Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Ethanol lubrication

Hello guys,
    I'm in the UK where we don't have E85 unfortunately. So I was looking at things like toluene and xylene as octane boosters. I've often run toluene in small amounts. I also have port methanol injection.
    I notice that when running toluene or xylene in these home brew race fuels that a lubricant is often advised. A few drops of marvel mystery oil or similar as the toluene and xylene don't provide what's needed. Ethanol/alcohols are also pointed out as being good solvents that will wash cylinder walls and also don't provide much lubrication.

So that made me wonder. Does E85 contain some added lubricants? I never hear of anyone in the states using E85 and adding additional lubricant to the fuel etc.

In the UK I and many others use E98 bought for fires. This would definitely not contain a lubricant. However many of us use E25 to E50 so the other 50 to 75% containing gas probably provides the required lubrication.

Just interested on people's thoughts.

Thanks
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.
    11.74@129 on GCs.
    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, custom bucketless stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'm actually surprised someone brought this up. The only "lubrication" in E85 is the little bit of gasoline in there, which honestly isnt much.

Lubricity is one reason i tell my customers running high ethanol content mixes that they should run a few tanks of regular pump every couple tanks of the E-blend. It helps the fuel system over time.
    Twisted Tuning
    "Increasing the Area Under the Curve"
    Custom ECU Calibrations/High Performance Automotive Solutions
    MHD/SCT/COBB/ECUTEK...and much more!!
    www.twistedtuning.com
    www.facebook.com/twistedtuned
    twistedtuned@gmail.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Running E85 must increase cylinder walls washing right? Also many of us have the pcv connected to catch cans further limiting recirculating oil.
    At least with meth it's only spraying for a short time when WOT and then it's back to gas.
    Made me wonder about runs at the drag strip though. Should maybe leave the car idling for a little while after spraying all that meth to relube everything. Oil circulation and gas spraying into the cylinders.
    11.74@129 on GCs.
    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, custom bucketless stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    09 BMW E92 335i:Top Mount EFR 7670 / Motiv / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline [Full Modlist]
    07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Effect of gasoline–bioethanol blends on the properties and lubrication characteristics of commercial engine oil

http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/artic.../ra/c7ra00357a

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Additive to ethanol???

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanx for the link @cloud9blue. I'll test it out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @TwistedTuning would you recommend the Power Plus ethanol lubricant? My car only gets about 3 -5000 miles per year so it can be quite a long time between fill ups for me. I know T**y used to say that if they let their race car sit it would kill injectors every few months. Any chance this would help prevent that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by langsbr Click here to enlarge
    @TwistedTuning would you recommend the Power Plus ethanol lubricant? My car only gets about 3 -5000 miles per year so it can be quite a long time between fill ups for me. I know T**y used to say that if they let their race car sit it would kill injectors every few months. Any chance this would help prevent that?
    It sounds like the issue is the fuel absorbing water and that watery fuel sitting in injectors and corroding them. Would be best to run pump gas if letting the car sit for a while. Seem like even e85 from the pump has enough lubrication with the 15% or more gas it contains. If the car is being used often then it doesn't have long enough to absorb much water.
    What was very interesting is how oil mixing with alcohols greatly reduces the ability of the oil to lubricate. However keeping the oil at operating temperature quickly boils this alcohol out. So the cars that only drag race etc suffer in that area.

You could keep small amounts of e50 etc fuel in the tank so that you can quickly run it low and then top it with pump gas(when you plan to park the car up for some time), but more empty space in the tank allows more damp air to be in contact with fuel.
    11.74@129 on GCs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by langsbr Click here to enlarge
    You're experiencing moisture absorbing with the fuel. The PP Ethanol Lubricant was made for that. So in theory it should help. Also, people running high content of ethanol shouldn't let the cars sit for too long (mainly in hotter months) because the Ethanol can evaporate and lessen your actual content.

But it does absorb water. So thats part of the injector problem.
    Twisted Tuning
    "Increasing the Area Under the Curve"
    Custom ECU Calibrations/High Performance Automotive Solutions
    MHD/SCT/COBB/ECUTEK...and much more!!
    www.twistedtuning.com
    www.facebook.com/twistedtuned
    twistedtuned@gmail.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've used Marvel Mystery Oil added for years added to my ethanol with no issues, both lpfp and hpfp seem fine with it...