Close

    • Lamborghini reclaims the Nurburgring lap crown with the Aventador SVJ - 6:44.97

      Lamborghini strikes back. As you remember, Porsche took the Nurburgring title by besting the Huracan Performante with their 991.2 GT2 RS runnin a blistering 6:47.3 laptime. In comes Lamborghini with the Aventador SVJ setting a new record with a 6:44.97 time.


      Absolutely incredible considering the Aventador is heavier than the GT2 RS and has a naturally aspirated motor. A hell of a naturally aspirated motor with the 6.5 liter V12 kicking out 770 ponies.

      The power to weight ratio is said to be 1.95 kg per horse meaning the Aventador SVJ weighs 3309 pounds which is extremely hard to believe. It would explain the mind numbing performance though.

      Lamborghini ALA (active aerodynamics) system plays a huge role as well.

      We do not yet have official confirmation of the time or a video but of course will post the proof as soon as the internet gets it.




      This article was originally published in forum thread: Fastest production "Ring" time for the Lamborghini Aventador SVJ started by DavidV View original post
      Comments 28 Comments
      1. SpeedLimit?'s Avatar
        SpeedLimit? -
        How can it count as a production car record when it has a cage which doesn't come with the car? That goes for all cars, not just Lamborghini.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
        How can it count as a production car record when it has a cage which doesn't come with the car? That goes for all cars, not just Lamborghini.
        Safety reasons. It's still a production car.
      1. BLKROKT's Avatar
        BLKROKT -
        The addition of a non-OE cage would make more of a difference in car handling/stiffness than the additional weight. Invalid result.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge
        The addition of a non-OE cage would make more of a difference in car handling/stiffness than the additional weight. Invalid result.
        Hardly invalid. Everyone runs a cage.
      1. SpeedLimit?'s Avatar
        SpeedLimit? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Hardly invalid. Everyone runs a cage.
        Manufacturers with professional drivers with a full support team are held to high safety standards than any punter with enough euros to purchase a lap pass? I remember watching BTG video of a guy pushing an M2 to a 7:22 laptime with casual attire, no gloves and no helmet. I'm pretty sure safety is used as an excuse to install a performance enhancing feature on their production vehicles.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
        Manufacturers with professional drivers with a full support team are held to high safety standards than any punter with enough euros to purchase a lap pass? I remember watching BTG video of a guy pushing an M2 to a 7:22 laptime with casual attire, no gloves and no helmet. I'm pretty sure safety is used as an excuse to install a performance enhancing feature on their production vehicles.
        Some guy in his own M2 doesn't pose the liability to a major corporation as a factory test driver going for the maximum achievable speed.

        If a cage makes things safer I'm sure the execs will say to run the cage.

        If you guys think a cage is what makes this car run the time it does you're dreaming.
      1. BLKROKT's Avatar
        BLKROKT -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Some guy in his own M2 doesn't pose the liability to a major corporation as a factory test driver going for the maximum achievable speed.

        If a cage makes things safer I'm sure the execs will say to run the cage.

        If you guys think a cage is what makes this car run the time it does you're dreaming.
        Didn’t say that. You have a consistently bad habit of taking someone’s opinion that’s different than yours and twisting it. It’s a fast car. The cage MAKES it faster. There is ZERO doubt about that. If you think otherwise then a) you’re just categorically wrong, and b) you don’t understand cars and should read a book or something.

        Since there are are no set rules around this, it’s tough to say where this gets slotted in. It’s not an OE production car. A cage is not the same as a helmet or harness. It fundamentally changes the dynamics of the car because it’s welded/bolted in place and makes the car much stiffer. It’s also not the same as using performance tires or brake pads that can simply handle the track, forces and conditions. Those can be swapped out in minutes. A cage is an integral part of the car, that didn’t come with the car.

        Why not just start putting bigger wings on and saying that it’s for safety - more downforce makes the car safer. Manufacturers can then start gluing on all sorts of non-OE temporary aero in the name of “safety”. Your argument is wholly invalid.

        The addition of a cage is clearly not in the spirit of the “production car” record.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge
        Didn’t say that. You have a consistently bad habit of taking someone’s opinion that’s different than yours and twisting it. It’s a fast car. The cage MAKES it faster. There is ZERO doubt about that. If you think otherwise then a) you’re just categorically wrong, and b) you don’t understand cars and should read a book or something.
        I think I have a habit of pointing out absurdity.

        The cage makes it stiffer, and? You would prefer to run without the cage for less safety? The GT2 RS had a cage when it ran didn't it? Nobody seemed to complain. Why is it an issue now?
      1. BLKROKT's Avatar
        BLKROKT -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I think I have a habit of pointing out absurdity.

        The cage makes it stiffer, and? You would prefer to run without the cage for less safety? The GT2 RS had a cage when it ran didn't it? Nobody seemed to complain. Why is it an issue now?
        Does the GT2 RS come with a cage in a consumer model?

        Here’s a hint. The answer is yes. The Weissach production model that set the record comes with one standard.

        Its a PRODUCTION CAR record. Not a “Modified Production Car” record. If you want to modify the car and feel safer having a cage, that’s fine. I’d want one. But it’s not appropriate for an off-the-showroom-floor production car record, which is the spirit of this record.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge
        Does the GT2 RS come with a cage in a consumer model?
        Yes. But does that change the principle we are arguing?

        Wouldn't apples to apples be cage vs. cage?
      1. BLKROKT's Avatar
        BLKROKT -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Yes. But does that change the principle we are arguing?

        Wouldn't apples to apples be cage vs. cage?
        Yes, it absolutely does. See above.

        No, it’s not. Does the Lambo come with one? No? Then don’t gun for the production car record with one. If you put a cage on a lot of cars they’re going to go materially faster than the times that currently stand. It’s not like a roll cage is some new technology. They don’t because that’s not what the production car record is about.

        Boy you’re dense.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge
        Yes, it absolutely does. See above.

        No, it’s not. Does the Lambo come with one? No? Then don’t gun for the production car record with one. If you put a cage on a lot of cars they’re going to go materially faster than the times that currently stand. It’s not like a roll cage is some new technology. They don’t because that’s not what the production car record is about.

        Boy you’re dense.
        So you're literally stating the GT2 RS with its cage has the production car record because Lamborghini with a cage in their car went faster?

        So the only outlier is a factory option? So Lamborghini goes and adds an option tonight and they have the record back?

        Are you sure it's me who is dense?
      1. BLKROKT's Avatar
        BLKROKT -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        So you're literally stating the GT2 RS with its cage has the production car record because Lamborghini with a cage in their car went faster?

        So the only outlier is a factory option? So Lamborghini goes and adds an option tonight and they have the record back?

        Are you sure it's me who is dense?
        A lot of cars would go faster than both with the addition of non-factory options.

        Again, cages, underbody chassis bars, aero could all be said to make the car “safer”. You have to draw a line in the sand, and every single manufacturer before this would-be record holder all abided by the same set of rules. Every single one of them. If a consumer can get it from the factory, then it’s good to go. Anything else is prohibited.
      1. BLKROKT's Avatar
        BLKROKT -
        Here’s an interesting article. There’s a little nugget in there that says that Porsche has always used roll cages on their record runs. But they were bolt-in cages (which provide substantially less structural/rigidity benefit than a welded in) if not offered as a factory option.

        I guess it depends on the type of cage used here. But since there’s no independent third-party oversight or strict rules in place here, it’s more about the spirit and public perception than anything else. I’d still stand by that the addition of non-factory options is against the spirit, and many many car lap times have been disqualified for less than a cage.

        https://www.caranddriver.com/news/fa...ap-time-claims
      1. SpeedLimit?'s Avatar
        SpeedLimit? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge
        Here’s an interesting article. There’s a little nugget in there that says that Porsche has always used roll cages on their record runs. But they were bolt-in cages (which provide substantially less structural/rigidity benefit than a welded in) if not offered as a factory option.

        I guess it depends on the type of cage used here. But since there’s no independent third-party oversight or strict rules in place here, it’s more about the spirit and public perception than anything else. I’d still stand by that the addition of non-factory options is against the spirit, and many many car lap times have been disqualified for less than a cage.

        https://www.caranddriver.com/news/fa...ap-time-claims

        Agreed. I'll stand by my opinion that safety is more of an excuse than a reason for these cages. The increase in rigidity on a bumpy track like the ring is a substantial performance gain as it allows that much more control over your suspension set-up by removing the variable chassis stiffness.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge
        A lot of cars would go faster than both with the addition of non-factory options.

        Again, cages, underbody chassis bars, aero could all be said to make the car “safer”. You have to draw a line in the sand, and every single manufacturer before this would-be record holder all abided by the same set of rules. Every single one of them. If a consumer can get it from the factory, then it’s good to go. Anything else is prohibited.
        Your original statement is that a cage is not in the spirit of a production car record yet the GT2 RS you do not have trouble with because it is a factory option. Yet it is still not in the spirit?

        There is no Nurburgring regulation on this but I can tell you every car we are seeing go for these records has a cage. Even the Civic Type R going for a much slower record had a cage.

        If you want manufacturers to not run cages go ahead and tell them that but as far as I'm concerned this is the production car record.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
        Agreed. I'll stand by my opinion that safety is more of an excuse than a reason for these cages. The increase in rigidity on a bumpy track like the ring is a substantial performance gain as it allows that much more control over your suspension set-up by removing the variable chassis stiffness.
        Conjecture.

        Don't they have to get insurance for these runs? How do we know if cages aren't required?
      1. BLKROKT's Avatar
        BLKROKT -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Your original statement is that a cage is not in the spirit of a production car record yet the GT2 RS you do not have trouble with because it is a factory option. Yet it is still not in the spirit?

        There is no Nurburgring regulation on this but I can tell you every car we are seeing go for these records has a cage. Even the Civic Type R going for a much slower record had a cage.

        If you want manufacturers to not run cages go ahead and tell them that but as far as I'm concerned this is the production car record.
        There you go again, twisting my statement into something I didn’t say.

        An AFTERMARKET cage is a much different thing than a car born that way from the FACTORY.

        Thats the point, and my posts above show absolute consistency. If your car needs a cage to go that fast around the Ring, build it with one from the factory. Otherwise it’s not part of the production car and should therefore be eliminated from consideration.

        How many times do i do I have to say the same thing different ways? Would another language help?
      1. BLKROKT's Avatar
        BLKROKT -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Conjecture.

        Don't they have to get insurance for these runs? How do we know if cages aren't required?
        Because the vast majority of prior attempts were in cars with no cages. Like 99% of them. Because most cars don’t come from the factory with cages.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge
        There you go again, twisting my statement into something I didn’t say.
        Um:

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge
        The addition of a cage is clearly not in the spirit of the “production car” record.


        Right there.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge
        Thats the point, and my posts above show absolute consistency. If your car needs a cage to go that fast around the Ring, build it with one from the factory. Otherwise it’s not part of the production car and should therefore be eliminated from consideration.

        How many times do i do I have to say the same thing different ways? Would another language help?
        I think you should be consistent. If we honor the GT2 RS record just because it is an option I see no reason the SVJ record should not be honored as they are both in cages.

        So what's the problem? Is there an advantage for one and not the other?

        I doubt Lamborghini feels a cage is needed as much as the people who sign off the exercise likely demanding one. When is the last time you saw a 'Ring record without a cage?