Close

    • The real German 2JZ - Stock internal turbocharged E46 M3 S54 with 900 whp lasts 135k miles

      Will the real German 2JZ please stand up? Reading the BimmerBoost forums you will notice N54 owners joke their cars have the German version of the vaunted Toyota Supra MKIV 2JZ-GTE turbo inline-6.


      The truth is if such a motor exists it is the BMW E43 M3 S54. For one, it has an iron block like the 2JZ-GTE and port injection. Secondly, it's a beast.

      Maximum PSI topped 900 horsepower to the wheels a couple years back with a stock internal version. Rather incredible when you factor in the factory 11.5:1 compression ratio and that it was never built for boost.

      The rods finally bent at 135k miles with a Precision 6870 turbocharger. The motor had roughly 55k boosted miles.

      The motor will get aftermarket pieces now and the sky is the limit after those are installed.




      This article was originally published in forum thread: The real German 2JZ - Stock internal turbocharged E46 M3 S54 with 900 whp lasts 135k miles started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 18 Comments
      1. DANKimball's Avatar
        DANKimball -
        The truth is if such a motor exists it is the BMW E63 M3 S54. For one, it has an iron block like the 2JZ-GTZ and port injection. Secondly, it's a beast.
        E46!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DANKimball Click here to enlarge
        E46!
        Thanks for pointing out the typo.
      1. playskool1's Avatar
        playskool1 -
        I stand correct with this statement. I'm at 230k miles here on the original stock engine pushing 15psi w/ Precision 6266. Engine still strong AF. Next month should be when the built low-comp 6870 goes in. *crossfingers*
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by playskool1 Click here to enlarge
        I stand correct with this statement. I'm at 230k miles here on the original stock engine pushing 15psi w/ Precision 6266. Engine still strong AF. Next month should be when the built low-comp 6870 goes in. *crossfingers*
        So your're in the high 700's or so rwhp wise?
      1. subaru335i's Avatar
        subaru335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by playskool1 Click here to enlarge
        I stand correct with this statement. I'm at 230k miles here on the original stock engine pushing 15psi w/ Precision 6266. Engine still strong AF. Next month should be when the built low-comp 6870 goes in. *crossfingers*
        Damn how many times were the rod bearings replaced in that time?
      1. sahyoun's Avatar
        sahyoun -
        Somethings not adding up. At the time of that 902whp run, it was at 130k miles based off the comments, so it only made it 5k at 902whp? Kind of a misleading title with "S54 with 900 whp lasts 135k miles".
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sahyoun Click here to enlarge
        Somethings not adding up. At the time of that 902whp run, it was at 130k miles based off the comments, so it only made it 5k at 902whp? Kind of a misleading title with "S54 with 900 whp lasts 135k miles".
        Going by what Maximum PSI said:

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Maximum PSI
        After many years of abuse, we pushed my e46 to the edge last season. It has about 135k miles, with 55k hard turbocharged miles on it. We had some pretty bad blowby at the last event we ran. After tearing down the motor I am really impressed at how good the pistons look, and also impressed at how equally bent the rods are, even as it still continued to make low 10 second passes! I guess when we cranked it up to the 900 range with the 6870 it didn't like it! Revision 2 coming soon.
        I think you're misunderstanding as they ran more than one turbo so it didn't last as long when the bigger Precision went on.
      1. playskool1's Avatar
        playskool1 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
        Damn how many times were the rod bearings replaced in that time?
        twice.

        once around 58k miles for the recall (01/01 build) and the other time at 200k miles.

        the recall bearings was showing minimal wear (no copper) while logging about 2k track day miles for the last 10 years I've owned it.

        it's been ESS VT475 supercharged 6.5 psi for 115k miles no rebuilds on the kit.

        and MaxPSI kit 15psi installed at 221k miles.

        S54 can take a hell of a beating. You can check out my Instagram stories on how my car sounds. @skweakykleen
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by playskool1 Click here to enlarge
        and MaxPSI kit 15psi installed at 221k miles.
        221k... wow.

        Are you sure your insta is correct there?
      1. playskool1's Avatar
        playskool1 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        221k... wow.

        Are you sure your insta is correct there?
        yes, it's skweakykleen. some reason when I added the @ symbol it only linked skweaky.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by playskool1 Click here to enlarge
        yes, it's skweakykleen. some reason when I added the @ symbol it only linked skweaky.
        Here:

      1. subaru335i's Avatar
        subaru335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by playskool1 Click here to enlarge
        twice.

        once around 58k miles for the recall (01/01 build) and the other time at 200k miles.

        the recall bearings was showing minimal wear (no copper) while logging about 2k track day miles for the last 10 years I've owned it.

        it's been ESS VT475 supercharged 6.5 psi for 115k miles no rebuilds on the kit.

        and MaxPSI kit 15psi installed at 221k miles.

        S54 can take a hell of a beating. You can check out my Instagram stories on how my car sounds. @skweakykleen
        Damn awesome. I want an E46 M3
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
        Damn awesome. I want an E46 M3
        Highly recommended. Still miss mine and it as more fun to drive than the E92 M3. More communicative for sure although far less capable and obviously slower.
      1. Mm3boost's Avatar
        Mm3boost -
        To double up on @playskool1. I'm also at 208k original power-train (DD, track, drag, etc.). It's made 662 rwhp on MS109 to date with a little more on the way on e85. Compression still between 1psi on each cylinder.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mm3boost Click here to enlarge
        To double up on @playskool1. I'm also at 208k original power-train (DD, track, drag, etc.). It's made 662 rwhp on MS109 to date with a little more on the way on e85. Compression still between 1psi on each cylinder.
        Incredible.

        Shouldn't you build it though at this point if going for more?
      1. 93siro's Avatar
        93siro -
        Some amazing numbers thrown around here... And i'm not talking about horsepower lol
      1. Mm3boost's Avatar
        Mm3boost -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Incredible.

        Shouldn't you build it though at this point if going for more?
        No doubt I should and soon will, playing with fire at the moment. Right now just seeing how far it will go before it gives up. So far I'm pretty amazed with the s54 considering the type of abuse I've been putting it through (HPDE's, 1/4 mile, Mexico, daily BS).
      1. subaru335i's Avatar
        subaru335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mm3boost Click here to enlarge
        No doubt I should and soon will, playing with fire at the moment. Right now just seeing how far it will go before it gives up. So far I'm pretty amazed with the s54 considering the type of abuse I've been putting it through (HPDE's, 1/4 mile, Mexico, daily BS).
        Iron block goes a looooong way. Aluminum blocks just flex so much under big boost no matter what you get poor ring seal which leads to blow by which leads to detonation and bad for pistons and bearings and everything.

        Iron block keeps everything in line, cylinders seal better, make more power, easier on bearings etc etc.