Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

RHD (Right Hand Drive) LS1 Swap assistance required

Morning all,

Steve sending a shout out from the land down under. I am located in Sydney Australia and am in the process of project planning an LS1 swao into my e46 Touring. I know these swaps are very common in the U.S. but no so much here in AUS.

There are a number of parts freely available for this swap (conversion kits) however they are all made for left hand drive cars. Engne mounts and gearbox mounts gave been designed with the engine being offset to the right to allow clearance for the steering shaft and headers, etc..

Does anyone know of anyone that has done this conversion for a right hand drive vehicle that they can put me in contact with? Am looking to see where they got their mounts made. Hoping that they have kept the jig for this so to speak so i can get them fabricated. Unfortunately I am not in a position where i can have the car off the road in order to do this. The idea is to source all parts required and when i have them all, pull the car off the road and have it installed, engineered and street legal within a month. Any help would be much appreciated guys
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2443 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    First of all, welcome.

As for a RHD LS1 E46 swap... I have no idea where to point you.

I'm sure it's been done but let's see who I can get to help.

@Itsbrokeagain you have any ideas here?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

thanks sticky, all help appreciated on this one

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thats a tough one. I wasnt even aware these kits were offset to one side, I just see LS swaps being performed all over and the motors look pretty centered in the engine bay. If anything Id be worried more about the headers as they would contact the steering shaft more than anything else.

I know Jesus Freak on bfc makes the mounts, you could try contacting him on there? Being a one-off car like yours, you may end up having to take it off the road for some R&D or fab work. Doing a swap has never seemed to be a full complete process over the course of a two day weekend...something ends up being wrong or out of place and delays it another few days or even weeks...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hey mate, Correct in saying headers , steering shaft, etc. this is the reason they make the mounts slightly off centre in roder to allow enough clearance for the shaft and custom headers that need to to go in. Without stating the obvious here, headers are shaped very differently from the drivers side and the passenger side sue to clearance as well as steering shaft. As a result, the mounts offset the engine and tranny slightly to give enough room for clearance as stated above.

In theory, what this would mean is that the lhd kits would actually offset the motor and tranny on a rhd car closer the to the side of the engine bay leaving lees room for headers as well as the steering shaft.. There is a bloke here in Aus that has done this before and he can make the engine mounts but is charging stupid money for them. $1,500 Aus not including gearbox mounts. All other parts for a lhd kit such as custom oil pan, bell housing for the t56 box, starter motor, etc all work fine. I have put the feelers out on some very old posts from guys that have done this in the UK but no resposne as yet. Post are many years old.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Speaking with the guys at Vorshlag - "In our development of the E36 RHD LS1 Kits, we have found that we don't have to offset the engine due to the different brake booster clearance, and the steering shaft angle. But without a car here, we can't be sure of it for the E46"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2443 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tubbs76 Click here to enlarge
    Speaking with the guys at Vorshlag - "In our development of the E36 RHD LS1 Kits, we have found that we don't have to offset the engine due to the different brake booster clearance, and the steering shaft angle. But without a car here, we can't be sure of it for the E46"
    Those guys know their swaps.

So what can you do? Maybe take it to a local shop and coordinate to get it done?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

May have too, like any project, its about planning and trying to get the maximum return for minimal outlay. Considering mounts like Vorshlag and other companies are about $800 Aus with conversion and they are $1500 Aus here, that's $700 to put towards another part of the build. It may well be that I may need to suck it up and spend the cash. The guys at Vorshlag have been great. i have been working with them to work towards getting some answers and maybe a kit done. Highly recommended.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

May have too, like any project, its about planning and trying to get the maximum return for minimal outlay. Considering mounts like Vorshlag and other companies are about $800 Aus with conversion and they are $1500 Aus here, that's $700 to put towards another part of the build. It may well be that I may need to suck it up and spend the cash. The guys at Vorshlag have been great. i have been working with them to work towards getting some answers and maybe a kit done. Highly recommended.
    For anyone that may be intersted, purchased an ls1 5.7L
    From a 04 vy ss.

It begins

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Have made a number if contact who have done this conversion before and habe pointed me in the right direction. Jeaders that work and fit from flowmaster are $330 aus. Only requires a 2 inch cut and weld from the colletor back to clear the standard steering shaft.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From a 04 vy ss.

It begins
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2443 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From a 04 vy ss.

It begins
    Respect.

Much respect on this project.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Cheers Sticky. I have already bought a replacment wring loom that will ne sent to wiring specialities in the US for modification. Have sourced the corret oil pan to be used in roder to clear the steering rack. Everything else required believe it or not is pretty straight forward. Will slowly accumulate all required and when i have it all, will spend 2 weeks putting it all together. Stay tuned.. will be some time in between drinks or posts should the say. Have a new mate of mine who is also doing this project her in Aus, much further down than i am, he is turbo charging it, should see this thing, absolute work of beauty

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im looking forward to seeing the end result.
    Im in Australia also and habe been thinking about an LS swap for the past 12months

Would i beable to reach out at some point to get better understanding on where you purchased your engine / transmounts and otger associated parts

Best of luck with the build
    And i look forward to seeing your progress.

I currently have an e46 320imsport wishing for transplant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2443 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MPW Click here to enlarge
    Im looking forward to seeing the end result.
    Im in Australia also and habe been thinking about an LS swap for the past 12months

Would i beable to reach out at some point to get better understanding on where you purchased your engine / transmounts and otger associated parts

Best of luck with the build
    And i look forward to seeing your progress.

I currently have an e46 320imsport wishing for transplant
    @tubbs76

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Morning all, I have created a facebook page (early days) where I am documenting the swap. very slow progress due t time and family commitments but moving along never the less, the page is called BMW 320i LS1 Swap

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2443 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Morning all, I have created a facebook page (early days) where I am documenting the swap. very slow progress due t time and family commitments but moving along never the less, the page is called BMW 320i LS1 Swap
    You can link if you like. Here it is: https://www.facebook.com/e46LS1swap/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi if you are still struggling with your LS swap i have recently completed in a E46 Sedan all engineered and registered in the Land Down Under - happy to help out

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For anybody interested in LS1 swapping in Australia these guys are the ones..
    https://www.brintechcustoms.com.au/

From memory they were one of the first in the world to do it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They sell ready made mounts and are generally very helpful fellow's

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2443 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Aus335iGuy Click here to enlarge
    For anybody interested in LS1 swapping in Australia these guys are the ones..
    https://www.brintechcustoms.com.au/

From memory they were one of the first in the world to do it
    These guys seriously are awesome.