going to install mine soon probably!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks awesome guys. Bob change the valvetronic calibration or just plug and play?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice to see this!

Were the w/ and w/o MILVs curves on exaclty the same tune? No need for calibration for MILVs? Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Was anything changed in the tune to optimize for the milvs for that dyno comparison?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    weehe, Yes Tuning must be done when this mod is performed. We actually lost power after the mod was done, and before Tuning it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    weehe, Yes Tuning must be done when this mod is performed. We actually lost power after the mod was done, and before Tuning it.
    I'm assuming the valve lift table, fuel scaler and possibly intake VANOS due to the increased duration? Just trying to get an idea for when I install them on my N55.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If this mod picks up 35 WHP on the stock turbos which don't flow well in the upper RPM, I wonder what the before & after would look like with upgraded turbos!

Does this mod consist of aftermarket components? Or modified factory components?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Only mods are catless downpipes and BMC Drop in filters, that is it besides a tune and the lifter mod.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is there more info somewhere on what exactly this mod is doing? Are the parts for sale?

Results are very nice.
    2009 535i Sport
    Software: JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
    Hardware: GC Lites | Inlets | Outlet | 3" D-P's | 7" FMIC | S2 LPFP | TBI | DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 3.5 TMAP | RB PCV | Koni FSD

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Only mods are catless downpipes and BMC Drop in filters, that is it besides a tune and the lifter mod.
    Sorry, I was referring to the actual valve lift mod. I was wondering if you were modifying OEM parts, or if these were custom manufactured parts. Looking at the pictures again, I'm guessing they are modified OEM pieces.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    https://www.bimmerboost.com/showthre...ift-more-power

Modified stock parts. PM Cobramarty who posted above for more info.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Such a depressing power curve for a sportscar, but very cool to to see the MILVs doing their job Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by harkes Click here to enlarge
    Such a depressing power curve for a sportscar, but very cool to to see the MILVs doing their job Click here to enlarge
    Tell me about it Click here to enlarge. But they are definitely doing their job.

Eleventeen: sorry, yes the Supports are modified factory parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2384 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Adding intake valve lift with MILV Valvetronic mod to the F80/F82 M3 & M4 S55 motor results in 41 more whp at 7k rpm

Adding intake valve lift to the N55 and S55 motors by physically modifying the Valvetronic system is a modification proposed by BimmerBoost membe @CobraMarty. He speculated the newer 3.0 I6 motors with Valvetronic could benefit from roughly a 7% increase in valve lift with minor modification.

Click here to enlarge

He was right and went on to develop a simple modification that mildly increases valve lift.

Dyno results on the N52 and N55 were successful and now the modification was tested out on the S55 motor by BPC (Bimmer Performance Center). Their results are below.

Click here to enlarge

Snow day at BPC today, so I took advantage of it and got my Valve Lift Mod done finally (thanks Marty!). Didn't take too terribly long, the hardest part was getting the Supports in there just right. We started the process using Marty's Washer shim technique but then remembered we have the factory BMW Spring tool so we just used that. Dyno and Tuning tomorrow, hopefully for some 93 oct. power records

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    If this mod picks up 35 WHP on the stock turbos which don't flow well in the upper RPM, I wonder what the before & after would look like with upgraded turbos!

Does this mod consist of aftermarket components? Or modified factory components?
    +1 please upgrade the turbos and keep everything else the same fior comparison sale!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also, pairing this mod with the Pure Stage 2 "Fast Spool" turbos would let you maintain low end power AND still achieve a big bump in the upper RPM's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    These are modified new OEM parts.

They increase the lift from 80% - 100% eccentric cam position. That corresponds to about the same throttle position, 80%-100% WOT.

No change in lift below 80% ECC position. Start, idle, cruise, mild acceleration is the same as stock.
    MILVs- +1mm Increase Intake Valve Lift for N52, N55, S55, N20 Engines
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ift-more-power