Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

7 out of 7 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

VTT Turbo Basics: Blow Off Valve Setup and Surge

Hey guys,

I wrote another article for the collection, this one concerning proper blow off valve setup with upgraded turbos. Additionally, we have a couple of videos explaining a little more about surge, wear, and BOV's. Check it out, I hope you guys like it.

VTT Turbo Thrust 101:

VTT BOV 101:

Screenshots of Article:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

PDF:

VTT BOV.pdf
    Chris - VTT Forum Representative
    Chris@Vargasturbo.com
    www.Vargasturbo.com
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Man, I wish I had this a few years ago. I'm on my third set of upgraded turbos. First set took a crap the worst. After the second set went out, I found a nut in the pipe. I was told to upgrade my BOV port and feed line so I got an EOS manifold and proper port and lines. Helped a bit, but still haven't solved my issue. I'll be ordering an 8# spring, thanks a lot!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Nice videos and it shows cause and effect, which is rarely done. It's one of the good habits of an engineer, which is to prevent failure of a part by testing/diagnosing real world feedback. ( then implementing improvements)

Now for some sarcasm. Im sure on May of 2018, Frankenturbo will discover a disastrous 1/8" line to be covered with at least two pages of graphs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Good info, but Tony's hands....I can't imagine any girl letting him touch her with those things! Lol
    Stuff n thangs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Convert Click here to enlarge
    Good info, but Tony's hands....I can't imagine any girl letting him touch her with those things! Lol
    lol. He's an animal. Women want him. Men want to be him.
    Chris@Vargasturbo.com
    www.Vargasturbo.com
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EJ_Reynolds Click here to enlarge
    Man, I wish I had this a few years ago. I'm on my third set of upgraded turbos. First set took a crap the worst. After the second set went out, I found a nut in the pipe. I was told to upgrade my BOV port and feed line so I got an EOS manifold and proper port and lines. Helped a bit, but still haven't solved my issue. I'll be ordering an 8# spring, thanks a lot!
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ///MPOSTER Click here to enlarge
    Nice videos and it shows cause and effect, which is rarely done. It's one of the good habits of an engineer, which is to prevent failure of a part by testing/diagnosing real world feedback. ( then implementing improvements)

Now for some sarcasm. Im sure on May of 2018, Frankenturbo will discover a disastrous 1/8" line to be covered with at least two pages of graphs.

Thanks guys!
    Chris@Vargasturbo.com
    www.Vargasturbo.com
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    lol. He's an animal. Women want him. Men want to be him.
    and he drinks dos equis haha......thanks for the info....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They love my hands. No girl likes manicured nails, and soft hands....Click here to enlarge
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    N54 1/2Mile World Record: 172.94MPH
    N55 World Record: 11.7ET / 122.7MPH (MT)
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 699WHP / 714WTQ
    N54 Twin Turbo World Record: 847WHP/ 761WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record: 585WHP / 537WTQ
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge Website - Email
    #VTTDOMINATION #VTT #VARGASTURBO #VTTBOUNTY

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    They love my hands. No girl likes manicured nails, and soft hands....Click here to enlarge
    I agree with the bold statement. Clean and unbitten nails are a must for most girls though. Looks like you get quite a bit of brake cleen on your hands too. Left index finger has the classic defatting/cracking on the skin. I used to get that $#@! big time when I was wrenching on cars for a living.
    Stuff n thangs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree with the bold statement. Clean and unbitten nails are a must for most girls though. Looks like you get quite a bit of brake cleen on your hands too. Left index finger has the classic defatting/cracking on the skin. I used to get that $#@! big time when I was wrenching on cars for a living.
    If I am just building turbos, and not wrenching on the shop cars, my hands stay very clean, and do not crack. As soon as I am digging in the $#@!ty crevices of N54 engines bays, they go to $#@! immediately. I prefer turbos...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    If I am just building turbos, and not wrenching on the shop cars, my hands stay very clean, and do not crack. As soon as I am digging in the $#@!ty crevices of N54 engines bays, they go to $#@! immediately. I prefer turbos...
    Lol! Aint that a fact
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What's the vacuum range the orange spring is supporting for Turbosmart ?

i thought it usually comes with the pink springs ....
    RBB@Codewerx

Chart Crafting and Tuning - MHD & JB4 BEF

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Redbeanbun Click here to enlarge
    What's the vacuum range the orange spring is supporting for Turbosmart ?

i thought it usually comes with the pink springs ....
    Orange is their 8 in/hg spring. We have never received a raceport with anything except blue springs pre-installed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Would you recommend 8lb spring for stock turbos with inlets or outlets? The BOV open at idle is ideal?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Recommend it for every N54 regardless of turbos. Open at ideal is 100% fine. No vacuum in the charge pipe, no pressure. The only way anything gets in the BOV is if someone is under the hood, and drops it inside your BOV. If it bothers you, simply get thing washers the same size as the spring, and shim it until it JUST closed. You still get the quick response, and its closed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the info, Tony!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This may be a dumb question, but is the surge you are referencing in the videos at low throttle/boost then release situations or at wot/high boost then release situations?
    2008 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stucks Click here to enlarge
    This may be a dumb question, but is the surge you are referencing in the videos at low throttle/boost then release situations or at wot/high boost then release situations?
    Good question. Low throttle on throttle surge, and lift situations. These billet wheels with extended tips makes a ton of air down low, and it can back up with very small throttle angles such as cruising etc. With this proper spring installed you can actually hear it venting while driving at times, light cruise etc. It seems abnormal but this ais ctually when boost is building up in the charge pipe, and not making it into the manifold due to very small throttle plate opening, the pressure differential becomes too great, and the BOV will vent this backed up pressure while driving. If left unchecked is causing small amounts of on throttle surge (the worst kind) while cruising, and is extremely detrimental to the turbocharger.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good question. Low throttle on throttle surge, and lift situations. These billet wheels with extended tips makes a ton of air down low, and it can back up with very small throttle angles such as cruising etc. With this proper spring installed you can actually hear it venting while driving at times, light cruise etc. It seems abnormal but this ais ctually when boost is building up in the charge pipe, and not making it into the manifold due to very small throttle plate opening, the pressure differential becomes too great, and the BOV will vent this backed up pressure while driving. If left unchecked is causing small amounts of on throttle surge (the worst kind) while cruising, and is extremely detrimental to the turbocharger.
    Ah thanks for the clarification, Tony. While cruising along at very light throttle, i have been driven nuts by my bov constantly venting over and over again and wondering if its abnormal or if there is an issue. Your explanation makes it seem normal and a positive thing rather than a negative. Seems it is overboosting just slightly and the throttle closes, so there is vacuum in the manifold, which opens the bov.
    2008 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stucks Click here to enlarge
    Seems it is overboosting just slightly and the throttle closes, so there is vacuum in the manifold, which opens the bov.
    There may not even be vacuum in the manifold, all it takes is more pressure in the charge pipe, than in the manifold, and enough to over power the spring, which is why going with a light spring is the way to go. With too heavy a spring, that pressure would never be vented in those situations.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The only thing i dont understand in this article is the suggested black tial spring. Wouldnt you want the plain spring to match the vacuum measured at idle/vacuum state????

I thought the black spring is much softer and will leave the bov wide open.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There may not even be vacuum in the manifold, all it takes is more pressure in the charge pipe, than in the manifold, and enough to over power the spring, which is why going with a light spring is the way to go. With too heavy a spring, that pressure would never be vented in those situations.
    Ah that is true. Was thinking about changing it, but now i will leave it alone since it is doing what it should in this situation.
    2008 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Icewall Click here to enlarge
    The only thing i dont understand in this article is the suggested black tial spring. Wouldnt you want the plain spring to match the vacuum measured at idle/vacuum state????

I thought the black spring is much softer and will leave the bov wide open.
    Yes as stated numerous times in this post, and in the video the BOV is OPEN at idle. No vacuum, slight amount or pressure in the charge pipe at idle, the only way anything is getting in there, is if someone goes under the hood, and throws it into your open BOV. IF it still makes you uncomfortable for some reason, simply buy thin washers close to the same size as the spring, and add one at a time until its JUST closed at idle. Using the spring that Tial recommends will result in surge, and an audible delay when lifting. These are facts we have learned through years of testing the N54.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes as stated numerous times in this post, and in the video the BOV is OPEN at idle. No vacuum, slight amount or pressure in the charge pipe at idle, the only way anything is getting in there, is if someone goes under the hood, and throws it into your open BOV. IF it still makes you uncomfortable for some reason, simply buy thin washers close to the same size as the spring, and add one at a time until its JUST closed at idle. Using the spring that Tial recommends will result in surge, and an audible delay when lifting. These are facts we have learned through years of testing the N54.
    I understand what you are saying about surge. I bought the black spring per the recommendation of your article. It is wide open at idle or well really about 3/4.

I jist wanted to make sure thats how its supposed to be (very open).

Im assuming/read that once you are under load it would be closed.

So... Its normal for it to be open a large amount with the black spring?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Icewall Click here to enlarge
    I understand what you are saying about surge. I bought the black spring per the recommendation of your article. It is wide open at idle or well really about 3/4.

I jist wanted to make sure thats how its supposed to be (very open).

Im assuming/read that once you are under load it would be closed.

So... Its normal for it to be open a large amount with the black spring?
    Sorry! Misunderstood your post. Yes its going to be almost all the way open at idle. As soon as you touch the throttle it will snap shut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast