Close

Thread: GC update

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

GC update

I got to the drag strip last weekend. Unfortunately I couldn't get my car to hook for a good 60ft but I did trap at 129 at the quarter and 101 at the 8th in a full weight car.
    This was despite the traction control cutting in in 2nd gear, dropping timing to 0 and closing the throttle. So I should make 130 I hope. I run the car in DTC mode.

I didn't think to let the tyre pressures down unfortunately. I ran a pump flash first time. Traction control cut in severely and I trapped only 124 so I decided to go to the ethanol flash and to limit boost at the start. Then I was adding more and more ethanol to my tank after each run. My trims had been going a bit high so I didn't want to add too much which I couldn't remove later. I hadn't done much testing with my E50 flash before getting to the track so it wasn't ideal.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I hope to go to the drag strip again this coming weekend. I might just try mashing the throttle this time. I was blipping the throttle up to 3000 rpm and trying to launch from there last time. DCT box. When I used full launch control the car took ages to stop spinning in 1st and then cut the power in 2nd. Complete waste of time.
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.
    11.74@129 on GCs.
    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, custom bucketless stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    691 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice traps at least!

Does limiting boost in 1st and 2nd help the launches? Or is it just a tire issue at this point?
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2305 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    So what is it the GC's offer if it just traps like hybrids have been trapping forever on the platform?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice results man!
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So what is it the GC's offer if it just traps like hybrids have been trapping forever on the platform?
    Especially on a car with a DCT to boot! idk what the f*** to put on my car... probably Motiv.

But I do have to chim in on a few personal(Humble) opinions:

1) Yes we all know, Tire pressure needs to drop big time if you want to improve launch

2) Why not turn off the DTC? Let your foot progressively do the work and add in more and more power as you can, or just slam it and hope the tires take care of it. I think its faster than throttle and timing cuts.

3) Can you launch a DCT transmission in second gear? Might not be a bad idea if you can launch at like 2500RPM in second gear Click here to enlarge

Anyways, nice runs and you are for sure fast just need to figure out your 60 foot and I think the car has the ability to knock on the door of 10's.
    2008 335xi MT Coupe. Sparkling Graphite. Pro-tune by Twisted Tuning. AD-e 650hp FMIC/Charge pipe w/ BOV. CP-e downpipes. KW V1 suspension.Click here to enlarge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2305 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Simmi15 Click here to enlarge
    Especially on a car with a DCT to boot!
    I was going to highlight this next, exactly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I trap 96mph on 1/8 mile with my Pure DD's at low boost (18psi) in a manual 135i spinning almost all second gear, starting slow in first.

I respect OP's results tough, 1/4 mile is really not easy with these cars..
    TOY:M/T 2008 135i
    JB4/MHD TREBILA Custom Tune, Pure Turbo Stage 2 DD's ,Kittyless DP, 5'' Intercooler, PR Inlets, VRSF Intake + Tial BOV, BMS Meth Kit, Koni FSD Shocks, 335is 2x Engine Mounts, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, MFactory Flywheel, E46 M3 Trans Mounts, Rear Subrame Race Inserts, Diff Lockdown, 335is Guibo, Wavetrac LSD, DSS Axles....more to come..

Toy #2 (Track): 2010 Mazda Miata GT

Daily: 2014 Audi Q5 TDI Malone Stage 2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2305 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PLF Click here to enlarge
    I trap 96mph on 1/8 mile with my Pure DD's at low boost (18psi) in a manual 135i spinning almost all second gear, starting slow in first.
    Sounds about right honestly.

All of these hybrids just appear to be stuck in that ~130 range since years back.

If the GC's made the power Tony claimed (which somehow only he has been able to hit) you would see higher traps.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I 1st gear launched on all my 10 second passes with traction control off. Make sure you have upgraded axles. Are you on DR's?
    2011 335is DCT | Wagner Evo 2 intercooler | Wagner DP's | JB4 G5/MHD | Phoenix Charge Pipe/Tial BOV | JB4 G5/MHD | BMS DCI's

RIP 2007 E90 335i
    Doc Race Single Turbo | PTE 6266 | TFT Charge Pipe| JB4 G5/MHD | FuelIt stg 3 LPFP | Cpe/BMS PI | 100% E85 | DSS Axles |
    AR DPs | Cpe FMIC | Tial BOV

ET: 10.721 | Best MPH 130.92

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds about right honestly.

All of these hybrids just appear to be stuck in that ~130 range since years back.

If the GC's made the power Tony claimed (which somehow only he has been able to hit) you would see higher traps.
    I'm only stuck at 130 because of my transmission. If I had the dodson or ssp clutch pack I could run 30 psi instead of 25.

Yes my only trouble is launching the car. I have Federal rsrr but they still wouldn't hook. Launching was better with boost reduction but ruined my 60ft times so in the end I disabled it and did my best to ease it in. I can't fully turn off traction control. The car can snap round in the blink of an eye. Just not worth wrecking for. Can launch in 2nd with dct but it's impossible to raise the rpms from idle. Boost braking is impossible and launch control is disabled.

I actually had the car over boost to 31 psi today. I flashed back to my pump gas and meth tune. Something like FF must have learned way up. Failsafe caught it. I had set boost target to 24 psi. My friend had the exact same thing happen to him. Also a jb4 user. Also had been at the drag strip. He was targeting 26 psi on the Vargas stage 2+

Click here to enlarge
    11.74@129 on GCs.
    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, custom bucketless stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2305 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AWSAWS Click here to enlarge
    I'm only stuck at 130 because of my transmission. If I had the dodson or ssp clutch pack I could run 30 psi instead of 25.
    Well what's stopping you? Get it.

The DCT's will obviously be the quickest/fastest.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well what's stopping you? Get it.

The DCT's will obviously be the quickest/fastest.
    $$$ my friend. Same as most people Click here to enlarge
    11.74@129 on GCs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It is actually interesting. I go through 5 gears where autos go through 4 so dct might not be the quickest over a quarter mile. Not sure which one has the ideal setup gear ratio wise for the quickest time. Yes dct should have continuous power but timing does drop a little between shifts. Boost gets reduced so as not to blow up the box.
    11.74@129 on GCs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2305 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It is actually interesting. I go through 5 gears where autos go through 4 so dct might not be the quickest over a quarter mile.
    It's a fair point. I wanted to go to longer gears due to the extra shift for the E92 M3 DCT compared to the manual.

The higher you are up in gears the less torque multiplication you get. You won't accelerate in 5th as quickly as 3rd even in a vacuum.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    1. You need some real tires i.e bias ply slicks. Drag radials are meant for auto cars not manual or DCT.
    2. You're playing with fire. The second you start cutting a better 60ft you can kiss your axles, diff and your driveshaft goodbye. 335i DCT cars have the weakest drive shafts out of the bunch.
    Click here to enlarge

Left hand on the steering wheel right hand on that RTD Shifter
    -2Chainz

07 6spd TI ag E92

Mods
    Boostbox, e85, RTD shifter, and a 6766
    #BuiltByHaborFreight

Instagram Oss_Cah5

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    how would bias ply be better than drag radials?
    11.74@129 on GCs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

15 Bias ply Tire will absorb a lot of shock from the lunch, this is a known fact. Alrought it forces you to use Bias ply front Tire (unless your crazy)

As for 15 inch drag radial if they are harder on the drivetrain vs Bias, this I don't know.

Altrough I have a LSD and DSS Axles etc. I decided to sell my 18inch drag radiale and stop trying to get good 1/8 1/4 times. The BMW 6-speed manuel is garbage for drag Racing (I did own a RTD Shifter).

A dct swap in my car is way too $$ to justify and I spent to much time and monies on it I would lose too much switching model.

I will try to attend roll Racing/ 1/2 mile events next season instead.
    TOY:M/T 2008 135i
    JB4/MHD TREBILA Custom Tune, Pure Turbo Stage 2 DD's ,Kittyless DP, 5'' Intercooler, PR Inlets, VRSF Intake + Tial BOV, BMS Meth Kit, Koni FSD Shocks, 335is 2x Engine Mounts, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, MFactory Flywheel, E46 M3 Trans Mounts, Rear Subrame Race Inserts, Diff Lockdown, 335is Guibo, Wavetrac LSD, DSS Axles....more to come..

Toy #2 (Track): 2010 Mazda Miata GT

Daily: 2014 Audi Q5 TDI Malone Stage 2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PLF Click here to enlarge
    15 Bias ply Tire will absorb a lot of shock from the lunch, this is a known fact. Alrought it forces you to use Bias ply front Tire (unless your crazy)

As for 15 inch drag radial if they are harder on the drivetrain vs Bias, this I don't know.

Altrough I have a LSD and DSS Axles etc. I decided to sell my 18inch drag radiale and stop trying to get good 1/8 1/4 times. The BMW 6-speed manuel is garbage for drag Racing (I did own a RTD Shifter).

A dct swap in my car is way too $$ to justify and I spent to much time and monies on it I would lose too much switching model.

I will try to attend roll Racing/ 1/2 mile events next season instead.
    Thanks,
    yeah I figured there must be something like more sidewall flex to be a bit softer on the car during launch. I just want to make a 10 anything pass and then I'm done with the drag racing. Although the UK doesn't seem to have many 1/2 mile or roll racing events. Only super expensive top speed events. Spots are usually taken by the supercar owners. Out to show off their lambos, Ferraris, Koenigseggs etc.
    11.74@129 on GCs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    691 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I actually had the car over boost to 31 psi today. I flashed back to my pump gas and meth tune. Something like FF must have learned way up.
    When you open the log you can compare FF to where it was previously when boost was on target. Were you running a really low map for some time where FF had to learn up, then switched to a higher map?
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also it seems like the bias ply kinetic coefficient of friction is much better. Even when they are slipping a little, they are still sticking. So they can absorb some shock that way as well. With radials once they slip more than just slightly they are gone until you let off. Combine radials with a light flywheel and the "bog or burn" line becomes very thin.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2305 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    how would bias ply be better than drag radials?
    It isn't necessarily but bias-ply is softer and absorbs some of the shock but you need to run four all the way around and they are not as stable on the top end.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It isn't necessarily but bias-ply is softer and absorbs some of the shock but you need to run four all the way around and they are not as stable on the top end.
    Bias ply are also quite a bit heavier IIRC so more unsprung weight and more rotating inertia which isn't good. You would have to be really hurting for traction and have a lot too much power for the bias ply to really be better than the DR's for a lot of cars.
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X
    2007 Subaru STI - 20G/E85 - NF Tuned
    2006 BMW X3 - dog hauler
    2005 Infiniti G35 S - drift beater

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2305 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
    Bias ply are also quite a bit heavier IIRC so more unsprung weight and more rotating inertia which isn't good.
    That's not correct from what I've read.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's not correct from what I've read.
    I guess if you are talking about the same size tire it looks like you are right, bias ply is lighter than a radial.
    It seems like usually when my friends have switched to full bias ply slicks the tires end up being taller and wider too, and for a lot of them for whatever reason they don't end up being faster unless they have WAAAY too much power for drag radials.
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X
    2007 Subaru STI - 20G/E85 - NF Tuned
    2006 BMW X3 - dog hauler
    2005 Infiniti G35 S - drift beater