Close

Thread: My 911 project

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

My 911 project

Inspiring by another forum's thread, but then who wouldn't want to make your car lighter and go fast at the same time?, I decided to transform the base 911.2 to what I personally consider my ultimate 911. The goal is to reach 2900 lbs and 500 bhp (certainly don't mind going higher either but 500 is starting point) with the least amount of killing_my_kids_college_funds.

Quick background: my first car was Isuzu I mark that I paid for $500 Click here to enlarge , then Honda Civic (fun car), Audi A4 (too heavy but very nice interior and no steering feel whatsoever), Subaru WRX (had some wonderful time here), BMW 335i (loving it still as of today, my DD), M4 (first M car; bought it without test drove, big mistake. Feel like a little boat in stock form even though torquey and fast). I then sold the M4 and got the base 911 around last Thanksgiving. I still remember I wanted to sleep in the car the night I picked her up. Due to rear engine design and perhaps other magics, the handling of 911 puts smiles on my face instantly.

Phase 1: Weight saving

1. Exhaust: the new SpeedTech complete system (including 2 cats) is about 23 lbs. Stock PSE system is about 42.3 lbs. Weigh saving should be 20 lbs.
    2. Wheels: thinking about Forgeline GA1R open lug wheels. Should be -20 lbs unsprung weight.
    3. Battery: not sure if Voltphreaks 750 would work for 991.2 but that should shave off at least another 10-15 lbs.
    4. Lighter flywheel and clutch: not sure how yet. Besides it might be cost prohibited as I've heard they have something in the $10k range for shorter gears and lighter. Will probably pass until there will be cheaper alternative.

Phase 2: Tuning

1. Cobb/GIAC: hoping they will have something for the base which could yield +80 bhp and some nice torque. Maybe putting few gallons of e85 which won't be a problem.
    2. IPD and headers: will wait out until I will put more miles on the car. Still only 2,200+ miles on her.

I do plan on taking weights and dyno runs before and after. Can't wait.....

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2230 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    The goal is to reach 2900 lbs and 500 bhp (certainly don't mind going higher either but 500 is starting point) with the least amount of killing_my_kids_college_funds.
    2900 pounds???? How??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2230 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Phase 1: Weight saving

1. Exhaust: the new SpeedTech complete system (including 2 cats) is about 23 lbs. Stock PSE system is about 42.3 lbs. Weigh saving should be 20 lbs.
    2. Wheels: thinking about Forgeline GA1R open lug wheels. Should be -20 lbs unsprung weight.
    3. Battery: not sure if Voltphreaks 750 would work for 991.2 but that should shave off at least another 10-15 lbs.
    4. Lighter flywheel and clutch: not sure how yet. Besides it might be cost prohibited as I've heard they have something in the $10k range for shorter gears and lighter. Will probably pass until there will be cheaper alternative.
    Ok, let's take a look here.

What about a rear seat delete?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    On the bench on this one...remembers Asians do fit? My daughter and nieces still fit so maybe later on but not initially.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2230 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    remembers Asians do fit?
    Indeed they do.

The area you would pick up the greatest weight savings is going to lightweight seats and ditching the rear seats but then you are compromising the car a bit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    2900 pounds???? How??
    Is that unrealistic? With backseats deletion and above mods would substract close to 100 lbs. We havent touched carbon fiber hood and sunroof deletion.....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2230 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is that unrealistic? With backseats deletion and above mods would substract close to 100 lbs. We havent touched carbon fiber hood and sunroof deletion.....
    Sunroof deletion is something I would be interested in.

Hell, I hope you pull this off. I'd love to shave 150 pounds or so off the car. I would be VERY happy if I could hit that 31XX range. Thing would be a rocket!