Close

    • Watch a heads/cam Gen V Viper punch above its weight vs. 1000+ hp competition

      The Gen V Viper is the car that enthusiasts everywhere should love and respect. Everyone complains these days cars are too heavy, poorly balanced, do not have manuals, and that they lack race bred naturally aspirated motors. The Viper is everything enthusiasts supposedly say they want.


      It's a spectacular vehicle that deserves more praise than it gets. This example in the video has a heads/cam upgrade and long tube headers. It is tuned on pump gas. Output should be somewhere in that 650 wheel horsepower range.

      In the first run it takes on a twin turbo Terminator Cobra. The Cobra is in the ~1000 whp range. The Viper gets a bit of an early start and just leaves the Cobra.

      They run again and the Viper opens up a nice lead before the Cobra shows it is making 1000 whp. It takes a couple gears but the Terminator eventually pulls past easily.

      A twin turbo Foxbody is up next and it's fast. It hangs in better off the start than the Cobra and pulls.

      Next up is a C6 ZR1 with bolt ons and nitrous. Holy crap is it fast. With the nitrous that is. Without it, the Viper pulls.

      The final challenger is a FBO heads/cam ZL1 on E85. The Viper is able to pull it up top.

      A well driven and strong Viper that certainly punches above its weight. Now imagine if it had some nitrous or boost thrown on top?


      This article was originally published in forum thread: Watch a heads/cam Gen V Viper punch above its weight vs. 1000+ hp competition started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 11 Comments
      1. LessIsMore's Avatar
        LessIsMore -
        Cool video, thanks for posting it sticky.

        I got curious and looked up what modded vipers make, and found this at the top of the search eesults lol. It seems like this Viper could easily have been making over 700 wheel horsepower. And it did not look to me like he was hanging very well with any of them except the ZR1 when itwas off nitrous. Click here to enlarge

        Bad ass Viper though, definitely the coolest car in that vid. Agree they dont get as much attention ... probably bc everyone else is jealous lol
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LessIsMore Click here to enlarge
        Cool video, thanks for posting it sticky.

        I got curious and looked up what modded vipers make, and found this at the top of the search eesults lol. It seems like this Viper could easily have been making over 700 wheel horsepower. And it did not look to me like he was hanging very well with any of them except the ZR1 when itwas off nitrous. Click here to enlarge

        Bad ass Viper though, definitely the coolest car in that vid. Agree they dont get as much attention ... probably bc everyone else is jealous lol
        Isn't my content great? That E85 Viper is a beast but it is making more power than this one.

        the car in the vid has a mild cam and is on pump gas. The Viper making 740 whp on E85 is tuned on a Motec which is a big part of what makes that possible.
      1. CobraMarty's Avatar
        CobraMarty -
        These motors rip!

        I have a Ilmor MV-10 725hp (Viper V10 based) engine in my boat.
        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CobraMarty Click here to enlarge
        I have a Ilmor MV-10 725hp (Viper V10 based) engine in my boat.
        More pics of that boat?
      1. BLKROKT's Avatar
        BLKROKT -
        +1 that boat looks badass
      1. CobraMarty's Avatar
        CobraMarty -
        OCKE MANNERFELT DESIGN
        B28 'Bat Boat'
        Built October 1994 in Sweden, Hull #5 at Batbygarrna Marine yard


        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        That's a really interesting boat.

        Doesn't look like it weighs much of anything either and with that V10... wow.

        Where do you use it?
      1. CobraMarty's Avatar
        CobraMarty -
        Northern Chesapeake Bay and Delaware River. 103mph top speed.

        Most interesting design, long, slender, 'pierces waves' and comes out the other side, 'flies' with the rear wings and lands gently. Banks in the turns and the inside 'wing' acts as an inside skating wheel.

        I like different, weird, esoteric designs and ideas. Definitely not the norm.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CobraMarty Click here to enlarge
        I like different, weird, esoteric designs and ideas. Definitely not the norm.
        Same.

        Awesome boat.

        I need to save up some money so I can get myself something nice for offshore use considering the ocean is so close.
      1. Markblackwell's Avatar
        Markblackwell -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LessIsMore Click here to enlarge
        Cool video, thanks for posting it sticky.

        I got curious and looked up what modded vipers make, and found this at the top of the search eesults lol. It seems like this Viper could easily have been making over 700 wheel horsepower. And it did not look to me like he was hanging very well with any of them except the ZR1 when itwas off nitrous. Click here to enlarge

        Bad ass Viper though, definitely the coolest car in that vid. Agree they dont get as much attention ... probably bc everyone else is jealous lol
        I was going to say the opposite that TT mustang took about 3 seconds to get going by then the race would have been over if he was racing someone with a little more power. Remember most of these guys either sand bag or completely over inflate there HP numbers. heads up race always seperate the performers from the posers
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Markblackwell Click here to enlarge
        I was going to say the opposite that TT mustang took about 3 seconds to get going by then the race would have been over if he was racing someone with a little more power. Remember most of these guys either sand bag or completely over inflate there HP numbers. heads up race always seperate the performers from the posers
        That's how I feel.

        The Viper just goes right then and there. The fact it could even put up a fight with much higher power cars is extremely impressive IMO.

        A 650 whp Viper can run with quite a few cars making more power if driven well. It only weighs 3200 pounds.