Close

    • Most powerful non-M 3-Series ever - BMW increases B58 engine output to 382 horsepower for the 2019 G20 M340i

      Bear with BimmerBoost for a moment. While the M340i includes the letter M in the name it is actually an M-Sport model and not an official BMW M model such as the M3. Does that make sense? A bit confusing with how BMW puts the letter M on everything now but the point is the new G20 M340i is powerful.


      It shares the B58 3.0 liter turbocharged powerplant from the new G29 Z4 which also got an output bump.

      For context, the M340i is making more power than the BMW E46 M3 CSL. Despite its horsepower rating, BimmerBoost would bet dyno output will show the updated B58 is close to the E92 M3's output of 414 horsepower. That means roughly in the ~350 to the wheels range.

      That makes for a hell of a 3-Series. Well, if you are not in the European market. Emissions regulations choke the B58 down to 355 horsepower for European Union members. Hah.

      As for what changes BMW made for the increase from 335 horsepower, we will have to wait and see. Odds are BMW simply changed the tuning but if there is a bigger turbocharger on there the G20 M340i B58 will be, well, the new N54.

      The new N54 except with better cooling and a closed deck block mated to a better transmission in a new, lighter, and much stiffer chassis. Sounds like progress, doesn't it?


      This article was originally published in forum thread: Most powerful non-M 3-Series ever - BMW increases B58 engine output to 382 horsepower for the 2019 G20 M340i started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 35 Comments
      1. 135idct's Avatar
        135idct -
        just a tune, jumped from 320hp to ~380 hp, nothing special no hardware change.
      1. 93siro's Avatar
        93siro -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
        just a tune, jumped from 320hp to ~380 hp, nothing special no hardware change.
        Its the B58B30O1 unit. Completely different head with water cooled exhaust manifold.
      1. 135idct's Avatar
        135idct -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 93siro Click here to enlarge
        Its the B58B30O1 unit. Completely different head with water cooled exhaust manifold.
        yes it's the newest b58 version, from where the details?
      1. 93siro's Avatar
        93siro -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
        yes it's the newest b58 version, from where the details?
        Z4 M40i press details.
      1. IllSic_Design's Avatar
        IllSic_Design -
        Yeah the pic is wrong, will have integrated exhaust manifold with manifold cooling as said.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 93siro Click here to enlarge
        Its the B58B30O1 unit. Completely different head with water cooled exhaust manifold.
        Where did you get the head info? That's awesome that there are actually hardware changes.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by IllSic_Design Click here to enlarge
        Yeah the pic is wrong, will have integrated exhaust manifold with manifold cooling as said.
        The pic is of the B58B30M0.

        Unfortunately, there are no B58B30O1 diagrams.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 93siro Click here to enlarge
        Z4 M40i press details.
        Couldn't find it in the US press releases.

        Found this but not sure if it is official:

        The new power unit’s standout features include a water-cooled exhaust manifold integrated into the cylinder head, sharper turbocharger response and superior acceleration, and direct injection technology which now works at increased maximum pressure of 350 bar.
      1. IllSic_Design's Avatar
        IllSic_Design -
        Can be found here in the attachments at the bottom; https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...the-new-bmw-z4
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        it looks like they upped the fuel pressure across the board. The new M5 also uses 350bar vs the old M5 at 200bar.

        higher pressure direct injection probably helps to enable a leaner burn (more efficient, more power from the fuel+air)
      1. 93siro's Avatar
        93siro -
        Click here to enlarge

        Here is the setup in the new X5. RealOEM names it B58C, but they usually refer to engines differently. Anyhow, i guess the whole B58 will soon switch to this design known as B58B30M1. The 380hp models will get the B58B30O1 which i guess will have bigger turbo based on the press releases i've seen so far. Unless BMW pull a Benz thing and lie about using bigger turbo.
      1. 93siro's Avatar
        93siro -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
        it looks like they upped the fuel pressure across the board. The new M5 also uses 350bar vs the old M5 at 200bar.

        higher pressure direct injection probably helps to enable a leaner burn (more efficient, more power from the fuel+air)
        It's crazy that S54 had 5 bar fuel pressure and everyone was thinking BMW was mad to up the fuel pressure from 3 bar to 5 bar lol
      1. Eleventeen's Avatar
        Eleventeen -
        For the record, “Integrated into the head” likely means the turbo bolts directly to the cylinder head. The manifold passages would be cast into the head itself. The effectiveness of turbo upgrades will be limited to the flow characteristics of that internal manifold (i.e. no way to upgrade to a tubular manifold or larger cast manifold).

        EDIT: Looks like someone beat me to it with a picture. As you can see, there’s no manifold to really improve upon (other than a little bit of porting). Hopefully the flow characteristics of those passages are good.
      1. quattr0's Avatar
        quattr0 -
        And it will come with LSD which is the first for non-M car?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 93siro Click here to enlarge
        Unless BMW pull a Benz thing and lie about using bigger turbo.
        Still don't understand why Mercedes did that.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
        For the record, “Integrated into the head” likely means the turbo bolts directly to the cylinder head. The manifold passages would be cast into the head itself. The effectiveness of turbo upgrades will be limited to the flow characteristics of that internal manifold (i.e. no way to upgrade to a tubular manifold or larger cast manifold).

        EDIT: Looks like someone beat me to it with a picture. As you can see, there’s no manifold to really improve upon (other than a little bit of porting). Hopefully the flow characteristics of those passages are good.
        So we're going to need to see aftermarket manifolds to get real turbo upgrades?

        At least they're bolting it to the head and not casting it into the head.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 93siro Click here to enlarge
        Here is the setup in the new X5. RealOEM names it B58C, but they usually refer to engines differently. Anyhow, i guess the whole B58 will soon switch to this design known as B58B30M1.
        The common name will probably become B58TU but it is indeed confusing.
      1. Eleventeen's Avatar
        Eleventeen -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        So we're going to need to see aftermarket manifolds to get real turbo upgrades?

        At least they're bolting it to the head and not casting it into the head.
        It looks like they are casting it into the head. Based on that photo, there are only 2 exhaust ports. One for the front 3 cylinders and one for the back 3 cylinders. The only aftermarket “manifold” they will be able to build is a little Y-pipe to adapt different turbos. That should work just fine (and likely be really easy to do), but how well will those integrated passeges in the head flow above stock power levels? Hopefully pretty well. Either way, it probably won’t be an issue for mild turbo upgrades.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
        It looks like they are casting it into the head. Based on that photo, there are only 2 exhaust ports. One for the front 3 cylinders and one for the back 3 cylinders. The only aftermarket “manifold” they will be able to build is a little Y-pipe to adapt different turbos. That should work just fine (and likely be really easy to do), but how well will those integrated passeges in the head flow above stock power levels? Hopefully pretty well. Either way, it probably won’t be an issue for mild turbo upgrades.
        So we're limited with hybrid until what? An aftermarket cylinder head?
      1. Optigrab's Avatar
        Optigrab -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
        It looks like they are casting it into the head. Based on that photo, there are only 2 exhaust ports. One for the front 3 cylinders and one for the back 3 cylinders. The only aftermarket “manifold” they will be able to build is a little Y-pipe to adapt different turbos. That should work just fine (and likely be really easy to do), but how well will those integrated passeges in the head flow above stock power levels? Hopefully pretty well. Either way, it probably won’t be an issue for mild turbo upgrades.
        Why would you do something like this.

        Is this for emissions, cost cutting or turbo spool?