Close

    • Comparison: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE Automatic vs. 2020 Ford Mustang GT500 CFTP

      The ZL1 1LE Automatic is the Camaro that has to be compared to the new Mustang GT500 simply because it is the highest performance Camaro GM makes. The new GT500 breathes fire though and the LT4 V8 is simply outgunned here (why not an LT5 Camaro GM?).


      We will give the Camaro props for offering a manual. However, if the choice came down to manual and automatic options or a dual clutch, well, give me the dual clutch transmission.

      Car and Driver chooses the Camaro because of its value. If you want value do not equip the GT500 with the $18.5k Carbon Fiber Track Package. For that money you get carbon fiber wheels, a more aggressive body kit, rear seat delete, and better rubber. Do not fault Ford for giving you the option.

      If this is about performance, the GT500 simply wins. Although the ZL1 does impress with more grip on the skidpad. The ZL1 also weighs less although a 3886 pound curb weight is nothing to brag about.

      Sorry Car and Driver, you got this wrong. The GT500 is the hottest American muscle car on the market right now. The keyword being muscle.


      Specifications

      2019 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
      VEHICLE TYPE
      front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe
      PRICE AS TESTED
      $75,985 (base price: $72,195)
      ENGINE TYPE
      supercharged and intercooled pushrod 16-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection
      Displacement
      376 cu in, 6162 cc
      Power
      650 hp @ 6400 rpm
      Torque
      650 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm
      TRANSMISSION
      10-speed automatic
      CHASSIS
      Suspension (F/R): struts/multilink
      Brakes (F/R): 15.4-in vented disc/14.4-in vented disc
      Tires: Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar 3R, F: 305/30R-19 (98Y) TPC, R: 325/30R-19 (101Y) TPC
      DIMENSIONS
      Wheelbase: 110.7 in
      Length: 188.3 in
      Width: 74.7 in
      Height: 52.0 in
      Passenger volume: 83 cu ft
      Trunk volume: 9 cu ft
      Curb weight: 3886 lb
      C/D
      TEST RESULTS
      Rollout, 1 ft: 0.3 sec
      60 mph: 3.4 sec
      100 mph: 7.4 sec
      150 mph: 19.2 sec
      Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 3.7 sec
      Top gear, 30–50 mph: 1.8 sec
      Top gear, 50–70 mph: 2.1 sec
      ¼-mile: 11.5 sec @ 124 mph
      Top speed (mfr's claim): 190 mph
      Braking, 70–0 mph: 137 ft
      Braking, 100–0 mph: 268 ft
      Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.17 g
      C/D
      FUEL ECONOMY
      Observed: 14 mpg
      EPA FUEL ECONOMY
      Combined/city/highway: 16/13/21 mpg
      –
      2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500
      VEHICLE TYPE
      front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door coupe
      PRICE AS TESTED
      $93,870 (base price: $73,995)
      ENGINE TYPE
      supercharged and intercooled DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection
      Displacement
      315 cu in, 5163 cc
      Power
      760 hp @ 7500 rpm
      Torque
      625 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm
      TRANSMISSION
      7-speed dual-clutch automatic
      CHASSIS
      Suspension (F/R): struts/multilink
      Brakes (F/R): 16.5-in vented disc/14.5-in vented disc
      Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2, F: 305/30R-20 (103Y) FP, R: 315/30R-20 (104Y) FP
      DIMENSIONS
      Wheelbase: 107.0 in
      Length: 190.2 in
      Width: 76.6 in
      Height: 53.8 in
      Passenger volume: 55 cu ft
      Trunk volume: 14 cu ft
      Curb weight: 4059 lb
      C/D
      TEST RESULTS
      Rollout, 1 ft: 0.3 sec
      60 mph: 3.6 sec
      100 mph: 7.1 sec
      150 mph: 15.1 sec
      Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 4.1 sec
      Top gear, 30–50 mph: 1.9 sec
      Top gear, 50–70 mph: 2.1 sec
      ¼-mile: 11.4 sec @ 132 mph
      Top speed (mfr's claim): 180 mph
      Braking, 70–0 mph: 142 ft
      Braking, 100–0 mph: 279 ft
      Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.13 g
      C/D
      FUEL ECONOMY
      Observed: 13 mpg
      EPA FUEL ECONOMY
      Combined/city/highway: 14/12/18 mpg

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Comparison: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE Automatic vs. 2020 Ford Mustang GT500 CFTP started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 16 Comments
      1. richpike's Avatar
        richpike -
        That almost seems like they’re on Chevy’s payroll. They probably gave the Camaro more points for better gas mileage.

        Look at that 0-150 time! Seems like more than 110HP difference.

        -Rich
      1. Batman's Avatar
        Batman -
        This article on C & D reminded me of a 12 round heavy weight boxing championship fight between two elite boxers. Prior to the comparison test, everyone knew the Mustang made substantially more power than the Camaro. No surprises there. What is surprising to me is that the Camaro won some rounds in this contest! Ford had 7 years to make this car and make sure that it beat the Camaro in every single performance metric. I mean, a supercharged 5.2L V8 of DOHC 32 valve goodness, DCT, carbon fiber wheels, rear seat delete, etc. This car should own that Camaro in every single way. Period! The Camaro should not be winning any performance metric against this Mustang. As much as I like the Mustang, Ford messed up on the car - kind of the way they messed up in their Ford GT coming out with a V6 engine!
        If I had to buy one of these two cars today, based on the information I’m seeing in this comparison test, I would get the Camaro. I’d save almost $20,000 on the price of the car that I can use on mods, and I’d buy mine with a manual transmission. Chevrolet needs to man up, grow a pair, and put that C7 ZR1 LT5 motor, transmission, and drivetrain into the Camaro.
        On a separate note, these cars need to start being offered with all-wheel drive. The truth of the matter is either one of these cars would have a hard time keeping up with a Nissan GTR, BMW M5, Benz E63 on the street. Unless you live by the highway doing highway pulls all day long from 60mph+, you have no chance against the awd high powered cars on the street.
      1. Batman's Avatar
        Batman -
        It was very close but in my opinion, the Camaro won this comparison test when you factor in the performance metrics it won, and what you get for the price of the car.
      1. richpike's Avatar
        richpike -
        The camaro won because it’s a parts-bin special that allows them to price it $20k below the Mustang. Parts bin engine, transmission, etc. Not saying they aren’t good parts (on an excellent chassis), but it’s a bean counter’s car first. The Mustang has a unique engine (yes, leveraged from the voodoo, itself a unique engine), unique transmission (on par with Porsche’s), carbon fiber wheels, etc. It’s much more special. For me, the $20k premium is a no brainer. C&D is just trying to remain relevant with a “shocking” winner.

        -Rich
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Batman Click here to enlarge
        It was very close but in my opinion, the Camaro won this comparison test when you factor in the performance metrics it won, and what you get for the price of the car.
        They didn't have to option the GT500 for an extra 18k...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Batman Click here to enlarge
        As much as I like the Mustang, Ford messed up on the car
        How?
      1. Batman's Avatar
        Batman -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
        The camaro won because it’s a parts-bin special that allows them to price it $20k below the Mustang. Parts bin engine, transmission, etc. Not saying they aren’t good parts (on an excellent chassis), but it’s a bean counter’s car first. The Mustang has a unique engine (yes, leveraged from the voodoo, itself a unique engine), unique transmission (on par with Porsche’s), carbon fiber wheels, etc. It’s much more special. For me, the $20k premium is a no brainer. C&D is just trying to remain relevant with a “shocking” winner.

        -Rich
        Whether it be a Parts Bin Special or having a unique engine, isn't it still about performance? And as much as we hate to admit it, price and cost is part of the equation. Performance per dollar. If you don't know what I'm talking about, please feel free to check out the 2020 Nissan GTR Nismo. It has unique materials and a unique engine, and only costs $213,000+ and offers equivalent or worse performance than the Camaro or Mustang.
        Despite the $18,500 CFTP on the Mustang that includes carbon fiber wheels (exotic "unique" materials), the Camaro is still accelerating better from a dig, is pulling more Gs on the skid pad, and braking better! The shocking thing here is that the Camaro is doing all this with it's parts bin special. Ford had 7 years to develop and build the Mustang. Did Ford forget to benchmark the Camaro (it's main rival) against the Mustang during development? Ford had time to develop this Mustang. There is absolutely no excuse on why the Camaro should perform this well against the Mustang.
      1. richpike's Avatar
        richpike -
        If you don’t understand why the Camaro wins from a dig, I’m not sure I can help you. Skid pad and braking (and traction from a dig) are largely driven by tires (and weight). The Camaro apparently rides like $#@! which is likely helping it in the skid pad too. In the end, let’s see them around a track. And from a roll. And with equal tires from a dig. My money is on the GT500 in all those instances.

        And that 7-years they spent developing a bunch of unique parts and innovating. Chevy was clearly spending their money on the C8 (which is innovative for sure).

        -Rich
      1. Batman's Avatar
        Batman -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        They didn't have to option the GT500 for an extra 18k...
        The CFTP improves performance. In my opinion, they could have used cheaper materials on the Carbon Fiber wheels then used the savings to put wider wheels or tires on the car.
      1. Batman's Avatar
        Batman -
        .
      1. Batman's Avatar
        Batman -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
        If you don’t understand why the Camaro wins from a dig, I’m not sure I can help you. Skid pad and braking (and traction from a dig) are largely driven by tires (and weight). The Camaro apparently rides like $#@! which is likely helping it in the skid pad too. In the end, let’s see them around a track. And from a roll. And with equal tires from a dig. My money is on the GT500 in all those instances.

        And that 7-years they spent developing a bunch of unique parts and innovating. Chevy was clearly spending their money on the C8 (which is innovative for sure).

        -Rich
        In a performance oriented sports or track car, what is the point of innovation and unique parts if it doesn’t improve performance over your competitors or closest rival? If you’re going to innovate and you have 7 years to do so, you make damn sure you dominate the competition. No excuses! Prior to this comparison test, I was all in on the Mustang, despite it costing almost $20,000 more. I still wish it was offered with a manual transmission but I was willing to overlook that fact. In my opinion, the CFTP is a joke considering the performance to dollar benefit. When you analyze the details of the CFTP, part of the improved performance over the non-CFTP Mustang is attributed to the Michelin Pilot Cup Sport 2 tires and rear seat delete. The non-CFTP Mustang has a back seat and runs Michelin Pilot 4S tires. If the non-CFTP ran the same Michelin Pilot Cup Sport 2 tires, I believe the performance difference would be less.
        Wait a minute. We’re looking at a comparison test of two track monsters duking it out against each other to determine which car offers the ultimate performance, and you’re more concerned about the Mustang having a “Cadillac” ride compared to the Camaro??? Yeah. Right. Got it!
      1. richpike's Avatar
        richpike -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Batman Click here to enlarge
        and you’re more concerned about the Mustang having a “Cadillac” ride compared to the Camaro??? Yeah. Right. Got it!
        Click here to enlarge I see reading comprehension is not your strong suit. I said nothing about the Mustang’s ride and specifically said I’d prefer a track test.

        And just to make your head explode, show me a stock ZL1 putting down these numbers:

        https://www.boostaddict.com/showthre...1-4-mile-stock

        https://www.boostaddict.com/showthre...66-132-96-pass

        The car is anything but a disappointment and in another league compared to the ZL1.

        -Rich
      1. Batman's Avatar
        Batman -
        Cost/Performance ratio, aka Price/Performance ratio. You have no clue what I'm talking about, do you? It's okay. Keep on going. I won't interrupt you.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Batman Click here to enlarge
        Camaro is still accelerating better from a dig, is pulling more Gs on the skid pad, and braking better!
        How do you know it's not the rubber?

        The GT500 is obviously much quicker and faster. The Camaro isn't accelerating better. It just has to pray for traction and having driven an LT4 that motor is impossible to put the power down with.

        The Ford is the better performer although Chevy deserves credit for the skidpad figure. Even so, it won't win around the track.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Batman Click here to enlarge
        The CFTP improves performance. In my opinion, they could have used cheaper materials on the Carbon Fiber wheels then used the savings to put wider wheels or tires on the car.
        The wheels are wide enough. I'll take the lower rotational inertia which adds up over a lap.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Batman Click here to enlarge
        Cost/Performance ratio, aka Price/Performance ratio. You have no clue what I'm talking about, do you? It's okay. Keep on going. I won't interrupt you.
        Without the CFTP the GT500 offers a better performance per dollar ratio.