Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

I'm not jealous, But.

Alright,

Currently I've got a 991.2 turbo, 540? hp supposedly underrated, 3516 lbs minimum.

If I choose to void the warranty to make it go faster, it'll make it pretty much worthless.

It currently doesn't go fast enough.

If I wanted to, I could make it so that i got rid of the porsche, I could get a m4 and have about $20k for labour, pure stage 2 turbos, bootmod3, and dct clutches, and my monthly payments would be much lower which would make me much much happier.

I only have access to 94 octane (and 91 ACN crap) no e85, so no huge numbers for free. I will likely never have access to e85.

I haven't driven an m3/m4 yet. I've owned a f10 m5, and a vtt s2b2 turbo 135i with a spec stage 3+ clutch (which is why I sold the car) and meth/jb4, but quite enjoyed driving a bmw especially one with more power.

The porsche has awd though, which I love. But what I hate about the porsche is everyone in traffic just has to be a douche to you, because you are driving a p-car. Its unpleasant. Other than the porsche being kinda slow, and not loud enough, and not holding anything, it's pretty much the perfect car.

Does anyone have the book time on doing turbos and doing the clutches? I think I might have someone local todo clutches, just need any special tools?

The m3 I was looking at has the following:

Premium Package, Executive Package, ConnectedDrive Services Professional, M Double Clutch Transmission, Adaptive M Suspension, Universal Remote Control, Carbon Fibre Trim w/ Black Chrome Highlight, Convenience Telephony w/ Smartphone Connectivity, Speed Limit Info, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Full Merino Leather, M Performance Carbon Package

I was really happy with the full merino leather ( I love leather ) and aside from it needing the matte chrome m3 logo, this is pretty much the ideal car for me.

I kinda wanna go with a 2018 to get the wireless charging and new idrive. maybe one day they'll support android auto.

How do you m3//m4 owners feel, how about the pure stage 2 owners, are you still having fun?

Most importantly, how big of an issue do you feel the crank bolt is on a 2016 with pure stage 2 turbos on pump gas with someone who enjoys punching it at a red light to the speed limit.

How does your m3/m4 hook up with pilot super sports with the upgraded turbos. Or do you just limit boost per gear and call it good.

Is there a 'valvetronic' exhaust that exists? I like one that gets louder above 3k rpm and only then. All my porsche has is a sound tube that opens to let you hear more of the actual engine. cats/muffler are so restrictive. And a new exhaust is like 9k+. ugh. anyway.

I look forward to hearing about just how great the s55 is, and how happy people are with their cars!

(oh, and I'm kinda jealous because s55 has such an amazing community, and so many modding parts to buy that are really awesome, and it goes just so stupid fast on stock internals it seems)
    f82 M4

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You're crazy. You're a crazy person.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    You're crazy. You're a crazy person.
    Funny thing is, this is me medicated.

What do you think Mr Sticky? I know you own a c2 that you tuned. Have you driven a new gen m3/m4 yet?
    f82 M4

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2286 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135Hoser Click here to enlarge
    Funny thing is, this is me medicated.

What do you think Mr Sticky? I know you own a c2 that you tuned. Have you driven a new gen m3/m4 yet?
    I think going from a 991.2 Turbo (which is a 10 second car stock) to an M3 is a huge step backwards. Not only is the platform not as capable, not only is the engine smaller, not only does it lack the traction, not only does it not handle as well, not only does it have poor balance, not only is it heavier, it has an engine known for the spinning crank hub.

If you want to lower payments that is entirely up to you but the M3 is just a souped a 3-Series while the 911 Turbo is the already more capable Porsche 911 on steroids.

I haven't driven a new M3 but I know I don't want one. I'll never go back.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow...first world problem lol

If you want to keep the warranty with 3rd party, TechArt kit will make the TTS 700hp+ range if that's fast enough for you. TechArt will match manufactured warranty from the day you purchased. There is a vid on YouTube.
    Stock 991.2 C2 Manny
    DD e90: MHD+JB4 tuned by Trebila. Old/Do not miss: Stock F82. No launch control needed Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm sorry, but:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c
    Click here to enlarge

Seriously though, there are very few S55s running in the 9s/10s. And to do it is not easy. You sound like you prefer running from a dig on the street, so you can't beat the AWD of the 911T. I think you'll end up disappointed going to a M3/M4.

-Rich

Edit: @<u><a href="http://www.bimmerboost.com/member.php?u=1" target="_blank">Sticky</a></u> the embed video tags don't seem to be working after the upgrade.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why is voiding the warranty on the M3/4 ok but not on the Porsche? Click here to enlarge
    BIG things coming soon Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jyamona@motiv Click here to enlarge
    Why is voiding the warranty on the M3/4 ok but not on the Porsche? Click here to enlarge
    as I understand it, the Porsche motor goes for about 60k USD, plus install/etc and can only be done by the dealer.

I do not have that kinda money to pay to play.

Also I would probably lose about the cost of a used m3 in depreciation the second I disclose to a future buyer the ecu has been flashed.

Modded cars do not sell well here.
    f82 M4

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You clearly aren't happy in the Porsche and you can afford the car that will make you happy. A modified M car. So go get it and stop paying so much to be dissatisfied.

I don't think an M3 or M4 is a step backwards. They are different animals.
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.
    11.75@127 on GCs.
    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, fuel-it stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2286 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c

Edit: NVM, working on the embedding.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2286 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AWSAWS Click here to enlarge
    I don't think an M3 or M4 is a step backwards.
    It is though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2286 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    as I understand it, the Porsche motor goes for about 60k USD, plus install/etc and can only be done by the dealer.
    What exactly is going to happen to the motor? Plus it's easier to reach than the M3/M4 engine.

I just don't get it. The 911 Turbo is a better mod platform with more capability.

If you want speed the Turbo starts out in a much higher state of tune to begin with. An M3 is going to need serious upgrades to catch even a tune only Turbo.

Do what makes you happy though but you just aren't making sense to me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I think going from a 991.2 Turbo (which is a 10 second car stock) to an M3 is a huge step backwards. Not only is the platform not as capable, not only is the engine smaller, not only does it lack the traction, not only does it not handle as well, not only does it have poor balance, not only is it heavier, it has an engine known for the spinning crank hub.

If you want to lower payments that is entirely up to you but the M3 is just a souped a 3-Series while the 911 Turbo is the already more capable Porsche 911 on steroids.

I haven't driven a new M3 but I know I don't want one. I'll never go back.
    This is an excellent summary.

It would not be discussion without adding that the M3/M4 competes with C63/ATS-V/S5.

The 911 Turbo competes with Mclarens/R8s/GTR/ GT R

So if your comfortable with the downgrade at least you'll have 2 useable back seats with the M3/M4 LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Keep the 991 turbo, mod it. Lifes too short to fret about resale like that. Plus I just don't get, and seems dubious, that the value would drop by $40-50K if modded.

or if you can't bring yourself to do it - keep it still, and just buy a cheap race car to mod to the moon, to get your speed fix.
    2009 535i Sport SAT -- JB4 G5 ISO |MHD E85 BEF | VTT GC Lites | VTT Inlets/Outlet |VRSF 3" DP's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It Stage 2 | Fuel-IT TBI |BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 4bar TMAP | Koni FSD | 15mm Rear Spacers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

I have both. A heavily modded 700 whp M4 that runs low 10s (soon to be 9s), and a 991.1 911 Turbo S that I've had for a month.
    I love my M4. Beautiful, full back seat, big trunk. Relatively cheap, big power even after dropping $30k+ in mods and tuning into it.

But the 911 stock with just an off-the-shelf Cobb stage 1 tune ran 10.4 with Toyo R888r rubber. Absolutely sick car. Once modded (next week) and tuned (by magic-man Kevin Baldi), it will do 9s in it's sleep and be stable. Unlike the M4 that's living on the edge (already bent a rod, been down for 5 months, and crank hub always a risk). Turbo S is in a different league. It's a f$&#@n race car. Just begging for basic bolt-ons and tune to reliably do 9s. And you can launch it consecutively 50+ times in a row with no worries. Can't do that with BMW.

Both are truly great cars, but different. If I could only have one and needed a daily driver with a real back seat, the M4/M3 wins. But the AWD P-Car, is the $#@!. Bulletproof, awesome-looking and fast as balls, even stock. Modded, it's an exotic-killer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2286 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The thing is, this doesn't make sense. What is there to be jealous of regarding speed?

Just with a tune on the 991.2 Turbo the M3/M4 will need major upgrades to keep up.

It's not exactly slow to begin with either.

What kind of performance is it you are looking for?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You clearly aren't happy in the Porsche and you can afford the car that will make you happy. A modified M car. So go get it and stop paying so much to be dissatisfied.

I don't think an M3 or M4 is a step backwards. They are different animals.
    I do think it is a bit of a step down, it's half the price. But I would rather free up that cash I spend on a payment for day to day stuff.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blown6 Click here to enlarge
    This is an excellent summary.

It would not be discussion without adding that the M3/M4 competes with C63/ATS-V/S5.

The 911 Turbo competes with Mclarens/R8s/GTR/ GT R

So if your comfortable with the downgrade at least you'll have 2 useable back seats with the M3/M4 LOL
    I 100% agree with you here. I had a 774 rwhp stock frame turbo on pump gas gtr before. The transmission killed it for me though. That was a whole different beast entirely. I'm not so concerned with usable back space.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LessIsMore Click here to enlarge
    Keep the 991 turbo, mod it. Lifes too short to fret about resale like that. Plus I just don't get, and seems dubious, that the value would drop by $40-50K if modded.

or if you can't bring yourself to do it - keep it still, and just buy a cheap race car to mod to the moon, to get your speed fix.
    Well, the dealership quoted me what they would buy the porsche back from me for, just 5 months later, they are initially offering 155k when I paid 190. I would love to keep it and mod it, but I can't even afford an exhaust for it. Let alone an AP or anything like that.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NJ-M4 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

I have both. A heavily modded 700 whp M4 that runs low 10s (soon to be 9s), and a 991.1 911 Turbo S that I've had for a month.
    I love my M4. Beautiful, full back seat, big trunk. Relatively cheap, big power even after dropping $30k+ in mods and tuning into it.

But the 911 stock with just an off-the-shelf Cobb stage 1 tune ran 10.4 with Toyo R888r rubber. Absolutely sick car. Once modded (next week) and tuned (by magic-man Kevin Baldi), it will do 9s in it's sleep and be stable. Unlike the M4 that's living on the edge (already bent a rod, been down for 5 months, and crank hub always a risk). Turbo S is in a different league. It's a f$&#@n race car. Just begging for basic bolt-ons and tune to reliably do 9s. And you can launch it consecutively 50+ times in a row with no worries. Can't do that with BMW.

Both are truly great cars, but different. If I could only have one and needed a daily driver with a real back seat, the M4/M3 wins. But the AWD P-Car, is the $#@!. Bulletproof, awesome-looking and fast as balls, even stock. Modded, it's an exotic-killer.
    Your cars are beautiful. I really enjoy my turbo as a daily driver. I'm not too worried about killing exotics anymore.

The thing is, this doesn't make sense. What is there to be jealous of regarding speed?

Just with a tune on the 991.2 Turbo the M3/M4 will need major upgrades to keep up.

It's not exactly slow to begin with either.

What kind of performance is it you are looking for?
    I'm jealous of the m3/m4 community with all its members, posts, parts to buy, dyno graphs, etc. The porsche is plenty fast and is a treat to drive, I just want out of my monthly obligation and am willing to sacrifice the 911 for that.

For performance I think a pure stage 2 turbo and flash will probably be sufficient. I only have access to 94 octane here, no e85, and race gas if I buy a drum... My indy shop can probably do the turbos, and while they are working on that I can mail out the ecu for bootmod3. It's also rwd so it'll do smoky burn outs which I enjoy doing.

What exactly is going to happen to the motor? Plus it's easier to reach than the M3/M4 engine.

I just don't get it. The 911 Turbo is a better mod platform with more capability.

If you want speed the Turbo starts out in a much higher state of tune to begin with. An M3 is going to need serious upgrades to catch even a tune only Turbo.

Do what makes you happy though but you just aren't making sense to me.
    I don't know whats going to happen with that 3.8L motor. It's probably going to be just fine, But its not a cheap proposition to replace outside of warranty. I know 110% in all respects the 911 is a superior car, except maybe rwd vs awd. I know the m4 will need pure stage 2 turbos, plus a flash tune to keep up with a stock 911 turbo on pump gas. And then the turbo gets a free 60+whp just from a flash tune and is faster than me again.

Basically Sticky, it boils down to I'm suddenly cheap and enjoy pissing away money in the most spectacular way possible. Please forgive me, I'm only human.

Thanks everyone for their thoughts on this. I liked the diversity of opinions. I think I'm still set on getting this m4, but I am also eyeing a c63 thats also in that price range, which would mod well, and is a v8. Even though the m4 with the MPE sounds disgustingly good
    f82 M4

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In addition, I just got off the phone. I was able to get a deal I like worked out. Looks like I own a 2016 m4 now.
    f82 M4

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sell the porsche, get a gtr and start modding.
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.
    11.75@127 on GCs.
    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, fuel-it stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sell the porsche, get a gtr and start modding.
    Had a 774 rwhp gtr on pump gas. it was a lot of fun.
    f82 M4

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2286 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Had a 774 rwhp gtr on pump gas. it was a lot of fun.
    Why did you get rid of it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2286 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Basically Sticky, it boils down to I'm suddenly cheap and enjoy pissing away money in the most spectacular way possible. Please forgive me, I'm only human.
    Do what makes you happy Click here to enlarge

So the Turbo is gone?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why did you get rid of it?
    I really hated the transmission in it.

Do what makes you happy Click here to enlarge

So the Turbo is gone?
    Click here to enlarge Yeah the turbo is gone. I got what I expected to get for it, and a hilarious amount of drama from a competing local BMW dealer too.