Close

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    109,351
    Rep Points
    27,198.6
    Mentioned
    1836 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    272


    Reputation: Yes | No

    BMW Z2 is coming with turbo 1.6 liter 4 cylinder power

    Carmagazine is reporting that a Z2 Roadster with a soft top is confirmed for 2012. The downscaling of the BMW brand continues to sell as many cars to as many people as possible. The motor will be a new 1.6 liter turbo with around 200 horsepower. This likely will be a fun car to drive with a targeted 2200 pound curb weight and the rendering is interesting. They are also considering an electric version. Will get an M version of this as well? If we do, just expect it to be the same thing with more boost. More details as they come.

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Houses
    Posts
    891
    Rep Points
    386.0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    This is relevant to my interests. If you can squeeze another 100hp out of that engine and the car will have good weight distribution, that will be a nice track toy.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    109,351
    Rep Points
    27,198.6
    Mentioned
    1836 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    272



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yomama69 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is relevant to my interests. If you can squeeze another 100hp out of that engine and the car will have good weight distribution, that will be a nice track toy.
    I don't believe for a minute they will hit that curb weight. Mid 2500's would be a miracle, even so, talk about a fun car to toss around. It will be easy to get more power of that motor, 100 hp is within reason.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,215
    Rep Points
    1,136.0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Reputation: Yes | No
    2500?? that would still be amazing.....just need a quick tune...and there we have it. Click here to enlarge

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hanover, MD
    Posts
    1,222
    Rep Points
    691.0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    BMW Miata? Not my cup of tea
    Click here to enlarge

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,609
    Rep Points
    3,230.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I like this idea a lot, the only thing remotely close to BMW pedigree. Looks good in my book.

    Like others have said, throw a JB3 in it with exhaust and you can have a track ready little roadster.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    2,997
    Rep Points
    1,193.8
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Reputation: Yes | No
    They need to do this, but with a straight 6.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    116
    Rep Points
    67.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Even Miatas are about 2500lbs. 2200 lbs would require some serious aluminum/cf.

    This would be very fun on a track with a tuned 1.6.
    2009 335i: PROcede V4 with BMS DCI (still not sure how they get along!)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    109,351
    Rep Points
    27,198.6
    Mentioned
    1836 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    272



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Doug007 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even Miatas are about 2500lbs. 2200 lbs would require some serious aluminum/cf.

    This would be very fun on a track with a tuned 1.6.
    They are saying they will use various exotic materials but when push comes to shove and the bean counters get in the way it won't happen.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,609
    Rep Points
    3,230.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I dont care what they do, make it RWD.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,660
    Rep Points
    -590.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont care what they do, make it RWD.
    i'm with you on that

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    103
    Rep Points
    66.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Agree about the weight -- 2200 lbs would be a miracle. And make the M2 an I6 please.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    109,351
    Rep Points
    27,198.6
    Mentioned
    1836 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    272



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ersin Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree about the weight -- 2200 lbs would be a miracle. And make the M2 an I6 please.
    Make a it a V8 if we are dreaming.

    I wouldn't mind seeing a tweaked 4 cylinder turbo in it, something modified to be worthy of M branding though.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    103
    Rep Points
    66.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I disagree. I think it would be hard to maintain the "balance" (for lack of a better word) of the car with a V8 in it. Think of the old Shelby Cobra. Lots of power but unusable. Plus, if there's one thing BMW does right, it's arguably an inline 6. I really prefer the S65 in my M3 now, but the S54 in the E46 M3 was a thing of beauty. I can't help but think of how the E46 M3 might have been with a loss of a few hundred pounds. If they could have that kind of engine in a 2200 lb (ahem) M2 then, well, I think it would be the start of another really great M car; something that will be remembered as one of the best.

    Now put the S65 V8 in the Z4M and we're talking epic too. But that would make too much sense for BMW M nowadays. I pray they'll find a way to make these NA motors conform to the new emissions standards. Alas, with all the emphasis on forced induction, I fear we won't see anymore high-revving, NA engines from BMW for a while.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    109,351
    Rep Points
    27,198.6
    Mentioned
    1836 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    272



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ersin Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree. I think it would be hard to maintain the "balance" (for lack of a better word) of the car with a V8 in it
    Why? S65 weighs 30 pounds more than the N54 and ~32 pounds less than the S54.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    109,351
    Rep Points
    27,198.6
    Mentioned
    1836 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    272



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ersin Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now put the S65 V8 in the Z4M and we're talking epic too.
    AMEN, I can't believe this hasn't been done yet.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    720
    Rep Points
    610.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I would give my nut for a Shelby Cobra.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    109,351
    Rep Points
    27,198.6
    Mentioned
    1836 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    272



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would give my nut for a Shelby Cobra.
    Original eh? Plenty of replicas available.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    720
    Rep Points
    610.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Original eh? Plenty of replicas available.
    I drove my Uncles 1968 Shelby GT500 in high school.he let me have it for Fri and Sat nights. Yeepy yai eh MFs!!!Click here to enlarge

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    103
    Rep Points
    66.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why? S65 weighs 30 pounds more than the N54 and ~32 pounds less than the S54.
    I meant power-wise. That's why I put the "balance" in quotes. I'm talking about the overall balance of the car. Can a car that weighs so little put down all that power? I would look at a Z2 as a really fun car to drive on the road. Tracking, of course, would be different. But on the streets, I'm wondering if so much power would really be that much fun or if it would leave your hands full, like a real race car would.

    Then again, on this forum, I ought to be that surprised that you didn't say turbo'ed V10. Click here to enlarge

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    103
    Rep Points
    66.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I drove my Uncles 1968 Shelby GT500 in high school.he let me have it for Fri and Sat nights. Yeepy yai eh MFs!!!Click here to enlarge
    That's certainly one niche where you'd be hard pressed to beat a Cobra: Fri and Sat night cruising.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    109,351
    Rep Points
    27,198.6
    Mentioned
    1836 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    272



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ersin Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can a car that weighs so little put down all that power? I would look at a Z2 as a really fun car to drive on the road. Tracking, of course, would be different. But on the streets, I'm wondering if so much power would really be that much fun or if it would leave your hands full, like a real race car would.
    Well, that is what is nice about the low torque motor with very linear power. I would argue with the S65 it would be easier to control than with an N54.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ersin Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Then again, on this forum, I ought to be that surprised that you didn't say turbo'ed V10.
    Twin turbo stroked V10 Click here to enlarge

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    103
    Rep Points
    66.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, that is what is nice about the low torque motor with very linear power. I would argue with the S65 it would be easier to control than with an N54.



    Twin turbo stroked V10 Click here to enlarge
    Now you got me thinking. That smooth, high-revvin' 400 hp V8 in a 2200 lb two seater would be sweet. Just keep it normally aspirated and put a really nice exhaust system on it. I bet the sounds you'd hear with the top down with be worth gold.

    But I wouldn't discount putting the ole S54 with it's raspy snarl in it either. I think either engine would make for one really memorable BMW. Too bad it aint gonna happen.

    Maybe a quad-turbo, stroked, nitrous-injected W-16 with active aerodynamics on the car would hit the spot. Click here to enlarge No?

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,660
    Rep Points
    -590.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    ^ how about a jet engine?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    103
    Rep Points
    66.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Forget the jet. Let's strap five of these on:

    Click here to enlarge

    You only get two and a half minutes of running. But damn, those two and half minutes are going to be memorable.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •