Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Another M62/M60, Eaton M112. A few questions?

Hey Guys,

I've started accumulating parts to put together the next heart for my E34 540i/6.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I've given myself a stringent $2k U.S. budget to get together the engine I've had in mind. An M62B44 bottom end, M60B40 heads & cams. Jaguar Eaton M112 running low boost. As is the M60 heads on the M62 produces roughly 10.94-11:1 static CR.

I live at 6kft elevation and want to treat the SC as elevation compensation, yet maintain the higher compression of the engine for low end fun. My plan is spin the Eaton at a 1.38:1 ratio by way of a 4" pulley; by my calcs that will yield close to a 3.5psi boost.

At my elevation I already lose 2.9psi of atmospheric pressure (generalized).

Picked up the shortblock, M62 4.4L non-vanos:

Click here to enlarge

Also have the Jag Eaton M112, ready for clean up and rebuild.

Click here to enlarge

A complete M60B40 engine assembly is being shipped in order to rob the heads, cams, dual chain timing set up and timing covers.

So far my tally adds up to ($US):

M62 short block - $250.00 local pickup
    M60B40 complete - $463.25 shipped
    Complete SC assembly with intercoolers, inlet & outlet duct - $410.00 shipped
    Jag lower intake manifolds with injectors & fuel rails - $156.20
    4" SC pulley - $80

Total: $1,359.45, leaving $640.55 in the budget.

Other known expenses; Jag lower manifolds to BMW V8 heads adapter plates, blower mounts & belt idler kit. Head gaskets, SC gaskets, SC rebuild kit & oil, other engine gaskets.

A few techie questions:

A) Where can I find the SC to BMW V8 adapters?

B) Running such low boost & slower rotor RPM is it still necessary to run the boost bypass on idle, high manifold vacuum cruise & decel? Could I get away with blocking the bypass and still manage IAT's? The water to air intercoolers will be hooked up and using a heat exchanger up front with an electric water pump.

C) As is, on my M62 short block the pistons sit .033" (.84mm) above deck. Victor Reinz offers MLS head gaskets for my application with a 1.74mm (.069") or 2.07mm (.081"). Giving my build either an .036" (.91mm) squish/quench or with the thicker head gasket a .048" (1.22mm) squish/quench. The difference between the two head gasket thicknesses translates to roughly .5 of a full compression bump. I was going to wait to CC the head chambers before making a decision on HG thickness, but in this application do you think it would be better to run higher static CR with tighter quench or slightly lower CR with less quench?

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

D) If I don't need to retard intake cam I wasn't planning it, in fact I was thinking the overlap boost bleed could help keep cylinder pressures down. Unless it would be a good idea to lower DCR with a retard intake closing angle. By my calcs going from the O.E 109 ICL to 120 ICL delivers a smooth power & torque curve in boost but could really make the engine doggy in boost bypass (if I need to run one).

Other parts already in my build:

Coils & E46 M3 3.62:1 limited slip 210mm center section.

Click here to enlarge

MAFT-Pro piggyback speed density conversion that allows for up to 3bar of boost management. Ostrich 2.0" chip emulator running the original Bosch Motronic M3.3 with custom .BINs

Click here to enlarge

Vac/Boost reference FPR, 3 bar MAP.

Click here to enlarge

S65 exhaust manifolds, not a direct bolt on but I've got a plan:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've been chewing up the compression numbers, running an online calc that gives dynamic compression.

From my calcs. in NA trim a M62 with B40 heads & cams @ 6kft elevation on 120° cam intake centerline would be the equivalent of 8.85:1 static compression of a stock M62 at sea level.

From my research, every 2psi of boost adds 1.4 compression. So 3.5psi would equivocally be 11.3:1 static compression at sea level.

An N/A M62/M60 engine at sea level with OE M60B40 cam timing (52° IVC) would be 9.51:1 Effective/Dynamic compression.
    M62/M60 with 120° ICL (63° IVC) @ 6kft elev +3.5psi of boost would be 9.73:1 Effective/Dynamic compression

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I've been truckin along with the project, updated of a few calcs after clean up and re-measure.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Roughly 50cc chamber volume:

Click here to enlarge

M62 pistons sit .025" out of the hole at TDC, I found there to be a slight dish in the piston and roughly -4cc of volume in the piston tops.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

The MLS gasket measures 1.74mm thickness... new static compression ratio calcs

Click here to enlarge

New M60 timing guides, gears & chains:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Jaguar Eaton M112 to M60/M62 heads adapters:

Click here to enlarge

Opened up the bank2 water port:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

M60B40 heads back from machine shop:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Converted original OBD1 Motronic M3.3 over to aftermarket standalone efi. I wanted to try a DIY system called Speeduino.

The Speeduino uses 4 injector channels and 4 ignition channels meaning it'll fire the V8 in waste spark and semi-batch fire.

The original COP system could be wired to work but I wanted to utilize a few MSD parts I've had in my pile-o-stuff.

The plan here is to convert the running vehicle with it's N/A M60B40 in steps.

First step: Waste spark ignition with original Bosch motronic:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

With the vehicle running and driving with the Motronic in waste spark mode firing the aftermarket ignition system. It's time to graft in the Speeduino DIY EFI:

Click here to enlarge

Short video of the first fire up and test drive with the Speeduino:

Click here to enlarge

Now the system runs on Speed Density, no more MAF and the tuning tables are easily configurable and tuning will be much easier with it's RPM vs MAP kpa axis instead of the motronics MAF based system that is mostly RPM vs calculated Load axis. I'm fully confident to tune and run the system with the supercharged engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A few casualties along the way:

Had a clutch disc seize to the pressure plate, installed an OE style luk clutch to replace the Spec brand kevlar disc and stage II PP. Always hated that kevlar disc on the street. the Luk feels & drives much better.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Took the car to a racing event that weekend:

Click here to enlarge

A month or so later I took a corner rather aggressive & hit an uneven patch of highway, got wheel hop really bad and by the time I pulled out of it the car had developed a new driveline vibration. The right side axle was moving rather awkward while the vehicle was on stands and idling in gear. While replacing the axles I noticed the 2.93:1 open rear diff wasn't spinning very well. The spider gears felt clunky and it took more force to spin the pinion by hand then I thought was right. I took the opportunity to drop the diff and install an E46 M3 3.62:1 limited slip Ring, Pinion & carrier I've had for a while.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

So now my project will have a 3.62:1 limited slip behind that supercharged M62

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Putting it together, one bolt and one piece at a time...

Degree'd the cams. Using aftermarket timing blocks I've found they set the cam timing up for a 108° ICL & 108° LSA with 211°Int/206°Exh durations @ 1mm valve lift. I've set the cam timings up for a more boost friendly 110° ICL & 112°LSA

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Modified supercharger to bolt down to adapters:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Flipped supercharger pulley for belt alignment:

Click here to enlarge

Ran into oil filter canister location problems, between E34 canister and E38 timing covers so I decided to mount an old hot rodders dual spin on filter bracket using -12an hose.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Started to DEI wrap the S65 manifolds. Will be working on the flanges next week to bolt down to the heads, ran out of wrap but will re-do a thorough job when more arrives:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mykk Click here to enlarge
    Started to DEI wrap the S65 manifolds.
    Why not have them ceramic coated?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi
    Were did you by the adapters?
    E-mail ore thone if you got ??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awesome build, doing a boosted M62 myself.

Have done 750whp with a stock M60 before, running E85.

Looking forward to see where this leads but have to comment on the ECU you are using.

The ECU is what makes or breaks how your vehicle is acting, i'd go for a ECUmaster or Link unit.

I've tried these Speeduino units and they're just SO limited, at least from a turbo standpoint.

Looking forward to see your results.
    Click here to enlarge