Close

    • Again: 2020 Shelby GT500 vs. Camaro ZL1 1LE vs. Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody

      These three are going to be compared often but it seems those doing the comparison are making sure to create some controversy by choosing the Camaro. Now, the Camaro ZL1 1LE is a fine automobile but the GT500 deserves the win and decisively so.


      Ford did not just re-use the parts they had laying around. Ford developed a new dual clutch transmission. Ford developed a new motor. The Predator V8 is an absolute monster.

      Yes, the Camaro has things going for it such as the lower price and the manual transmission option but there is no dual clutch option. The LT4 is outgunned. If Chevrolet wanted to make a splash the car would have the LT5 and a dual clutch and now we're talking a real GT500 competitor.

      What's that? What took so long to mention the Challenger Hellcat Redeye? We all know what it is. It is not pretending to be anything else. The Hellcat absolutely excels at what it was designed to do. The other two cars are far more well rounded and that is fine.

      Car and Driver chooses the Camaro out of the trio and again puts the emphasis on value. BoostAddict puts the emphasis on muscle and performance. Bragging about value to your car buddies is almost like bragging about miles per gallon. Which is not nearly as satisfying as smoking them.


      Highs: Best real-world performance, most confident track-day tool, value.
      Lows: The Camaro interior, head-splitting ride.
      Verdict: The best modern muscle car is the least powerful one that also looks like your future robotic insect overlord. What of it?


      Highs: An engine that just keeps on giving, snappy dual-clutch gearbox, a track-day joy.
      Lows: A fuel tank that just keeps running dry, numb steering, costly.
      Verdict: A GT500 to make you forget about all those old push-pig GT500s.


      Highs: Muscle-car retro done right, a usable rear seat and trunk, comfy ride, WHINE.
      Lows: Terrible seats, wobbly body, dead steering, more power than it's prepared to deal with, WHINE.
      Verdict: Plays to its own drummer, loudly.






      This article was originally published in forum thread: Again: 2020 Shelby GT500 vs. Camaro ZL1 1LE vs. Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 16 Comments
      1. bmwsport's Avatar
        bmwsport -
        Dragtimes just ran a GT500 in the qtr mile. Low 11's. DA wasn't perfect.

      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Dragtimes incessant Tesla humping is annoying
      1. blowns4's Avatar
        blowns4 -
        coming up next Taycan humping too!
      1. nbrigdan's Avatar
        nbrigdan -
        The features/amenities on the GT500 was really a 3 compared to the Camaro's 9? wtf? Someone must have hit the wrong key on their keyboard or something when doing the points.
      1. richpike's Avatar
        richpike -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
        The features/amenities on the GT500 was really a 3 compared to the Camaro's 9? wtf? Someone must have hit the wrong key on their keyboard or something when doing the points.
        Good catch. WTF indeed.

        -Rich
      1. nbrigdan's Avatar
        nbrigdan -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
        Good catch. WTF indeed.

        -Rich
        More evidence this is definitely a $#@! up:

        https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/fi...1562178164.pdf

        C&D test of 2019 SS 1LE vs 2019 PP2, score for the exact same category is 10 for the Camaro and 7 for the Mustang. A far cry from 9 to 3...

        Camaro in the test is a 2019 and is pretty much the same as a 1LE...
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Should i call them on it?
      1. bmwsport's Avatar
        bmwsport -
        Well the drag times owner does have a 9 second (stock) 720s, 2 Ford GTs, and the Tesla, in his garage collection. And if you check out his videos, racing 700-1000hp cars in his 720s is what he does most, it traps over 140mph. The Tesla just takes care of most of the muscle cars for fun.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmwsport Click here to enlarge
        Well the drag times owner does have a 9 second (stock) 720s, 2 Ford GTs, and the Tesla, in his garage collection. And if you check out his videos, racing 700-1000hp cars in his 720s is what he does most, it traps over 140mph. The Tesla just takes care of most of the muscle cars for fun.
        Don't be naive. There are things he has to make happen in those videos to get some of those cars...
      1. bmwsport's Avatar
        bmwsport -
        You have to be fairly privileged with Ford to get the GT, and yet he shows it getting beat all the time. He also shows the Tesla getting beat. The 720s gets beat by other tuned 720s McLarens, and barely by a 918. Car and Driver also tested the 720s trapping over 140mph. The car has phenomenal launches for a 2wd platform, and the car handles. It is Brooks favorite car. He doesnt review subjective car traits, he just drag races. He is one of the most legitimate drag and roll racing posters on the internet period. Always does multiple runs and camera angles. Uses Vbox and Dragy too. Nothing illegitimate about his testing.
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        I'm willing to bet Brooks is paid by Tesla as an influencer or is getting huge discounts on the cars...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmwsport Click here to enlarge
        You have to be fairly privileged with Ford to get the GT, and yet he shows it getting beat all the time. He also shows the Tesla getting beat. The 720s gets beat by other tuned 720s McLarens, and barely by a 918. Car and Driver also tested the 720s trapping over 140mph. The car has phenomenal launches for a 2wd platform, and the car handles. It is Brooks favorite car. He doesnt review subjective car traits, he just drag races. He is one of the most legitimate drag and roll racing posters on the internet period. Always does multiple runs and camera angles. Uses Vbox and Dragy too. Nothing illegitimate about his testing.
        He had to play up to Ford to get the GT obviously.

        Not claiming it is all illegitimate but he makes videos for clicks and makes mistakes: https://www.boostaddict.com/content....-mile-0-60-etc
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        I'm willing to bet Brooks is paid by Tesla as an influencer or is getting huge discounts on the cars...
        Exactly this.
      1. nbrigdan's Avatar
        nbrigdan -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        Should i call them on it?
        Of course, when you have you ever demonstrated restraint? Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
        Of course, when you have you ever demonstrated restraint? Click here to enlarge
        When my mom was holding my dad's belt...
      1. bmwsport's Avatar
        bmwsport -
        Here is a new video of his stock 720s vs a tuned GT500. Keep in mind he has a GT500 on order.