Close

    • Motiv 900 single turbo bottom mount closed deck built motor E92 335i N54 making 874 rwhp at 28 psi

      This is one of the stronger 335i's in the country and it is putting down some impressive numbers. The N54 3.0 liter inline-6 motor is built with forged internals. This is a closed deck short block featuring stainless o-rings and 11mm studs all around.


      The head gets attention too as ABR Houston did their Stage 3 porting job. Ferrea valves and shimmed springs are included with an aftermarket set of cams the specifications of which were not shared.

      This is a Motiv 900 running a Xona 105/68.

      Fueling is courtesy of a Fuel-It! Stage 4 setup allowing Ignite E85 to power this beast to 874/741 on 28 psi of boost:


      The dyno is uncorrected which is fine as we are seeing what it actually is putting down but the lack of rpm on the axis is a bummer. That power curve holds very well building until redline from the mid-range.

      A strong top end power curve on this N54.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Motiv 900 single turbo bottom mount closed deck built motor E92 335i N54 making 874 rwhp at 28 psi started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 11 Comments
      1. Payam@BMS's Avatar
        Payam@BMS -
        Not too bad! Wish they had RPM too, then we'd see how sluggish that 72mm really is. Not bad for 28 psi! Wish we had a log to confirm though Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Payam@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Wish they had RPM too, then we'd see how sluggish that 72mm really is. Not bad for 28 psi! Wish we had a log to confirm though
        I feel like they omit RPM on purpose at this point...
      1. Torgus's Avatar
        Torgus -
        not even a lot of boost...
      1. Eleventeen's Avatar
        Eleventeen -
        Yeah, that is pretty low boost for 874 WHP! Nice.
      1. Payam@BMS's Avatar
        Payam@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
        not even a lot of boost...
        Head work is doing magic is seems.
      1. Torgus's Avatar
        Torgus -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Payam@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Head work is doing magic is seems.
        yeah and the unknown cams.
      1. Abacus38's Avatar
        Abacus38 -
        With some math you can find out what the rpm would be. I'm assuming he is on a 25in tire and dynoing in 4th so that means

        61mph 3k rpms
        81mph 4k
        101.6 is 5k
        121.8 is 6k
        142 is 7k
        155 is 7600

        Max power is at 7400 and peak tq 5305.8

        Looking at the tq curve it looks like it hits full boost around 4500 rpm for 28psi
      1. Aus335iGuy's Avatar
        Aus335iGuy -
        Wasn’t there some mathematical reason that dyno graphs all cross hp and torque at 5200 rpm or so? If so the above numbers seem to fit.
      1. e90Bimmer335's Avatar
        e90Bimmer335 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Aus335iGuy Click here to enlarge
        Wasn’t there some mathematical reason that dyno graphs all cross hp and torque at 5200 rpm or so? If so the above numbers seem to fit.
        Horsepower = Torque x RPM / 5252
      1. Abacus38's Avatar
        Abacus38 -
        Yup the math equation is hp = (TQ x RPM)/ 5252 . Futhermore tq curve follows boost curve so you can kinda eyeball where the car hits full boost. It’s right before the tq curve levels out. Now with that being said that’s not the best way to compare spool times since different turbos and engine setups flow different. On our platform I look at where does the car make 500wtq. On your standard stock motor 6266 setup that’s around 3700rpms so to compare it to this car which hits 500wtq around 4200 so it’s spooling 500rpms later.
      1. andy_divers's Avatar
        andy_divers -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Abacus38 Click here to enlarge
        With some math you can find out what the rpm would be. I'm assuming he is on a 25in tire and dynoing in 4th so that means

        61mph 3k rpms
        81mph 4k
        101.6 is 5k
        121.8 is 6k
        142 is 7k
        155 is 7600

        Max power is at 7400 and peak tq 5305.8

        Looking at the tq curve it looks like it hits full boost around 4500 rpm for 28psi
        5252 cross is at 108mph, so 150mph is 7300. This is a fixed ratio based on roller speed.