Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

CO2 intercooler sprayer

Hi Guys,
    I've done just 2 drag strip visits this year. I'm hoping I get in another this weekend. Weather permitting.
    Anyway, on one quite warm day my IATs were getting up to 130F before even making the run down the strip. Purely heat soak in the engine bay. Once moving the meth and air flow quickly drops the temps but in 11 seconds, half the run can be high temps.

So for a bit of fun I decide to take on a little project to remedy this. I was thinking of doing an IC water sprayer but as you'll know any liquid on the drag strip is a big no no.
    So I was also thinking of some water jacket system, maybe around the charge pipe with ice water. In the end I found that I could get a cylinder of CO2 for fairly cheap and refills were not too bad. About $20. Compared to buying bags of ice all the time then there's not a massive difference and obviously a water system requires a good pump etc.

The priciest part turned out to be the solenoid and braided steel hose. As CO2 is 850 psi I wanted to use a good hose. In the end I found I could just use good quality meth hose rated for 1400 psi.

This is what the system looks like. I'm spraying very little co2 in this test to save it for the track. Anyway liquid CO2 comes out very cold. It'll be interesting to see how it does next year when it's hot again.

I currently run the 7" VRSF FMIC and water meth injection. GC turbos.
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.
    11.74@129 on GCs.
    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, custom bucketless stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Test before installing

Uses a nitrous solenoid and switch located in the cabin.
    11.74@129 on GCs.
    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, custom bucketless stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very cool, no pun intended.

Have you considered using a hobbs pressure switch and then use the interior switch to power the solenoid? So it will only work at the PSI you want and when you want it to?

I'm just imagining a rocker switch and it is spraying for a while you and you are just sitting there waiting for the tree
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We’ve used fire extinguishers in the past and this is a great evolution of that. Well done

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice!! Ive been looking at this for my car too.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dei-080108
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Very cool, no pun intended.

Have you considered using a hobbs pressure switch and then use the interior switch to power the solenoid? So it will only work at the PSI you want and when you want it to?

I'm just imagining a rocker switch and it is spraying for a while you and you are just sitting there waiting for the tree
    Yes I did a basic push switch. It can lock on but the 7 lbs of co2 probably wouldn't last long. I figured spraying straight after a burnout would be best. I didn't want to spray while moving, just to make sure co2 isn't sucked into the engine. Co2 is a heavier gas and should fall away but with so much air being drawn in by the turbos while near red line I don't know if some could make it up and into the intakes. Nitrous could be another option but co2 is cheaper where I live.

I imagine this would be a great mod is the hotter states like Florida etc
    11.74@129 on GCs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Payam@BMS Click here to enlarge

Yes I saw that but I basically paid £55 for co2 bottle with co2 in it. £50 for solenoid. £20 for high pressure nylon hose, £5 for wires, £10 for push fit connectors. £4 for a switch.

Around £144 = $190.

I will make some basic mount for in the trunk.
    11.74@129 on GCs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Payam@BMS Click here to enlarge

They also have bulbs for inside the cp. (Or just before it actually)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sweet, hope it works. Did you check the IAT after spraying like that?

Like you said just gotta be sure you aren't sucking that CO2 into the intake and probably want to make sure you aren't sparying on/near the IAT sensor skewing the reading (Im not sure where its located on the N54).
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X
    2007 Subaru STI - 20G/E85 - NF Tuned
    2006 BMW X3 - dog hauler
    2005 Infiniti G35 S - drift beater

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Logs of this in use, OP?
    2009 535i Sport SAT -- JB4 G5 ISO |MHD E85 BEF | VTT GC Lites | VTT Inlets/Outlet |VRSF 3" DP's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It Stage 2 | Fuel-IT TBI |BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 4bar TMAP | Koni FSD | 15mm Rear Spacers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2305 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    IC spraying used to be far more popular before meth/water injection really took off.

I remember some of the ricers would spray nitrous on their intercoolers instead of into their motors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    IMO,
    This isn't going to work as you intend it to, if at all.
    The problem is that you're not spraying enough surface area to make an difference and the gas is not staying in the core long enough to make any effect.
    For CO2 to work well you'll need to fog the whole core and slow the rate of release.

If you're dead serious about cooler IAT's, a dry ice box is the route to take. Look at ARE's research on that --> http://www.are.com.au/Big%20HP/Dry%2...%20cooling.htm

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes this was more just a bit of fun. Temps aren't really going to be very high to test this at the moment
    11.74@129 on GCs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you think there is much need of cooling the IC given the meth you are running? Are you having issues with high aits? Just curious.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Do you think there is much need of cooling the IC given the meth you are running? Are you having issues with high aits? Just curious.
    Only at the drag strip on hot days where you can spend an hour or more lining up with the engine often running. Obviously for full boost and protection of the oil you need to be at operating temperature. For dct I also need the transmission to be up to temp so I can blip the throttle to rev the engine up a little for launch. There's no clutch pedal but by engaging launch control I can review the engine without the clutch engaging.

This is just an instant cooling method as the necessary airflow isn't available. I've started a run at 135F in the past. Possibly higher. Seen timing pulls.

Same as someone spraying the intercooler with a co2 fire extinguisher but self contained. Operatable by the driver alone.
    11.74@129 on GCs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What about an A2W intercooler, and instead of water you inject CO2? That way the CO2 is confined inside intercooler and can provide the most benefit. Of course, the rest of the time when you're not injecting CO2, it will be useless.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ferocity02 Click here to enlarge
    What about an A2W intercooler, and instead of water you inject CO2? That way the CO2 is confined inside intercooler and can provide the most benefit. Of course, the rest of the time when you're not injecting CO2, it will be useless.
    Yes that's certainly an option. I had considered some way of surrounding the intercooler or chargepipe with circulated water if not actually buying an A2W IC but I liked the idea of the super cold CO2. Plus the actual FMIC is great when actually driving around. Always wanted a car I can fill with ice before a run down the strip though Click here to enlarge
    11.74@129 on GCs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AWSAWS Click here to enlarge
    Yes that's certainly an option. I had considered some way of surrounding the intercooler or chargepipe with circulated water if not actually buying an A2W IC but I liked the idea of the super cold CO2. Plus the actual FMIC is great when actually driving around. Always wanted a car I can fill with ice before a run down the strip though Click here to enlarge
    What you really want is an A2W intercooler with an AC chiller for the water Heat Exchanger.

They are common on supercharged cars (the Demon has one from the factory) and are extremely effective and make your times very very consistent with literally winter intake temps.
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X
    2007 Subaru STI - 20G/E85 - NF Tuned
    2006 BMW X3 - dog hauler
    2005 Infiniti G35 S - drift beater

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
    What you really want is an A2W intercooler with an AC chiller for the water Heat Exchanger.

They are common on supercharged cars (the Demon has one from the factory) and are extremely effective and make your times very very consistent with literally winter intake temps.
    I did actually watch a video on that. Using power to cool the engine with the ac to make even more power. Quite a funny thought.
    11.74@129 on GCs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2305 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure if anybody else remembers this thing but same principle: