Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 87
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    972
    Rep Points
    1,167.0
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    My 2017 911 Carrera project

    Inspiring by another forum's thread, but then who wouldn't want to make your car lighter and go fast at the same time?, I decided to transform the base 911.2 to what I personally consider my ultimate 911. The goal is to reach 2900 lbs and 500 bhp (certainly don't mind going higher either but 500 is starting point) with the least amount of killing_my_kids_college_funds.

    Quick background: my first car was Isuzu I mark that I paid for $500 Click here to enlarge , then Honda Civic (fun car), Audi A4 (too heavy but very nice interior and no steering feel whatsoever), Subaru WRX (had some wonderful time here), BMW 335i (loving it still as of today, my DD), M4 (first M car; bought it without test drove, big mistake. Feel like a little boat in stock form even though torquey and fast). I then sold the M4 and got the base 911 around last Thanksgiving. I still remember I wanted to sleep in the car the night I picked her up. Due to rear engine design and perhaps other magics, the handling of 911 puts smiles on my face instantly.

    Phase 1: Weight saving

    1. Exhaust: the new SpeedTech complete system (including 2 cats) is about 23 lbs. Stock PSE system is about 42.3 lbs. Weigh saving should be 20 lbs.
    2. Wheels: thinking about Forgeline GA1R open lug wheels. Should be -20 lbs unsprung weight.
    3. Battery: not sure if Voltphreaks 750 would work for 991.2 but that should shave off at least another 10-15 lbs.
    4. Lighter flywheel and clutch: not sure how yet. Besides it might be cost prohibited as I've heard they have something in the $10k range for shorter gears and lighter. Will probably pass until there will be cheaper alternative.


    Phase 2: Tuning

    1. Cobb/GIAC: hoping they will have something for the base which could yield +80 bhp and some nice torque. Maybe putting few gallons of e85 which won't be a problem.
    2. IPD and headers: will wait out until I will put more miles on the car. Still only 2,200+ miles on her.

    I do plan on taking weights and dyno runs before and after. Can't wait.....

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    131,368
    Rep Points
    38,072.9
    Mentioned
    2353 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    381


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    The goal is to reach 2900 lbs and 500 bhp (certainly don't mind going higher either but 500 is starting point) with the least amount of killing_my_kids_college_funds.
    2900 pounds???? How??

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    131,368
    Rep Points
    38,072.9
    Mentioned
    2353 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    381


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    Phase 1: Weight saving

    1. Exhaust: the new SpeedTech complete system (including 2 cats) is about 23 lbs. Stock PSE system is about 42.3 lbs. Weigh saving should be 20 lbs.
    2. Wheels: thinking about Forgeline GA1R open lug wheels. Should be -20 lbs unsprung weight.
    3. Battery: not sure if Voltphreaks 750 would work for 991.2 but that should shave off at least another 10-15 lbs.
    4. Lighter flywheel and clutch: not sure how yet. Besides it might be cost prohibited as I've heard they have something in the $10k range for shorter gears and lighter. Will probably pass until there will be cheaper alternative.
    Ok, let's take a look here.

    What about a rear seat delete?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    972
    Rep Points
    1,167.0
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12



    Yes Reputation No
    On the bench on this one...remembers Asians do fit? My daughter and nieces still fit so maybe later on but not initially.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    131,368
    Rep Points
    38,072.9
    Mentioned
    2353 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    381


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    remembers Asians do fit?
    Indeed they do.

    The area you would pick up the greatest weight savings is going to lightweight seats and ditching the rear seats but then you are compromising the car a bit.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    972
    Rep Points
    1,167.0
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    2900 pounds???? How??
    Is that unrealistic? With backseats deletion and above mods would substract close to 100 lbs. We havent touched carbon fiber hood and sunroof deletion.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    131,368
    Rep Points
    38,072.9
    Mentioned
    2353 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    381


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    Is that unrealistic? With backseats deletion and above mods would substract close to 100 lbs. We havent touched carbon fiber hood and sunroof deletion.....
    Sunroof deletion is something I would be interested in.

    Hell, I hope you pull this off. I'd love to shave 150 pounds or so off the car. I would be VERY happy if I could hit that 31XX range. Thing would be a rocket!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    972
    Rep Points
    1,167.0
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12



    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Exhaust are in. Big day is this Wednesday....I was going to get DSC v2 for suspension as well but need to defer due to sunroof error code from DSC part.

    Some pics...mixed feeling about quality (the way they look) but will see....Judging from driving the GT3 myself and listen to how it sounds, there's no video clip will do justice unless hearing the exhaust in real life.

    Will utilize stock tips.

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    131,368
    Rep Points
    38,072.9
    Mentioned
    2353 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    381


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    Will utilize stock tips.
    Forgot to tell you I have tips in the works. $500 for Fabspeed is a joke.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    972
    Rep Points
    1,167.0
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12



    Yes Reputation No
    Update on GT3 steering feel endeavor for the C2....Both front and back GT3 suspension and all the bits come with it is $7.5k. I'm hesitant as I thought the RWS is also important component of the GT3 handling recipe....I might need to test drive non-gt3 with RWS in order to make a better judgement.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    131,368
    Rep Points
    38,072.9
    Mentioned
    2353 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    381


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    Update on GT3 steering feel endeavor for the C2....Both front and back GT3 suspension and all the bits come with it is $7.5k. I'm hesitant as I thought the RWS is also important component of the GT3 handling recipe....I might need to test drive non-gt3 with RWS in order to make a better judgement.
    You want to put the GT3 bits on your car?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    972
    Rep Points
    1,167.0
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12



    Yes Reputation No
    Just control arms and coilovers. Quite few folks doing it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    131,368
    Rep Points
    38,072.9
    Mentioned
    2353 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    381


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    Just control arms and coilovers. Quite few folks doing it.
    I might be interested in doing it as well.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gulf of Mexico
    Posts
    347
    Rep Points
    366.0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    Exhaust are in. Big day is this Wednesday....I was going to get DSC v2 for suspension as well but need to defer due to sunroof error code from DSC part.

    Some pics...mixed feeling about quality (the way they look) but will see....Judging from driving the GT3 myself and listen to how it sounds, there's no video clip will do justice unless hearing the exhaust in real life.

    Will utilize stock tips.

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge
    Awesome! Im looking forward to your review. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do. With just my Fabspeed X-Pipe it's getting a lot louder after 8k miles. If I add race cats it's going to be unbearable to drive daily. It's louder than PSE with the valves open. I might just get the Fabspeed cat bypass pipes and throw the stock muffler back on.
    2017 Porsche 911
    2017 Evoque
    2012 E92 M3

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    131,368
    Rep Points
    38,072.9
    Mentioned
    2353 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    381


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Surquhar Click here to enlarge
    I might just get the Fabspeed cat bypass pipes and throw the stock muffler back on.
    You'll get a CEL...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gulf of Mexico
    Posts
    347
    Rep Points
    366.0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You'll get a CEL...
    Yeah I know. I'm going to ask about that when I talk to that GIAC shop tomorrow.
    2017 Porsche 911
    2017 Evoque
    2012 E92 M3

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    131,368
    Rep Points
    38,072.9
    Mentioned
    2353 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    381


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Surquhar Click here to enlarge
    Yeah I know. I'm going to ask about that when I talk to that GIAC shop tomorrow.
    Wait, don't get the GIAC tune. If we both are interested in it that is good business for them but if they are just going to ignore the forum bringing them customers why should we reward them?

    Let's see what @Seth@GIAC has to say first.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    972
    Rep Points
    1,167.0
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    Dyno prelim result

    353 whp for Dynojet baseline. They're trying to find a pinout for the 991.2 ECU so they could get a good tachometer signal so no torque reading yet...I'm happy with the stock power Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gulf of Mexico
    Posts
    347
    Rep Points
    366.0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    353 whp for Dynojet baseline. They're trying to find a pinout for the 991.2 ECU so they could get a good tachometer signal so no torque reading yet...I'm happy with the stock power Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge
    Thats awesome!
    2017 Porsche 911
    2017 Evoque
    2012 E92 M3

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    131,368
    Rep Points
    38,072.9
    Mentioned
    2353 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    381


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    353 whp for Dynojet baseline. They're trying to find a pinout for the 991.2 ECU so they could get a good tachometer signal so no torque reading yet...I'm happy with the stock power Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge
    No trouble on the Dynojet with RWD I see? Ok, so a manual is fine to dyno. We need confirmation on PDK.

    Feels good to have a baseline, doesn't it?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    972
    Rep Points
    1,167.0
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12



    Yes Reputation No
    Hell yeah!!! My 500bhp goal is not too far away!

    They told me PDK wont work on rwd. I will ask them y tomorrow when picking up mine. One of the O2 sensor bungs is undrneath heat shield. Thgey need to adjust it then get on dyno again....cant wait!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    131,368
    Rep Points
    38,072.9
    Mentioned
    2353 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    381


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    They told me PDK wont work on rwd. I will ask them y tomorrow when picking up mine.
    Cool. Looking forward to what they say.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    972
    Rep Points
    1,167.0
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12



    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Well, exhausts system was installed. Two words: get it!!!!

    I am a bit disappointed that it did not gain any power on the dyno...I might be actually losing a few hp but....yesterday was warmer than today so .....
    The sound: even not in sport mode, I'm in love. If GT3 is 10, mine now is 8.5-9. NO MORE dull sound inside cabin. It's grumbling (spelling?) once you hit the Start button. Much much deeper tone. Pops and crackles are still there but deeper overall. I did make the video before installation. Will do some videos for after and post later. However, videos won't do justice in my opinion. Trust me. Get it.

    On another positive note, it is lighter than stock system so I'm happy.

    Before:

    Click here to enlarge

    After

    Click here to enlarge

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    972
    Rep Points
    1,167.0
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Cool. Looking forward to what they say.
    From the shop....


    For some reason, on the PDK cars when all 4 wheels are not spinning (even with only RWD), it throws the car into a “limp” mode and only makes ~200hp or so.

    Not sure why

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gulf of Mexico
    Posts
    347
    Rep Points
    366.0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    Well, exhausts system was installed. Two words: get it!!!!

    I am a bit disappointed that it did not gain any power on the dyno...I might be actually losing a few hp but....yesterday was warmer than today so .....
    The sound: even not in sport mode, I'm in love. If GT3 is 10, mine now is 8.5-9. NO MORE dull sound inside cabin. It's grumbling (spelling?) once you hit the Start button. Much much deeper tone. Pops and crackles are still there but deeper overall. I did make the video before installation. Will do some videos for after and post later. However, videos won't do justice in my opinion. Trust me. Get it.

    On another positive note, it is lighter than stock system so I'm happy.

    Before:

    Click here to enlarge

    After

    Click here to enlarge
    Nice! Did you replace just the rear section or did you add race cats?
    2017 Porsche 911
    2017 Evoque
    2012 E92 M3

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •