Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Custom TCU flashing

I tried my first custom TCU flash today. I started with a 7603537 backup file and changed the following:
    - Changed the last torque breakpoints (450nm on ongoing tables. 498nm on offgoing tables) to 600nm and extrapolated (increased) the shift pressure to follow the same curve.
    - Changed all D mode shift maps to the average of the stock and Alpina shift points. I find stock D mode shift points a little too high and Alpina a little too low so this should be pretty spot on for me.
    The thing I have disliked the most about the transmission behaviour is the dead zone during a 1st to 2nd shift. It felt almost like it decoupled in to neutral for half a second then banged into 2nd (not really that bad but that's the sensation). Both target and actual boost also dropped to nothing during the shift. With that in mind, I also did the following:
    - Further increased M mode 1>2 shift pressure from 270nm upwards
    - Reduced the "Timespan ongoing clutch transition HS 1>2" at higher torque by 20ms
    I flashed it and tested it today. Wow! D mode is just perfect and the 1st to 2nd decoupling feeling is completely gone! Next will be to do similar to 2>3, 3>4 etc.
    TCU flashing still has a long way to come. Most of the difference between stock and Alpina files are not defined in the XDF, some of which is delibrate by RBT Tuning I guess to keep an advantage with the OTS maps. The biggest disappointment is that the torque limiter has been withheld from the XDF and I spend 3.5 hours today trying to find it today without success. It looks like it must use a different conversion formula to other references to torque in the XDF. Click here to enlarge

Here's a log showing no loss of boost during 1st to 2nd change. I could probably fish out an old log showing the issue but I've got over 100 logs and can't remember which ones I did a standing start on.

http://datazap.me/u/bradsm87/rev42-t...5&zoom=798-876

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What can we do to help you with the torque limiter and developing this further?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    What can we do to help you with the torque limiter and developing this further?
    Any ZF 6HP OLS, DAMOS or map pack could possibly have some good clues. Doesn't matter if it's for a BMW, Ford, VAG or whatever application. It might hold the clues to the conversion used for the torque limiter.

I might have a chat to Nizpro tomorrow just to touch base and see if they'd be keen to share any info.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2241 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bradsm87 Click here to enlarge
    I might have a chat to Nizpro tomorrow just to touch base and see if they'd be keen to share any info.
    I seriously doubt they will as they probably see it as a threat.

Let me see what I can do to help you.

If you guys have any of those map packs, upload them or send them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As xHP and Nizpro have both found out, there are no similarities between any available map pack from other 6HP versions vs. BMW's.

xHP manually discovered all the tables themselves by reversing the assembly code and logging.
    BIG things coming soon Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jyamona@motiv Click here to enlarge
    As xHP and Nizpro have both found out, there are no similarities between any available map pack from other 6HP versions vs. BMW's.

xHP manually discovered all the tables themselves by reversing the assembly code and logging.
    DWR keeps hinting to buy a map pack to find many clues. There is a BMW 8HP one which he made mention of. Even if it has the conversions, it'd help find the torque limiter, knowing that the torque limiter is different between stock and Alpina.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    DWR keeps hinting to buy a map pack to find many clues. There is a BMW 8HP one which he made mention of. Even if it has the conversions, it'd help find the torque limiter, knowing that the torque limiter is different between stock and Alpina.
    I'm very surprised xHP did not release this table in their XDF. Did you email them about it? I would ask them, as it is the one people are really going to care most about on this platform.
    BIG things coming soon Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

bradsm87 pm'd

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    673 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not been following this trans flash project... Can you change your shift points to say 5800rpm, or 7200rpm? If so awesome news! Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

On a Facebook post from January it looked that had discovered this table. Maybe that was only for the diesel versions? I looked through the XDF on their website and don't see the table exposed either. Maybe they raised the limit in the OTS maps but its just not yet available in the XDF to do our own custom maps? See this screenshot

Click here to enlarge
    2009 335i AT xdrive E90 Sedan
    Custom Xhp trans flash
    BQ Tuning Custom 93 Octane Tune
    FBO + Inlets

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Not been following this trans flash project... Can you change your shift points to say 5800rpm, or 7200rpm? If so awesome news! Click here to enlarge
    For us stock turbo goes would definitely be nice to lower the "redline". Be nice to have it upshift @ WOT in D and S mode closer to 6,000 RPMs before the turbos run out of steam. Would help with downshifts too. Even with the kickdown switch disabled, in certain scenarios it will down shift too much and land you at a lower gear, at a very high RPM.
    Custom Xhp trans flash
    FBO + Inlets

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    673 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mfish Click here to enlarge
    On a Facebook post from January it looked that had discovered this table. Maybe that was only for the diesel versions? I looked through the XDF on their website and don't see the table exposed either. Maybe they raised the limit in the OTS maps but its just not yet available in the XDF to do our own custom maps? See this screenshot
    There is no torque limiter of 500nm on the flash end...So that table might represent the maximum torque the trans needs to see before it goes max line pressure. I recall it being around 500nm.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Click here to enlarge
    Yes that's the table. Our values in it may differ but the location should be the same. xHP have chosen to withhold many tables from the public XDF to keep an advantage to their OTS maps. Torque limiter, paddle shift delay, downshift rev match control and goodness knows how many others that may be vital to good shifting. I'm very disappointed to tell the truth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jyamona@motiv Click here to enlarge
    I'm very surprised xHP did not release this table in their XDF. Did you email them about it? I would ask them, as it is the one people are really going to care most about on this platform.
    They're not even sharing advice or answering tuning questions that might threaten their OTS maps, let alone release more maps. I've emailed them and also offered to get a donation fund together for more maps. They're standing firm.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...125073&page=95

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm a little confused. I thought they were only doing the diesels at this time? I signed up to be on of their N54 beta testers but haven't heard anything.

When are they coming out with OTS maps for N54/55?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ferocity02 Click here to enlarge
    I'm a little confused. I thought they were only doing the diesels at this time? I signed up to be on of their N54 beta testers but haven't heard anything.

When are they coming out with OTS maps for N54/55?
    Can flash now but no OTS maps for at least another month, probably longer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can flash now but no OTS maps for at least another month, probably longer.
    Are you one of the beta testers or did you maybe backup your map with the app and then edit it with the XDF file from their website?
    Custom Xhp trans flash
    FBO + Inlets

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They're not even sharing advice or answering tuning questions that might threaten their OTS maps, let alone release more maps. I've emailed them and also offered to get a donation fund together for more maps. They're standing firm. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...125073&page=95
    This is purely speculation but maybe after the n54 / n55 maps come out of beta and they make their money, they'll open up more tables in the XDF. I'd love all the tables too but I understand they probably don't want folks making custom maps now before they've even officially released the OTS maps and possibly reducing demand.
    Custom Xhp trans flash
    FBO + Inlets

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are you one of the beta testers or did you maybe backup your map with the app and then edit it with the XDF file from their website?
    I backed up my Alpina, flashed stock bin with WinKFP and backed that up too for reference and comparison then edited the Alpina backup using the XDF and defined the torque breakpoints in the XDF.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is purely speculation but maybe after the n54 / n55 maps come out of beta and they make their money, they'll open up more tables in the XDF. I'd love all the tables too but I understand they probably don't want folks making custom maps now before they've even officially released the OTS maps and possibly reducing demand.
    It's possible but they've said pretty clearly that they don't intend to do so :-(

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The first step it to get this file:

BMW_8HPXY_AT50012_Z0BA6800_J680A F25-N47D20O1-EUR-Original.ols

It's usually sold as part of map packs that people want too much money for.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    673 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So this flash lets you change the shift points or not?
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I backed up my Alpina, flashed stock bin with WinKFP and backed that up too for reference and comparison then edited the Alpina backup using the XDF and defined the torque breakpoints in the XDF.
    So conceivably if you were willing to share your modified Alpina bin, could I flash that on my car using the xhp app now? Or do I need that other file you mentioned?
    Custom Xhp trans flash
    FBO + Inlets

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    So this flash lets you change the shift points or not?
    Yes shift points can be changed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So conceivably if you were willing to share your modified Alpina bin, could I flash that on my car using the xhp app now? Or do I need that other file you mentioned?
    My understanding is that it is best to back up the Alpina flash from your car then copy across the modified tables because there are parts that are specific to your car. That's xHP's recommendation. I still have a lot more to do with the file though. My MFactory LSD bolt(s) fell out (A fault that MFactory have acknowledged) so I'm pulling the diff out one night this week and have to send it away so no more testing for a couple of weeks.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast