Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

DCT clutch/upgrade options for slipping 1st and 2nd.

I have about 120k now and my ESS vt2-650 modified kit has overpowered the DCT clutches for some time. I've been doing some research and of course Dodson and SSP make clutches. However, from reviewing the threads it appears no one has cracked the DCT ECU to increase line pressure to effectively make them worthwhile over the GTS program?

I need to do something as 1st gear is useless over half throttle it just spins. 2nd spins depending on temps and the like at the top as well. (This wasn't the case when I first added the kit.)

I'm debating just swapping in a used DCT off a low mileage car or pulling mine and building.

Thoughts?

Also, as to further motor upgrades past my 650 kit, it seems the best bet is to get carillo rods with pistons made for the alnsil (sp) liners and not stroke? If I got that route of course I have to do the fuel system.

As to the fuel system, is there finally a concensus with the fuel system mods? I know in the past it needed to be converted to return style and running a larger line and using the factory line for the return. However, last I read a few guys figured out how to run a returnless upgrade with factory bmw pumps? Or was it just that they went return style and used a factory bmw pump inline?

Lastly, what is the largest rim and tire that fits and works well on the rear of my e92 for this power?? I'm running the stock 10" ZCP'S with 285/30/19 PSS and can only get 8-10k out of them before they cord. I drive the car in the canyons so it's not just straight line stuff so I don't want to sacrifice handling for straight line. The PSS I run in that size are $400 a tire and I'm tired of paying that and living at the tire store. I was thinking of trying the new conti extreme as it's cheap but read it's a downgrade. Also, FYI, NO I'm not going to fit a 295 on a 10" rim and have it handle like crap or do some ricer nonsense. I had to modify the fender liners to fit the 285's and have zero rubbing so I don't want that either. Thanks!

I'm weighing my options on the next steps with the car or possibly upgrading to something else. I have a ton of dough into this thing already just in my OS Gikken diff and suspension alone so it makes probably the most sense to keep going.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2305 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SPR12 Click here to enlarge
    However, from reviewing the threads it appears no one has cracked the DCT ECU to increase line pressure to effectively make them worthwhile over the GTS program?
    People exaggerate capability in this regard. They just try to up the line pressure as much as possible to increase clamping force.

Just get Dodson clutches and be happy. They released this set if you want something with high torque capacity: http://www.boostaddict.com/content.p...-M5-and-F13-M6

They have whatever you need.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks. There are no issue with adaptations or anything that I read in the past?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2305 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also, as to further motor upgrades past my 650 kit, it seems the best bet is to get carillo rods with pistons made for the alnsil (sp) liners and not stroke? If I got that route of course I have to do the fuel system.

As to the fuel system, is there finally a concensus with the fuel system mods? I know in the past it needed to be converted to return style and running a larger line and using the factory line for the return. However, last I read a few guys figured out how to run a returnless upgrade with factory bmw pumps? Or was it just that they went return style and used a factory bmw pump inline?
    The only company that really has it figured out to run with E85 is Gintani. They have an upgraded fuel system so just contact them if you want to push further.

You can do rods and pistons and increase power further but you will be limited by the block anyway. Rods and pistons are an expensive proposition to just get slightly more capability over stock. You will have peace of mind though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2305 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks. There are no issue with adaptations or anything that I read in the past?
    Not if whomever installs has the proper tools and everything. There needs to be some sort of reset done or something of that sort I'm not too sure.

Just get a set of clutches you know works and it shouldn't be a problem.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks. Yeah I read that I can get that one scan tool and it has the function to reset the clutches.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2305 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lastly, what is the largest rim and tire that fits and works well on the rear of my e92 for this power?? I'm running the stock 10" ZCP'S with 285/30/19 PSS and can only get 8-10k out of them before they cord. I drive the car in the canyons so it's not just straight line stuff so I don't want to sacrifice handling for straight line. The PSS I run in that size are $400 a tire and I'm tired of paying that and living at the tire store. I was thinking of trying the new conti extreme as it's cheap but read it's a downgrade. Also, FYI, NO I'm not going to fit a 295 on a 10" rim and have it handle like crap or do some ricer nonsense. I had to modify the fender liners to fit the 285's and have zero rubbing so I don't want that either. Thanks!
    You might want to make a thread in the wheels/tire forum for this one.

If you go to a wider rim you can run a 305 which is what I did. Get some softer rubber that hooks but life will go down.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2305 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks. Yeah I read that I can get that one scan tool and it has the function to reset the clutches.
    Yep that should work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just got a quote on the rods, pistons, bolts and bearings at like 6.5k!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2305 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just got a quote on the rods, pistons, bolts and bearings at like 6.5k!
    From who?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks. I will try this route. The finish on my ZCP'S is pretty old anyhow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The same guy DLJ used - Goodspeed AZ. Seems crazy high. I mean Carrillo rods are some of the best around, and might actually be $2k or $2500 for a set, but there's no way pistons and rod bearings are $4k. $2k would be a lotttt to pay for pistons, and only rod bearings are probably $200-300.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did you call VAC Motorsports?
    cjn

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2305 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The same guy DLJ used - Goodspeed AZ. Seems crazy high. I mean Carrillo rods are some of the best around, and might actually be $2k or $2500 for a set, but there's no way pistons and rod bearings are $4k. $2k would be a lotttt to pay for pistons, and only rod bearings are probably $200-300.
    Call a few more places. Seriously, give Gintani a call. They have internals laying around from all the builds they have done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just pulled my notes from researching this before. I have the part numbers from VAC. The pistons are JE made for the Alusil liners and are 3k. Carillo rods, bolts and bearings are $2.3k. Goodspeed is trying to profit over 1k. Weak.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That place kinda scares me with all of the bad write ups.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2305 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That place kinda scares me with all of the bad write ups.
    Suit yourself. ESS has more bad writeups than them and Gintani has produced the most powerful S65's and even twin turbo variants.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    True. I typically just do all of my own work. I just want the parts. However, I may need someone to do the dct clutches as I don't want to buy the special tools for a one time deal. Gintani's website doesn't work also btw.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Suit yourself. ESS has more bad writeups than them and Gintani has produced the most powerful S65's and even twin turbo variants.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2305 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    True. I typically just do all of my own work. I just want the parts. However, I may need someone to do the dct clutches as I don't want to buy the special tools for a one time deal. Gintani's website doesn't work also btw.
    Works for me but you're best off calling. Even if it is just to get free advice.