Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

NOZ Turbo Engineering dual ball bearing N54 Hybrid turbochargers

Hi Gents,

I am pleased to announce the forthcoming release of these dual BB billet CNC'd CHRA turbochargers from NOZ Turbo Engineering in partnership with JDTuning. The turbos are 100% direct fit and retain the use of the OEM oil and coolant lines. The ball bearing assembly itself is made in Germany and the billet steel/alloy CHRA is CNC'd in-house by the turbo manufacturer in Taiwan, where all turbo housing machining, assembly and VSR balancing are performed on a state-of-the-art Schenck VSR by expert technicians.

The turbos feature a TD04-15T lightweight billet compressor wheel with extended tip technology, a TD04 (9 blade) turbine wheel for improved efficiency whilst maintaining excellent spool characteristics and transient response.

The entire OEM wastegate assembly has been re-designed to see improvements in the durability of the wastegate flapper arm bush, flapper arm valve, sleeve, actuator arm and the actuator rod connector to eliminate the dreaded N54 wastegate rattle.

With high-flow inlets on straight E85 and the usual array of supporting mods/tuning expertise I believe they will support around 375rwkW @24/25psi of boost pressure as measured on a Dyno Dynamics dyno. The turbo designer has run a set of these on his own 335i pumping a stupid amount of boost for a little TD04 turbine (like 26-28psi) for the last 6,500+ kms in an effort to push these to failure and so far so good. No dyno results from him as yet as he is not a tuner, so he has left that up to me to obtain the dyno numbers and datalogs potential buyers are going to want to see.

We have just completed the installation of the first set of BB turbos in Australia at Advan Performance and dyno results with datalogs will be following shortly. Click here to enlarge

Pricing to be finalised soon thereafter.

Cheers,

Justin.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by JD75; 04-12-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Revision

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hi guys,

here are some specifics relating to the BB cartridge.

Within the ball bearing CHRA there is a heavy-duty preload spring. This preload will help reduce skidding of the bearings under rated acceleration, whilst compensating for wear over time ensuring continued alignment of the bearing race. This feature makes the dual ball bearing CHRA very durable and it can sustain boost pressures of 30+ psi with an extended service life.

Just to be clear I'm not saying that a little TD04 exhaust wheel turbo should be run at 30psi boost levels, clearly this turbo would be way beyond its efficiency range and blowing super heated air, what's important is that the dual BB cartridge can withstand the axial loads generated by high boost pressures along with extreme shaft speeds that would potentially see other JB turbos fail prematurely.

Other key features of the dual BB CHRA are as follows.

- Dual oil seals on both the compressor and turbine housing sides.
    - Custom billet CNC milled CHRA.
    - Completely redesigned CHRA with 250% larger oil and water runner/reservoir. (Patented)
    - Built-in oil restrictor.
    - Direct fitment of the OEM oil/water lines, 100% bolt-on with no modifications required.

Here are some CAD pics that help illustrate the CHRA dual ball bearing design and such.
    Last edited by JD75; 04-11-2017 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Revision

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lastly a few pics of the TD04 9 blade turbine and TD04-15T billet compressor wheel (with extended tip technology) being utilised.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2278 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JD75 Click here to enlarge
    from NOZ Turbo Engineering
    If you don't mind me asking, who is NOZ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This was linked on another forum - http://www.chshturbo.com.tw/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2278 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by neuroclast Click here to enlarge
    Ah, I see, thanks.

But how does the NOZ name play in? Is that what this is being marketed under?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There seems to be quite a lot of new turbo options coming to market lately, specifically with BB. I would be interested in seeing actual results compared to the traditional twins we have seen.
    2007 e92 335i - FBO (mostly)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All these new bb options are from the same manufacturer. Just different people keep coming out saying they are the testers and distributers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Hey Sticky,

NOZ is simply the name chosen as the brand label by the turbo designer/engineer and the owner(s) of the business.

I have been testing their journal bearing turbos in Australia for a while, however back then the brand was known as Marshall Turbos. However following some rather dubious actions by a cheeky fellow in the UK (a then Marshall Turbo dealer) of the same name and all the hoopla that ensued, the owner(s) of the business sore fit to immediately change the name and blacklist this character in the process.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Correct, the turbos themselves are manufactured by CHSH Turbo in Taiwan as per the exacting specifications supplied by NOZ Turbo Engineering.
    Last edited by JD75; 04-11-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Revison

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fredcase Click here to enlarge
    All these new bb options are from the same manufacturer. Just different people keep coming out saying they are the testers and distributers.
    The manufacturer is CHSH Turbo, the designer/engineer behind the product is NOZ.

Similar in the way Zage manufacturer Tony's GC's to his exact specifications.

By different "people" if you mean the other guy who is posting information on a few other forums, he is most definitely NOT an authorised distributor or reseller for these turbos. He was originally a dealer for the UK market, but NOZ and the factory (CHSH Turbo) will no longer be supplying any turbos whatsoever to this guy. Yes he does have a set or two of BB turbos in hand that were supplied to him before he was a naughty boy (lol), but unless he makes magic happen he will not be obtaining any further sets anytime soon, in particular for resale in the US market which is what got him into hot water in the first place.

FYI, NOZ has a contract with CHSH Turbo for the exclusive distribution rights of these turbos within the US, including the BB CHRA itself. This other guy can make all the claims he wants, but he will be found out in due course. I didn't want to call him out in his own threads as that's not my style, information spreads on the web very very quickly. Someone has already questioned his validity in reference to info I posted on an Aussie forum and his response was rather interesting, so I'm just going to let this guy dig his own grave...

Oh one more thing, this guy hasn't designed, built, tested or R&D'd $#@!. His claims that the BB turbos are manufactured in the UK by ML Performance are total nonsense and 100% completely a lie. Feel free to call him out on this and see what he says, I'm sure his response will be just as creative as before, haha.
    Last edited by JD75; 04-11-2017 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Revision

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey Sticky,

NOZ is simply the name chosen as the brand label by the turbo designer/engineer and the owner(s) of the business.

I have been testing their journal bearing turbos in Australia for a while, however back then the brand was known as Marshall Turbos. However following some rather dubious actions by a cheeky fellow in the UK (a then Marshall Turbo dealer) of the same name and all the hoopla that ensued, the owner(s) of the business sore fit to immediately change the name and blacklist this character in the process.
    Looks like this guy - http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...th-OEM-fitment ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For what it's worth I would very much just like to focus on discussing the product, obviously there is a lot of confusion regrading the release of these BB turbos. I have said my 2 cents regarding the other guy who is making similar claims, but I'll let people draw their on conclusions now that the facts are out there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

This is interesting. I was following that other thread and it was odd how little information was provided; now it makes more sense. Looking forward to seeing how these develop and hoping the price is reasonable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here are a couple of data logs of the BB turbos installed on a 335i that belongs to the owner of NOZ.

http://datazap.me/u/jd/noz-turbo-eng...a=3-5-21-25-28

http://datazap.me/u/jd/noz-turbo-eng...a=3-5-21-25-28

Before anyone comments on the spool speed of these turbos, I'm not at all familiar with the tune on this car, so I can't comment if it has been optimised for optimum spool speed nor do I know if the vehicle is in tip top shape mechanically. I'll make sure all those bases are covered when I tune a customer's car in the next day or two, the installation of the BB turbos at Advan Performance is now complete just need to find the time to get the car on the dyno as the workshop is extremely busy coming up to the Easter long weekend, sigh...

But for what it's worth I am not marketing these turbos as ultra fast spooling, what excites me the most about the dual ball bearing CHRA is the ability of the cartridge to sustain high boost pressure targets over an extended service life and not fall over like a JB hybrid turbo is unfortunately prone to doing, well that's the theory anyway. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by JD75; 04-12-2017 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Revision

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Who is doing the tuning? Any info on tuning would be interesting. Do they use MHD? Spool mode?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Who is doing the tuning? Any info on tuning would be interesting. Do they use MHD? Spool mode?
    The owner's car is running a custom flash tune, but at the time the flash tune was written he didn't disclose he was using a yet to announced BB turbo, as the whole project was meant to be kept under wraps and not become public knowledge, wink wink.

But I'll be tuning the customer's car on the dyno tomorrow, it will be using a JB4 with a generic BMS Pump gas back-end-flash (with octane booster in the tank) for the moment.

As I said earlier I'm less concerned about spool speed and more interested in the reliability of the turbo at high sustained boost levels, hopefully this is where the BB CHRA will shine in comparison to JB turbos that can have reliability issues when pushed to the edge of their efficiency maps. I do know for a fact that the turbos on the owner's 335i have been pushed very hard just for the sake of doing so and there have been zero problems to date after some 6,500km. The turbos are also coming off the car this week for a strip down and thorough inspection by CHSH, to see how well they have truly fared being pushed hard on a daily basis at 26psi of boost pressure or more. I am told for a period of time they were also targeting 28/29psi which is crazy (lol), but we are trying to see if we can blow these things up to avoid the customer having to find the limits of these...
    Last edited by JD75; 04-12-2017 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Revision

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2278 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fredcase Click here to enlarge
    Ok but he's also saying they have their own specifications, right? So even if the turbos are all BB or whatever they can vary, right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2278 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    his other guy can make all the claims he wants, but he will be found out in due course. I didn't want to call him out in his own threads as that's not my style, information spreads on the web very very quickly. Someone has already questioned his validity in reference to info I posted on an Aussie forum and his response was rather interesting, so I'm just going to let this guy dig his own grave...

I don't even know who you are referring to but I think what people will want to see is data and results.

If you have been testing these for a while that is a good thing.

Edit: Nvm, referring to that UK guy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

All this bull$#@! already and the $#@!ing turbos aren't even released? N54 owners have "gullible dip$#@!" written on their foreheads or what?

Edit: "Just released" Click here to enlarge
    2010 N54 - DocRace - Motiv - CKI - TCKR - Volk - ER - CSF - Vorsteiner

Click here to enlarge

Daily - '11 F02, 22" HR springs+links Click here to enlarge N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hope you're charging less than this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snail-Turbo-...-/142289471384
    Australian 2008 135i 6MT | JB4 G5 ISO | Fuel-It Stage 1 TB Injection | BMR kittyless DPs | RPi GT Race Quad Exhaust | 7" HPF FMIC | DCI | ER Charge Pipe | Tial BOV | Custom backend flash | 2-Step & NLS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bull$#@! is what happens when charlatan's jump on forums and mouth off about a product that isn't their place or right to do so. In this case it has forced the manufacturer and distributor to put things right and talk about these turbo's slightly ahead of plan. That includes a complete name change because of the nefarious antics of the ex-UK distributor. Who knows what this guy will be up to next but he has no backing from the manufacturer at all.

I know JD75 has been heavily involved with development and testing of the Beta turbo's for over a year now. The data on these NOZ BBs looks very encouraging for the platform. About time there is an offering that will last longer than the journal bearing stuff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Between this and the thread on myjb4isbroke.com I'm pulling red cards on all of you. Any real business people in these two entities? They need to get their attorneys on this and quit airing this out in your markets forums
    2010 N54 - DocRace - Motiv - CKI - TCKR - Volk - ER - CSF - Vorsteiner

Click here to enlarge

Daily - '11 F02, 22" HR springs+links Click here to enlarge N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135i2 Click here to enlarge
    Bull$#@! is what happens when charlatan's jump on forums and mouth off about a product that isn't their place or right to do so. In this case it has forced the manufacturer and distributor to put things right and talk about these turbo's slightly ahead of plan. That includes a complete name change because of the nefarious antics of the ex-UK distributor. Who knows what this guy will be up to next but he has no backing from the manufacturer at all.

I know JD75 has been heavily involved with development and testing of the Beta turbo's for over a year now. The data on these NOZ BBs looks very encouraging for the platform. About time there is an offering that will last longer than the journal bearing stuff.
    One correction with regards the above if I may, I have been actively testing and aiding in the development of the Stage 1.5 and Stage 2.0 journal bearing turbos for around 9 months, but I only just got my hands on a set of the dual ball bearing turbochargers.
    Last edited by JD75; 04-13-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R.G. Click here to enlarge
    Between this and the thread on myjb4isbroke.com I'm pulling red cards on all of you. Any real business people in these two entities? They need to get their attorneys on this and quit airing this out in your markets forums
    Honestly mate I can't be held responsible for the actions of a guy that doesn't know when to quit, as stated before I would much rather be launching the product without the confusion and circus this guy has created.

I don't feel attorneys will be necessary here, I know exactly where these BB turbos are being manufactured, NOZ and myself have exclusive distribution rights within the US market. Procedures have been put into place to prevent the sale of these turbos within Taiwan for the purpose of export to the US, yes they are available from a couple of turbo dealers in Taiwan but the dealers will be required to supply information on the sale directly to CHSH Turbo to ensure they are not leaving Asia and headed for the US.
    Last edited by JD75; 04-13-2017 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Revison

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast