Thread: N54 summed up

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2338 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

N54 summed up

Anyone disagree?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Lauri Mattila
    Welcome to the world of N54, where not a day goes by without a misfire, rattle, CEL, long crank, squealing or blue smoke...you'll still tune it and love it though

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Love it? ehhhhhh .. I just couldn't find anything better for the price

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2338 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by psychosinmylobby Click here to enlarge
    Love it? ehhhhhh .. I just couldn't find anything better for the price
    I wasn't expecting anyone to be this honest.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    698 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It was funny at the last No Fly Zone, at some point during the day literally every one of the ~8 N54s racing was up on jackstands/ramps, or with the hood open and groups of people standing around with tools, for some reason or another during the day. Still, the N54 is quite a value these days and with the right setups and tuning can be quite reliable. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree lol. I love the N54 though, I have 3 of them.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

All engines have issues of one kind or another when heavily modded, and the N54 does better than most.

The common issues with the N54 at high-modification levels are relatively minor, compared to similar on pretty much any other motor. Yeah, these engines may eat coils, injectors, and wastegates rattle, etc. - but better than the pistons, trans input shafts, lifting heads, etc. that most other platforms would see at a similar level of modding and/or power.
    2009 535i Sport
    548 whp/ 489 wtq

Software: JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
    Hardware: GC Lites | Inlets | Outlet | 3" D-P's | 7" FMIC | S2 LPFP | TBI | DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 3.5 TMAP | RB PCV | Koni FSD

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I’m working through the bugs on mine but have to admit she can take some abuse and when she is on she is one nasty $#@!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ninjacoupe Click here to enlarge
    I’m working through the bugs on mine but have to admit she can take some abuse and when she is on she is one nasty $#@!!!
    I want to see your car dude! I'm staying in hicksville for the next couple days.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2338 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Payam@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I want to see your car dude! I'm staying in hicksville for the next couple days.
    Which is where?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm happy with mine. It was cutting-edge at the time and I'd prever cutting-edge than old tried-and-true but lesser performance.

I've had mine nearly 3 years. I've replaced a water pump and all injectors. Spark plugs twice. I'm very happy with that. It's a small price to pay for the kind of performance these engines have and their tuneability.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

I would rather the car throw codes than do physical damage any day.

The car is cautiously safe which is best for the majority of people and situations. The ignition system isn't the best because the car wasn't designed to run on alcohol fuels or the power levels people are often running them at

It's fair to say the HPFP and water pump sucked on the car. Obviously the turbos were only designed for 8 psi. The fact they can do 20+ and so many components on the car can take that increased power for so long is pretty impressive.
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.
    11.74@129 on GCs.
    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, custom bucketless stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Payam@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Ur in my neck of the woods. I'll be at the shop all weekend tearing the interior out of my E39 come thru lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by langsbr Click here to enlarge
    I think all the FUD is from the SBC days when guys would rebuild them in their garage and use a bead hone on their drill.
    Sigh...good times :-). Get a Holley and headers and some camel hump heads and a solid lifter cam and you're the fastest guy on mainstreet in your little town.

Internet? What's that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Carl Morris Click here to enlarge
    Sigh...good times :-). Get a Holley and headers and some camel hump heads and a solid lifter cam and you're the fastest guy on mainstreet in your little town.

Internet? What's that?
    Haha you had me at Cameltoe. I mean hump camel hump lol you forgot the 3/4 race cam!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    302 Fords always were more popular here in SC. EVERYONE had 3.73s, trickflow heads, and a Wolverine 1087 cam, lol.

That 3/4 race cam stuff always cracks me up though!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by langsbr Click here to enlarge
    302 Fords always were more popular here in SC. EVERYONE had 3.73s, trickflow heads, and a Wolverine 1087 cam, lol.
    Even before Fox bodies? Prior to about 87 everything was SBCs in old Camaros or pickups in Wyoming.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2338 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ninjacoupe build posts moved to their own thread: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...ntake-manifold

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Member of the leaky turbo seals here! Damn you E40 blend
    2008 135i, Satin Metalic Blue on Black , JB4 G5 ISO W/ Blutooth connect kit, DCI, CP-E DP's and mid, AA Axel back, 1 Gal trunk mount meth.
    2007 HD Road Glide
    My Soundcloud, Give it a shot: https://soundcloud.com/dj-a-r-f