Close

    • PorscheBoost.com Project 991.2 sets fastest 9A2B6 3.0 platform 1/4 mile record

      A record is a record although this is not one to be proud of. Technically, yes, it is the fastest pass to date but unfortunately conditions at Fontana were not good to say the least. Temps were over 90 degrees with density altitude topping 3500+ feet at times.


      Still, on the very first try the PorscheBoost.com Project 991.2 set the fastest pass to date for any 991.2 3.0 and did it at full weight with a full tank of 91 octane pump fuel:


      I only managed to get one clean run due to a wreck which delayed everyone and left only one lane open. Debris from this caused me to spin on a subsequent run and that was that. The track closed.

      So, only one clean run and you will notice by the 60 foot that while a 1.8X is decent it certainly is not good for a 911 on Mickey Thompson drag radials. Getting heat into the tires proved problematic due to a poor burnout box but also operator error.

      There are two levels to the Porsche traction control and I learned this a little too late. You have to press and hold the traction control button to completely disable it to do a burnout. You live, you learn.

      Many would not post this but I will show the complete tuning process from start to finish. I fully intend to hit the track again with the goal of breaking into the 10's in the California summer heat which is a much stronger test for a turbo upgrade than running it in negative DA in the winter. I'm going to keep pushing it showing how well it performs even in the heat and how durable the BoostAddict Stage I turbo upgrade is.

      For context, this is a GIAC tuned 991.2 C4 at the same strip although in cooler weather:


      A difference of roughly six miles per hour so clearly there is a big power disparity. Furthermore, the results show a Carrera is easily capable of topping a GTS with a turbo upgrade so it reinforces a base car is the way to go if you intend to tune.

      Keep in mind the car is still on low boost at ~22.5 psi and tuned for 91 octane. It will go back to Gintani for race gas tuning at 30+ psi after the BimmerBoost.com Project M3 comes back home. An intercooler upgrade is also desperately needed to deal with the heat.

      Time for some tweaks and to hit the strip again. Expect a 10!

      This article was originally published in forum thread: PorscheBoost.com Project 991.2 sets fastest 9A2B6 3.0 platform 1/4 mile record started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 25 Comments
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Thanks for sharing. Can you post some pics of the car with the drag setup? Looks mean.

        Have you driven on anything besides the 91 tune yet? Any guesses as to how much is in it with real fuel?
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        Thanks for sharing. Can you post some pics of the car with the drag setup? Looks mean.

        Have you driven on anything besides the 91 tune yet? Any guesses as to how much is in it with real fuel?
        I'm surprised how good it looks. I'm considering going to 19's now. Something about that meaty rear tire looks awesome. I'll get some pics.

        No, just 91. I can tell you my 60-130's were a half second off from when I ran in 60 degree weather so that gives you an idea as to how it was.

        That said, I'd estimate on E85 and 30 psi it will do mid 130's.

        It has a 10 in it as it sits if I can just get the intercoolers installed and a proper 1.6x launch. I'll try again and weather be damned.
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        I'm surprised how good it looks. I'm considering going to 19's now. Something about that meaty rear tire looks awesome. I'll get some pics.
        Agreed. Some of the best looking 997s (to me, at least) I've seen actually stepped down to an 18" wheel with a fatter sidewall. Looked appropriately sized and more aggressive than the typical 19 or 20 you see most people on.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        Agreed. Some of the best looking 997s (to me, at least) I've seen actually stepped down to an 18" wheel with a fatter sidewall. Looked appropriately sized and more aggressive than the typical 19 or 20 you see most people on.
        It's a hell of a lot of fun to drive on too. Had two Teslas wonder wtf happened off the line. Dry hooks no prob. Probably can add another 150 whp without issue.
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        1.818 is hardly dry hooking.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F16HTON Click here to enlarge
        1.818 is hardly dry hooking.
        Was referring to driving on the street.
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        Perhaps the taller gearing of the base Carrera contributes to the poor front half of track.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F16HTON Click here to enlarge
        Perhaps the taller gearing of the base Carrera contributes to the poor front half of track.
        There is conflicting info on this. Johnny thinks the gearing is the same. If you watch your speedo you will notice you hit the same speed in each gear as the Carrera S.

        The relatively poor performance was weather and traction. I'll try again. Wish the numbers better conveyed how fast the car is.
      1. quattr0's Avatar
        quattr0 -
        This without upgrade IC right? Looking for better result with FBO and perhaps higher octane/boost! Thanks for sharing.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
        This without upgrade IC right? Looking for better result with FBO and perhaps higher octane/boost! Thanks for sharing.
        Yep, factory IC.

        I'm looking for 10's with just some minor changes, same 91 octane tune.

        With the IC's and inlets I plan to run race gas and high boost.
      1. pr3ci5n335i's Avatar
        pr3ci5n335i -
        How come no E85 and E85 tune yet?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pr3ci5n335i Click here to enlarge
        How come no E85 and E85 tune yet?
        Because it's early in the tuning process. Barely anyone can tune these properly and only now are we getting handhelds to switch maps.
      1. Mac10's Avatar
        Mac10 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Because it's early in the tuning process. Barely anyone can tune these properly and only now are we getting handhelds to switch maps.
        Seriously nice work especially in that heat! I am a little confused though.. "991.2 Sets Fastest 9A2B6 3.0 Platform 1/4 mile record" ...is a little misleading?? Not to take anything away from anyone but my GIAC tuned C4S 991.2 running on 93 octane with 22" wheels ran a 11.1. I do understand my 60 ft was impressive with all wheel drive compared with rear only. Respectfully, am I missing something?
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mac10 Click here to enlarge
        Seriously nice work especially in that heat! I am a little confused though.. "991.2 Sets Fastest 9A2B6 3.0 Platform 1/4 mile record" ...is a little misleading?? Not to take anything away from anyone but my GIAC tuned C4S 991.2 running on 93 octane with 22" wheels ran a 11.1. I do understand my 60 ft was impressive with all wheel drive compared with rear only. Respectfully, am I missing something?
        Technicality of fastest v quickest is my guess.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mac10 Click here to enlarge
        Seriously nice work especially in that heat! I am a little confused though.. "991.2 Sets Fastest 9A2B6 3.0 Platform 1/4 mile record" ...is a little misleading?? Not to take anything away from anyone but my GIAC tuned C4S 991.2 running on 93 octane with 22" wheels ran a 11.1. I do understand my 60 ft was impressive with all wheel drive compared with rear only. Respectfully, am I missing something?
        Thank you.

        Trap speed is called fastest while elapsed time refers to quickest.
      1. Mac10's Avatar
        Mac10 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        Thank you.

        Trap speed is called fastest while elapsed time refers to quickest.
        Completely makes sense.

        BTW, I am unfortunately selling my .2 C4S which btw has been the most cherished cars I have ever owned. My number was called for a .2 2019 GT3 RS and I just can't turn it down. The RS will undoubtably be a beast but I will miss the 4S big time! Love the 3.0 turbo engines!!!!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mac10 Click here to enlarge
        Completely makes sense.

        BTW, I am unfortunately selling my .2 C4S which btw has been the most cherished cars I have ever owned. My number was called for a .2 2019 GT3 RS and I just can't turn it down. The RS will undoubtably be a beast but I will miss the 4S big time! Love the 3.0 turbo engines!!!!
        Nobody would expect you to turn down a GT3 RS. Congratulations!

        You won't lose any money on the GT3 RS either.

        Man I wish you were closer so I could check it out.

        Please post pics when you get it!
      1. Mac10's Avatar
        Mac10 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Nobody would expect you to turn down a GT3 RS. Congratulations!

        You won't lose any money on the GT3 RS either.

        Man I wish you were closer so I could check it out.

        Please post pics when you get it!
        Thank you, much appreciated.

        I honestly really did not expect to be moving to an RS, it just sort of fell into place after an small inquiry. The only thing I am not looking forward to is the attention this car will get, especially in Lizard Green. Which is one of the many reasons I love the Carrera models, they are just beautiful cars with great performance and fly just below the radar.

        According to the build, it's due here November 26th- a terrible time of year here in the Northeast. Means I'll be staring at it until spring.. I'll will definitely post some pictures here with you guys.

        Here's a question: If I run the new 520hp GT3 RS at the same drag-strip, will it run faster or slower than my tuned 4S of 11.1@123 ??
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mac10 Click here to enlarge
        Thank you, much appreciated.

        I honestly really did not expect to be moving to an RS, it just sort of fell into place after an small inquiry. The only thing I am not looking forward to is the attention this car will get, especially in Lizard Green. Which is one of the many reasons I love the Carrera models, they are just beautiful cars with great performance and fly just below the radar.

        According to the build, it's due here November 26th- a terrible time of year here in the Northeast. Means I'll be staring at it until spring.. I'll will definitely post some pictures here with you guys.

        Here's a question: If I run the new 520hp GT3 RS at the same drag-strip, will it run faster or slower than my tuned 4S of 11.1@123 ??
        Lizard green is the perfect color Click here to enlarge it isn't a daily, right?

        I would expect the GT3 RS to struggle to match the 11.1 without perfect traction but top the trap speed by a few mph. Essentially, going to show what a performance value the C4S with a tune is.

        Ultimately, you are going to see 991:2 3.0 models blowing the GT3 RS away in straight line speed when it comes to tuning. The GT3 RS just isn't about that but is still pretty damn fast.
      1. Mac10's Avatar
        Mac10 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        Lizard green is the perfect color Click here to enlarge it isn't a daily, right?

        I would expect the GT3 RS to struggle to match the 11.1 without perfect traction but top the trap speed by a few mph. Essentially, going to show what a performance value the C4S with a tune is.

        Ultimately, you are going to see 991:2 3.0 models blowing the GT3 RS away in straight line speed when it comes to tuning. The GT3 RS just isn't about that but is still pretty damn fast.
        Definitely not a daily but I will be driving the car as often as I can besides work commute. I almost chickened out at the last minute and went with black, white, or silver as they all would look good but they just don't do the car justice as much as the LG in my opinion.

        I agree, I think it will be tough to match the 4S ET without perfect traction. You're right on, although these cars are pretty fast, their intended use is certainly not in the 'roll-on' or drag strip categories. Could be the last gen for Porsche's beloved N/A motor??!