Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Turbo compressor wheel not centered in compressor housing

Hi there,
    I'm having a bit of a problem with one of my turbo, i'll keep the brand secret as to not create any drama, not why i'm posting. Obviously can't show picture either...

Is it normal for the compressor wheel not to be in the center of the compressor housing ?
    By that i mean that you can clearly see that the blades are closer to the housing on one side than the other. Not touching, but really really close.

I'm asking because this particular turbo has previously failed, and there is sign of rubbing of the old compressor wheel with the housing. So, cause or consequence of the failure ?

Thanks Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Traf Click here to enlarge
    Hi there,
    I'm having a bit of a problem with one of my turbo, i'll keep the brand secret as to not create any drama, not why i'm posting. Obviously can't show picture either...

Is it normal for the compressor wheel not to be in the center of the compressor housing ?
    By that i mean that you can clearly see that the blades are closer to the housing on one side than the other. Not touching, but really really close.

I'm asking because this particular turbo has previously failed, and there is sign of rubbing of the old compressor wheel with the housing. So, cause or consequence of the failure ?

Thanks Click here to enlarge
    impellers should be center. you you have bearing failure or something to cause that
    Twisted Tuning
    "Increasing the Area Under the Curve"
    Custom ECU Calibrations/High Performance Automotive Solutions
    MHD/SCT/COBB/ECUTEK...and much more!!
    www.twistedtuning.com
    www.facebook.com/twistedtuned
    twistedtuned@gmail.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know the center bearing / cartridge basically 'floats' on the oil lubricating around it while in operation, so wonder if it could be the cartridge is leaning slightly just because it's dry.

I suggest you look real close at the compressor housing to see if the blade looks like it's made contact at all - if so, it's toast. If not, would think it might be fine.

You really need to post a pic, redact whatever you need to.
    2009 535i Sport
    Software: JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
    Hardware: GC Lites | Inlets | Outlet | 3" D-P's | 7" FMIC | S2 LPFP | TBI | DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 3.5 TMAP | RB PCV | Koni FSD

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If it's an oversize compressor wheel, the profile was likley turned off center from the diameter that locates on the chra. China quality machining.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TwistedTuning Click here to enlarge
    impellers should be center. you you have bearing failure or something to cause that
    I was leaning towards a machining defect of the compressor housing, the CHRA as no play and is new.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LessIsMore Click here to enlarge
    I know the center bearing / cartridge basically 'floats' on the oil lubricating around it while in operation, so wonder if it could be the cartridge is leaning slightly just because it's dry.

I suggest you look real close at the compressor housing to see if the blade looks like it's made contact at all - if so, it's toast. If not, would think it might be fine.

You really need to post a pic, redact whatever you need to.
    It does not make contact, but really really close, i'll measure the exact clearance but its around 1mm on one side, probably 0.5mm or even less on the other side.

*Edit: and i can't post pictures if i don't want to give away the brand.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fredcase Click here to enlarge
    If it's an oversize compressor wheel, the profile was likley turned off center from the diameter that locates on the chra. China quality machining.
    Lol that is what i was thinking, sort of. Thanks for your input.
    And yes this is a oversized compressor wheel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What did the manufacture say when you contacted them?
    E92 Bren Tune / E70 TTD JBD X2

Got Boost?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    What did the manufacture say when you contacted them?
    "Its perfectly fine", something like that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If they say it is no issue, which apparently they have, get it in writing from them they will pay labor if that turbo becomes an issues within 5k miles.

Or ask for another turbo and send back the suspect one.

Seems to me the most logical options...I would never go through the hassle of installing a suspect part, or pay someone. Might as well get another that you feel comfortable with imo.

Got Boost?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If they say it is no issue, which apparently they have, get it in writing from them they will pay labor if that turbo becomes an issues within 5k miles.

Or ask for another turbo and send back the suspect one.

Seems to me the most logical options...I would never go through the hassle of installing a suspect part, or pay someone. Might as well get another that you feel comfortable with imo.
    I'm the one installing the turbos, and frankly i'd rather not have to do the install again. Not that hard, but time consuming.
    Like you said, i won't install it like that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Post pictures, let's get this sorted out. Brand exposure or not, @Sticky is a firm supporter of transparency and honesty on this forum. You do NOT need to bother with installing a turbo that could fail.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Proflyer Click here to enlarge
    Post pictures, let's get this sorted out. Brand exposure or not, @Sticky is a firm supporter of transparency and honesty on this forum. You do NOT need to bother with installing a turbo that could fail.
    Certain vendors are known to limit their help if you air their dirty laundry...it has happened before.

Personally if the vendor makes it right I would just ask this to be closed. If the vendor suddenly starts giving him a problem then make it all public. Post emails/screen shots, etc.

In this day and age with how fast information travels I think vendors know they have to take care of their customers or else it quickly becomes public knowledge and will live forever on the internet. See Frankenturbo lying about compressor maps.

Got Boost?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's supposed to be center for sure. If you put some effort into it you should be able to push the wheel at any direction and come equidistant to the housing bore regardless of the portion of the housing you are pushing towards. Not sure the brand this is (we didn't get any email) but another tip especially on the smaller OE N54 compressor housings is to ensure the housing is seated properly. Sometimes this can be difficult to do but usually some tapping around the housing with a soft mallet (or the like) will seat it. Using a flathead screwdriver also can be used to attempt to wedge the large circlip into place around the housing circumference, which can also help seat it.

At the end of the day it would be very difficult to mess this up machining-wise, so it would seem that it is most likely that the housing just isn't seated properly.

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Now we know they are vargas.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If he can't shoot us a pic of the compressor wheel w/o giving away who it is ...
    which company's engrave their compressor wheels? Frankenturbo, any one else?
    2009 535i Sport
    Software: JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
    Hardware: GC Lites | Inlets | Outlet | 3" D-P's | 7" FMIC | S2 LPFP | TBI | DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 3.5 TMAP | RB PCV | Koni FSD

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for all your inputs.

I resited the compressor housing 2 or 3 times already, cleaned everything even the oring, still not centered. Frankly if it is not a bad machining then the CHRA is bad. Which would be surprising because its new.

I cannot deny nor confirm if its Vargas. Denying would narrow the list, confirming would point the finger.

As for the picture... I don't see how i could post a picture without giving it away.

Ohh i forgot, the turbine wheel is centered in the turbine housing, which again would point to a bad machining of the compressor housing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for all your inputs.

I resited the compressor housing 2 or 3 times already, cleaned everything even the oring, still not centered. Frankly if it is not a bad machining then the CHRA is bad. Which would be surprising because its new.

I cannot deny nor confirm if its Vargas. Denying would narrow the list, confirming would point the finger.

As for the picture... I don't see how i could post a picture without giving it away.

Ohh i forgot, the turbine wheel is centered in the turbine housing, which again would point to a bad machining of the compressor housing.
    Well looks like it should be chalked up as some kind of odd machining error and thus is a simple case of just emailing the vendor and telling them to make it centered (like the other unit you have from this apparently is), surely they'd be the best ones out there to address it and make it right for you.

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    涡轮增压器是按照设计运作的

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2364 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Certain vendors are known to limit their help if you air their dirty laundry...it has happened before.
    This is true.

I'm for all full disclosure but if it means the OP will have warranty issues it certainly isn't worth it.

I hope he gets this resolved.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i would never install a turbo that looks off center! You are asking for trouble down the road.

I only had it happen after install due to flooding it with oil (oil return line kinked). take it back, beg for a new one, or even sell it even if its at a loss. the headache of a failed turbo on these cars would be worth the price. trust me!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Do you have the other mystery turbo to compare it to?

I don't understand the secrecy. This turbo is completely rebuilt and has not been installed since being rebuilt, correct?

If a vendor is willing to not honor an implied warranty because of releasing photos of a product they rebuilt and deemed ready to be installed, wouldn't you want other consumers to know? Isn't that the whole point of forum communities? Full transparency is part of the reason I like this forum better than most.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chadillac2000 Click here to enlarge
    Do you have the other mystery turbo to compare it to?

I don't understand the secrecy. This turbo is completely rebuilt and has not been installed since being rebuilt, correct?

If a vendor is willing to not honor an implied warranty because of releasing photos of a product they rebuilt and deemed ready to be installed, wouldn't you want other consumers to know? Isn't that the whole point of forum communities? Full transparency is part of the reason I like this forum better than most.
    Can never believe a consumer buys into the "post publicly and your warranty is denied" bit. Ok because that would REALLY make someone feel warm and cozy about buying from a particular vendor. Still scratching the head as to whether it is some sort of evil genius however, as the internets love to hear about bad review(s) and they certainly remember them for life.

At any rate considering the amount of effort that goes into rebuilding/replacing/etc each turbo one would think the vendor would be ecstatic to catch the issue PRIOR to install as the turbo is still NEW (ie. much easier/less costly resurrecting said issue now than after the turbo self destructs).

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes i compared it to the other turbo, there is a clear difference.
    I decided to install them, if the turbo in question fails. Then you'll hear from me again.
    If it does not, then the misaligment would have turned out to not have been an issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2364 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes i compared it to the other turbo, there is a clear difference.
    I decided to install them, if the turbo in question fails. Then you'll hear from me again.
    If it does not, then the misaligment would have turned out to not have been an issue.
    Hope it works out for you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Hope it works out for you.
    Probably will not, i'm kind of unlucky when it comes to stuff like that, but thanks !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast