Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

A little taste of SS potential

As you guys may know I have totally changed sides with the car industry haha. So after on the forums for the cobalt SS there has been this turbo upgrade that is being tested right now. This is what i'll be looking at when I upgrade the turbo Click here to enlarge oh yea its a simple bolt on!

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Edit- Best dyno pull so far(March 14):
    Click here to enlarge

Yes, this is an EFR based turbo. It has an unbelieveable list of features:

Ball bearing
    Water cooled
    Billet wheel
    Extended tip
    Stainless exhaust housing
    Titanium/aluminide exhaust wheel
    Built-in recirc bypass
    Built-in wastegate

We took all of this and added:
    Bolt-on to LNF manifold
    LNF exit for factory O2 housing
    Re-designed wastegate actuator bracket for use in this application
    Adapter fitting for factory LNF oil inlet hose

This setup uses our off-the shelf charge tubes, intercooler, downpipe, etc... It also has a stock airbox and our silicone intake coupler with a slight modification.

The best part about this setup is the simplicity. I got the turbo on the car and strapped it on the dyno. The first pull was 411whp, the 2nd pull was 473. The 3rd pull was 487, then 489. Then I had to make some adjustments to the wastegate actuator to get more boost and the next pull was 509whp. Looking at the dyno sheet, you can see 25psi at 3400 RPM, so lag is not an issue either. All in all, I'm pretty happy with this project so far. Click here to enlarge

I did some more dyno tests yesterday to better judge the spool capability of this new turbo. Here are a couple dyno sheets-

First sheet shows the stock K04 turbo vs. the ZZP EFR hybrid turbo. Both test went wot at 55mph in 4th gear(4.45 final drive). Notice that the spool is identical. both were set to the same boost level, which the stock turbo was not able to maintain. Disregard the "average hp" line on this test because the K04 test wasn't set to record data until 60mph, while the efr test was recording from the start at 55mph. The first 5mph without boost totally kills the average power number. If you look between the curves from 4000rpm and up, you can immediately see a HUGE difference!
    Click here to enlarge

Next, to determine just how low in the RPM band the new turbo can spool, I went full throttle at 30mph in 4th gear.(1500 RPM) This resulted in 20psi boost at 2950 rpm!
    Click here to enlarge

I tried to do a 60-100 starting at 60 in 3rd with no boost and rolling into the throttle...

Then I figured I would be alright if I started at 70 in 4th...

When I let off, the actual speed was 120, which means it went 70-120 in less than 4 seconds spinning badly. Click here to enlarge

Yeah, I know my message center is blown up. The airbag sensor under the passenger seat is unhooked and the coolant level sensor is broke. Oh yeah, and I need to change my oil. And get some fuel... Anything else?

Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Looks stout. Looking forward to your progress
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

That thing has some potential! Those are some strong numbers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Thank you guys, yes this is pretty impressive for 2.0L direct injection turbo. For now I have ordered an intake and downpipe and I will be getting a tune in a couple of weeks or so. After I have all the supporting bolt on mods I will be looking at this bolt on turbo upgrade. They have tested this engine to 500whp/wtq with stock internals and fueling, and they claim it is safe to run 450 whp with stock internals. I will be looking at around 430 whp for my goal in this car as going over 500 whp on FWD is useless as you see in the video. 2900lbs/430whp = 6.74 power to weight is good enough for me!
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Thank you guys, yes this is pretty impressive for 2.0L direct injection turbo. For now I have ordered an intake and downpipe and I will be getting a tune in a couple of weeks or so. After I have all the supporting bolt on mods I will be looking at this bolt on turbo upgrade. They have tested this engine to 500whp/wtq with stock internals and fueling, and they claim it is safe to run 450 whp with stock internals. I will be looking at around 430 whp for my goal in this car as going over 500 whp on FWD is useless as you see in the video. 2900lbs/430whp = 6.74 power to weight is good enough for me!
    Oh it's direct injected? Didn't realize that, and you guys have fueling upgrades available?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Oh it's direct injected? Didn't realize that, and you guys have fueling upgrades available?
    Yes, direct injection! I think they are working on fueling upgrades, but for now they have reached 540 whp with stock injectors and pump etc. on e85! the mods on that car as far as I know is their stage 1 cams, bolt on turbo upgrade the EFR turbo, and supporting bolt on mods. I want to see what it makes on straight pump. should the numbers be higher since regular pump gas flows more than the e85 would?
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Yes, direct injection! I think they are working on fueling upgrades, but for now they have reached 540 whp with stock injectors and pump etc. on e85!
    Pretty damn impressive.

should the numbers be higher since regular pump gas flows more than the e85 would?
    That is what I was thinking except the numbers would be higher on race I think not pump since E85 is basically race gas. Even though you need more of it you can still run more boost without detonating on it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What's that thing have bicycle tires on it Click here to enlarge jk looks like it's a lot of fun
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Pretty damn impressive.

That is what I was thinking except the numbers would be higher on race I think not pump since E85 is basically race gas. Even though you need more of it you can still run more boost without detonating on it.
    ohh yea, you're right e85 is racegas level. not too shabby tho! im surprised the stock injectors can flow that much!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    What's that thing have bicycle tires on it Click here to enlarge jk looks like it's a lot of fun
    LMAO i seriously agree. 225/40/18 dont really work. he's looking for 295/50/16 to put the power down haha
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

im surprised the stock injectors can flow that much!
    As am I.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

$#@!in domestics and mod friendly mentality..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

yep...BMW would never let you get away with that....GM was always mod friendly..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

500whp with a FWD car ? man that's crazy !
    really be careful with it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    yep...BMW would never let you get away with that....GM was always mod friendly..
    hahah, yes! I'm still not even used to it. there are so many options but so little money in my pocket hahahaha

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    500whp with a FWD car ? man that's crazy !
    really be careful with it.
    yea that car is fully built tho, heads,cams, rods pistons clutch big turbo, downpipe intake intercooler. with stock fueling!

I'm gonna keep it at 400-450 whp range they say is safe for stock internal set up with supporting mods. for now, I have yet to tune this beast to even see how much 300+whp will feel on this car.

btw raced my friends 335, pulled by one car up top near 120-130. he was automatic. After, I gave him a ride in my car and understood what happend lol. I was surprised as well.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

btw raced my friends 335, pulled by one car up top near 120-130. he was automatic. After, I gave him a ride in my car and understood what happend lol. I was surprised as well.
    No vids? You must do it again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

No vids? You must do it again.
    it was just a night of driving home after a kickback, it wasnt planned at all it just happened lol. Next time I will get a video will be my friends e46 m3 against mine. He has a camera mount to so I cant wait, for now the weather has been holding us back. prob by next week we will.

Also be in tune for a race with the ls2 c6 vette vs e46 m3 gintani SC.. I already know the outcome of this but it still will be a nice comparo..
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Fast car but i highly doubt "70-120 in less than 4 seconds spinning badly"...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gringotegra Click here to enlarge
    Fast car but i highly doubt "70-120 in less than 4 seconds spinning badly"...
    I agree, we've asked him to do some vbox runs Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

it was just a night of driving home after a kickback, it wasnt planned at all it just happened lol. Next time I will get a video will be my friends e46 m3 against mine. He has a camera mount to so I cant wait, for now the weather has been holding us back. prob by next week we will.

Also be in tune for a race with the ls2 c6 vette vs e46 m3 gintani SC.. I already know the outcome of this but it still will be a nice comparo..
    This must all be on video.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I agree, we've asked him to do some vbox runs Click here to enlarge

Its a 2900lb car making 500whp.. i can assure you its not.. i make 500whp and weigh 2500lbs and it took me 3 secs to go from 100-130..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

video..!!!!! damn it lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

No video, but have vbox to prove Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

This must all be on video.
    It will be I promise! I think the vette and the e46 m3 video will be up first. The guy that owns the vette also owns the stock e46 m3 that i want to race and get on vid Click here to enlarge, but he wants to race the Gintani SC e46 m3 with his vette before we race..

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gringotegra Click here to enlarge
    Its a 2900lb car making 500whp.. i can assure you its not.. i make 500whp and weigh 2500lbs and it took me 3 secs to go from 100-130..
    no worries, I'll be back for the info to update. This was all within this week.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kautiongsr Click here to enlarge
    video..!!!!! damn it lol
    Soon enough my friend, soon enough. Click here to enlarge

PS by next week I will be receiving and installing the intake and downpipe for my car be in tuned for that too! videos Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what mods do you have now?
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    what mods do you have now?
    just ordered intake and downpipe for now they'll be installed next weekend when i have some time. For now all I have installed are HID kits and white signals.
    Burger Motorsports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast