Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N54 Intake?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

N54 Intake?

Just saw ECS Tuning has an intake for the N54. Anyone have this yet? Looks pretty badass

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-335...ake/ES2713282/

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    does look pretty badass, me wants!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This intake with VTT Inlets would be a killer combo
    Click here to enlarge

Left hand on the steering wheel right hand on that RTD Shifter
    -2Chainz

07 6spd TI ag E92

Mods
    Boostbox, e85, RTD shifter, and a 6766
    #BuiltByHaborFreight

Instagram Oss_Cah5

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'll second that, these with vtts would be sick but 1200 dollar intake is hard to stomach for me. I would prefer just one of the new inlet kit. Unless I was going for show or the noise bothered me

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2401 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Definitely looks cool. But what looks cool isn't always fast...

Needs data. Independent data.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

To me it just looks like a glorified stock airbox, supposed to flow better but uses the same intake tract so not sure how it would flow much better than stock with a drop in K&N filter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nikitino25 Click here to enlarge
    To me it just looks like a glorified stock airbox, supposed to flow better but uses the same intake tract so not sure how it would flow much better than stock with a drop in K&N filter.
    The restriction with the stock airbox is not actually from the pre-filter intake tract so much as the actual airbox itself and the fact that the space between the panel filter/intake piping and the top of the lid is way too narrow. The air would have to travel up through the panel filter then through a very narrow space before heading down the intake piping.

With this design the entire box is open and you no longer have a single panel filter but dual cones so a much larger surface area so it would reduce the stock air box restriction. Whether the pre-filter intake tract then becomes the bottleneck can only be seen with testing. I guess this could be simply done with the lid of this intake system either open or closed.
    Stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would be interested to see test results with the lid on vs off.....and then also with some inlets such as vtt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by froop Click here to enlarge
    The restriction with the stock airbox is not actually from the pre-filter intake tract so much as the actual airbox itself and the fact that the space between the panel filter/intake piping and the top of the lid is way too narrow. The air would have to travel up through the panel filter then through a very narrow space before heading down the intake piping.

With this design the entire box is open and you no longer have a single panel filter but dual cones so a much larger surface area so it would reduce the stock air box restriction. Whether the pre-filter intake tract then becomes the bottleneck can only be seen with testing. I guess this could be simply done with the lid of this intake system either open or closed.

Well said. I'd also like to see some independent testing. Hopefully someone pulls the trigger and helps us out. Wonder if they'd give a discount for that or somethingClick here to enlarge

It looks great, if it performs as well as it looks, it's worth the money.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Fr3nch Click here to enlarge
    Well said. I'd also like to see some independent testing. Hopefully someone pulls the trigger and helps us out. Wonder if they'd give a discount for that or somethingClick here to enlarge

It looks great, if it performs as well as it looks, it's worth the money.
    It does look pretty sex. Though I can't say that I think it would perform any better than most of the other decent designed intake systems out there like simple DCIs, Mr5, AFE, etc. to make it worth the $$$ you're putting into it. Most likely it'll perform just the same and what you're paying for is just some engine bay bling. Which isn't a bad thing mind you. Just know what you're buying.
    Stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

There's someone on the N5X Enthusiast Facebook page who got those recently.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Fishayyy Click here to enlarge
    There's someone on the N5X Enthusiast Facebook page who got those recently.
    Didn't know that page existed. I'll have to find it and join it. I always enjoying meeting people who share the same love for these engines.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I still haven't figured out why people ditch the stock setup and go with dual cones. Sure, you get more filter surface area but you're also now sucking in ridiculously hot air. I haven't seen a single piece of data (not saying it doesn't exist...I just haven't seen it) suggesting dual cone setup actually nets better results than a drop in k&n in the stock box. better flow is key but i'd rather see the m3 style intake setup than a dual cone/exposed intake setup.

I just realized this is a really negative post lol...I'm not trying to poopoo all over your idea! It does look awesome. Just...the engineer in me thinks "why?" hahaha
    COME AT ME BRO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mekong84 Click here to enlarge
    I still haven't figured out why people ditch the stock setup and go with dual cones. Sure, you get more filter surface area but you're also now sucking in ridiculously hot air. I haven't seen a single piece of data (not saying it doesn't exist...I just haven't seen it) suggesting dual cone setup actually nets better results than a drop in k&n in the stock box. better flow is key but i'd rather see the m3 style intake setup than a dual cone/exposed intake setup.

I just realized this is a really negative post lol...I'm not trying to poopoo all over your idea! It does look awesome. Just...the engineer in me thinks "why?" hahaha
    If the box is completely sealed off from the engine bay I feel like the CF box should do a good job of insulating it and keeping the extreme temperatures out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Fr3nch Click here to enlarge
    Didn't know that page existed. I'll have to find it and join it. I always enjoying meeting people who share the same love for these engines.
    It's a pretty cool group. Lots of people from these forums too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23993
    H O O N

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm thinking about just going to the dual cone setup myself. Right now I'm running a Mr.5 style intake that I put together but I'm not so happy with it. For one, I can't see the filter down at the bottom to see if it needs maintenance and then also I'm not happy with the way the tube mates with the flange at the side of the airbox because I used a spiral type tube and couldn't get a good seal....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    That thread is hilarious. Ever notice how all the naysayers always "feel" a loss in power due to their perceived increase in IATs? They never ever actually have dyno proof of a loss in power and when a dyno is provided showing a gain in power with a DCI setup, they claim it's a lie or don't believe it. Seriously, how can people be so skilled at ignoring fact and making up their own reality is astonishing.
    Prototype 2007 Monaco E83 'X3M' | N54 Swap | Dual Cone Intake | VRSF CP & DPs | CXR Intercooler | ER Dual Oil Coolers | Dual 2.5" w/X-Pipe | M3 Rear Exhaust | 20" BC Forged HB05 | Michelin PSS 265 & 305 | F10 M5 & F80 M3 Brakes | KW Variant 2 | H&R Swaybars | TMS Z4M Camber Arms | Z4 Finned Diff | BMW Perf. Grills w/Tri-Color | Custom M Aerodynamics | CF Trim | M Perf. Carbon Shift & Handbrake Knobs | BMW Perf. SS Pedals | M3 Dead Pedal | V1 Hardwired | Int LEDs | Umnitza Orion v4 AE & More

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The fact that the air is being sucked in so fast and the fact that radiation is the slowest form of heat transfer makes this a mute point. DCI work because it improves the hydrodynamic efficiency of the engine intake path. This kit with VTT inlet would be a great alt to TFT inlet kit. My only concern would be for those trying to run PI. I heard that there might be fitment issues with the PI kit and the stock air box.
    Click here to enlarge

Left hand on the steering wheel right hand on that RTD Shifter
    -2Chainz

07 6spd TI ag E92

Mods
    Boostbox, e85, RTD shifter, and a 6766
    #BuiltByHaborFreight

Instagram Oss_Cah5

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The best results I've seen were from BuraQ

"Ok everyone here are the results and will post PDF and videos later. This weather kicked my ass.

Stock with K&N Drop in Filter originally yielded 371 whp and 412 wtq ; starting temps 86 F/ 82 H

aFe Stage 2 SI (Custom Sealed) yielded 380 whp and 424 wtq ; starting temps 87 F/ 88 H

aFe Stage2 SI Elite (Custom Sealed) yielded 384 whp and 429 wtq; starting temps 93 F/ 93 H

The aFe Stage 2 SI Elite produced 13 whp and 17 wtq in 93F over the Stock with K&N Drop in Filter

The AFR sensor fell out on the final run so your not going to see it on the dyno, please excuse, the damn place was hot man lol

On stock DPs Click here to enlarge"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The best results I've seen were from BuraQ

"Ok everyone here are the results and will post PDF and videos later. This weather kicked my ass.

Stock with K&N Drop in Filter originally yielded 371 whp and 412 wtq ; starting temps 86 F/ 82 H

aFe Stage 2 SI (Custom Sealed) yielded 380 whp and 424 wtq ; starting temps 87 F/ 88 H

aFe Stage2 SI Elite (Custom Sealed) yielded 384 whp and 429 wtq; starting temps 93 F/ 93 H

The aFe Stage 2 SI Elite produced 13 whp and 17 wtq in 93F over the Stock with K&N Drop in Filter

The AFR sensor fell out on the final run so your not going to see it on the dyno, please excuse, the damn place was hot man lol

On stock DPs http://www.e90post.com/forums/images...es/biggrin.gif"
    I personally wouldn't put much trust in those numbers. Honestly anyone on stock turbos doesn't need much more flow then a clean drop in. If you want to reduce compressor inlet dp to minimum you can run cones but you will offset the efficiency gain with slightly warmer air. For hybrids If you want more air run upgraded inlets and any inlet filter combination with more than 215sq. inches of area at sea level and 285 at 10K feet. Stock is 154 FYI

Here is the formula I've found somewhere before.

Sq. Inches of filter required = (Max Boost PSI/Atmos. PSI @ Alt.) + 1 * c.i.d * Max RPM / 20839.
    So lets say (35/14.7)+1*183*7200/20839= 214

Any stock frame option should be fine with cone filters but according to our calculations you want 2 cone filters 6" in diameter and 6" long or a flat filter 14x16. Packaging constraints limit this a bit. People should also remember having area after the filter allows lower airspeed across the filter element which results in less dp. Ideally you want velocity in the intake tubes and low velocity across the filter. This is hard to do in modern engine bays though. But this was why the Chevy filters looked the way they did for years. Turbo motors require a lot more area then those NA V8s though so it makes things harder.
    07 335XI(A008006) 6AT ~105K miles JB4 G5 ISO VSRF DP's
    09 135I(VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car.
    1) Install Modified Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) Moton 4 suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage possible rear diff upgrade 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system 7) Sequential maybe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ingeniator Click here to enlarge
    I personally wouldn't put much trust in those numbers.
    Because it's BuraQ? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

prob because it works IRL Click here to enlarge

hot air is a problem while the car isnt moving, once moving dual cones rules (especially with new inlets), thousands of logs to support this...
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Because it's BuraQ? Click here to enlarge
    Yeah questionable tuning. Unless your running more than 21psi of boost the 154sq inches of area on a K&N or AFE drop in should be adequate.

(21/14.7)+1*183*7200/20839= 154
    07 335XI(A008006) 6AT ~105K miles JB4 G5 ISO VSRF DP's
    09 135I(VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car.
    1) Install Modified Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) Moton 4 suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage possible rear diff upgrade 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system 7) Sequential maybe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All I know is that any noticeable performance gains people might see from any form of upgraded intake almost never matches the amount of money you would have to spend on them. $800 for an aFe intake that you'll see maybe +10-13 hp? I'd rather buy VTT inlets at that point and pocket my savings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast