Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2086 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Epic Evo Engine Build - Incredible Engineering

Saw this on another forum (bf.c) and it just blew me away, had to share it for the power hungry here who appreciate a top build:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ted B Click here to enlarge
    Every now and then I come across something truly impressive. This represents some of the work of Extreme Tuners in Athens, Greece, and the name is no joke. Pushing limits requires funds and skill, and these guys have both. All they do is build and tune engines. The entire lengthy discussion can be found here (http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-dyn...ne-2007-a.html), but unless you feel like reading quite a few pages of posts, I'll post the highlights here.

FWIW, this is some of what they've done:

2006 - N/A ford cosworth 4cylinder 16v engine 119cui: 416hp -11,900rpms
    2007 - Ford cosworth 4cylinder 16v Turbo engine 120cui: 1280hp 47psi (custom triple ball bearing 80mm turbo 119lbs/min)
    2007 Mitsubishi Evo 8 4g63 4cylinder 16v Turbo engine: 1416hp 57psi (custom quad ball bearing 82mm turbo 132lbs/min)

So, getting 700whp/L from 2.0L @ 8500rpm is no small feat, but what do you need if you get bored and want to shoot for 2000whp?

Cast Garrett compressor wheels (right) tend to come apart above 50 psi. CNC billet aluminum wheels (middle) are stronger, but why not be different and use your own CNC billet titanium (left) compressor?
    Click here to enlarge

You'll need a turbo big enough for the job, which in this case is a 108mm twinscroll T4 turbo, with custom quad ball bearing CHRA and 100psi capability.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

To get enough airflow at 12,000rpm(!) to get the job done, you'll need a skillfully ported head, complete with titanium valves and copper-beryllium valve seats:
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

And you're going to need a set of camshafts to handle the rpm and withstand tremendous ramp pressures, so why not a set of hollow titanium billets with DLC at only 234 grams each?

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

And since there is no aftermarket rod up to the task, just ask for a set of billet mmcs-titanium connecting rods at 286g each. Rod/Stroke ratio is 2.07:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

For pistons, a set of custom beryllium pistons with DLC fits the bill, and since methanol is the fuel, 13:1 SCR is fine:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

A strong piston pin is needed as well:

Click here to enlarge

Toss in a custom titanium billet crank:

Click here to enlarge

A set of 9000cc/min injectors:

Click here to enlarge

And since a factory 4G63 block probably wouldn't hold up, just CNC machine your own from billet aluminum:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

No head gasket is used:

Click here to enlarge

And to put all that power to the gearbox, one needs a suitable multiplate clutch:

Click here to enlarge

Yes, it is smaller than a cam gear:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

An example of very efficient turbo manifold design from one of their recent projects:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

And last but not least, a dynosheet from this car, running 'only' 48psi and hydraulic cams:

Click here to enlarge

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow....just WOW....Everytime I feel like I've seen the limits of a certain engine, Sticky seems to find something that blows my mind...I wonder how much it cost to build all that...?
    BimmerBoost's Resident n00b...Click here to enlarge

Titanium Silver 2003 335 Ci || Premium Package || Sport Package || SOLD
    Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    that clutch is absolutely incredible. Awesome find, and lets hope some videos surface Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Amazing. Only thing missing is the cost. Any idea?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    holy $#@!, on top of all the other titanium bits, a billet titanium crank? but why beryllium pistons? high heat capability? isnt beryllium known as kinda brittle, wont knock or some other issue make it really go pop? god damn they weren't kidding when they said you gotta pay to play... i cannot wait to hear the build cost.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This IS really awesome, but it isn't really a 4g63 anymore, not even the block is shared now. (but I know it's a copy and very similar)

Those rods look insanely beefy vs stock, and the headwork is just beautiful.

I wonder how fast it will empty a 5gal tank of methanol at full boost.........

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That clutch just doesnt look like it will physically hold 2000 whp. I just cant believe it...

I would donate a lung to see videos.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2086 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    but why beryllium pistons? high heat capability? isnt beryllium known as kinda brittle,
    I don't know much of anything about beryllium other than it sounds so damn cool and looks sweet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2086 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    but it isn't really a 4g63 anymore, not even the block is shared now.
    So what though? It is basically a 4g63 just with a way stronger billet aluminum block custom made. I want a billet aluminum block.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2086 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GT3 Click here to enlarge
    Amazing. Only thing missing is the cost. Any idea?
    No idea... beryllium doesn't sound cheap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So what though? It is basically a 4g63 just with a way stronger billet aluminum block custom made. I want a billet aluminum block.
    I'm just saying, it's not really a 4g63, which is manufactured by Mitsubishi. I'm not saying it is a bad thing or I wouldn't want it. They basically built their entire own drag motor, just using the 4g63 as cookie cutter to shape their own.

Either way it is awesome. I wonder what the real limit of the 4g63 block is.....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2086 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    just using the 4g63 as cookie cutter to shape their own.
    I don't think cookie cutter applies, the 4g63 block has to serve as the base as they are still using the heads, valvetrain, and everything else designed for it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't think cookie cutter applies, the 4g63 block has to serve as the base as they are still using the heads, valvetrain, and everything else designed for it.
    Kind of. The head casting is by Mitsubishi, so I'll give you that. All of the valve-train has been swapped though, and some crazy porting has been done. "Everything else" like the crank, rods, wrist pins, pistons, maybe bearings and clutch are all custom aftermarket too. Obviously it is still an EVO, but the only thing 4g63 about it is the head material and overall shape.

Let's just say it's a 4g63 hybrid clone. Click here to enlarge

There was a guy building a 4000HP "Acura Intergra". He was basically using half of an aluminium Top Fuel block. It was a nitro-methane/alcohol fueled 4.8L I4 in a tube-frame drag chassis.

The only thing Acura about it was the symbol painted on the body.

Obviously this build is closer to an actual EVO. I just don't want people running around saying the 4g63 made 2,000+WHP, when really it was a one-off custom block that held it together.

As I said, I'm curious to what a "real" 4g63 block can actually hold without coming apart. I'm also curious to see the final output of this monster!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2086 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Kind of. The head casting is by Mitsubishi, so I'll give you that. All of the valve-train has been swapped though, and some crazy porting has been done. "Everything else" like the crank, rods, wrist pins, pistons, maybe bearings and clutch are all custom aftermarket too. Obviously it is still an EVO, but the only thing 4g63 about it is the head material and overall shape.
    Of course, but it still is that architecture just beefed up to the point where you are going to be ditching a lot of OEM parts.

There was a guy building a 4000HP "Acura Intergra". He was basically using half of an aluminium Top Fuel block. It was a nitro-methane/alcohol fueled 4.8L I4 in a tube-frame drag chassis.

The only thing Acura about it was the symbol painted on the body.
    That is a bit different though.

Obviously this build is closer to an actual EVO. I just don't want people running around saying the 4g63 made 2,000+WHP, when really it was a one-off custom block that held it together.
    People will, when it comes to car modding there are a lot of people like that. Unfortunately all you can do is try to explain it to them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Just for fun here is a link to that "Max-4" build. It is pretty insane.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/02...gra/index.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    There is a huge grey area as to when you can consider a car NOT 'the' car it originally was.

Does putting a tune on a BMW still make it a legit BMW? I think we all would agree that it would.

What happens if you get aftermarket turbos on said BMW? Hmmm, I guess it still is the same 'engine' right? Well where do you draw the line?

If you ever follow funny car racing, you'll see announcers say "dodge charger vs. ford mustang". They both run in the low 6 sec 1/4 mile with custom billet cranks, blocks, cocks etc... The only thing still chevy or ford left on them is the badge. I once did see that acura slicktop was talking about, there wasn't really anything left of the car except for maybe 2 body panels and the badge.

So where do you draw the line? We can clearly agree that said engine in this thread is not an evo engine. It may have the same bore spacing, valve angles (although that might even be different, $#@! who knows?), and a couple basic engine characerstics the same; but all said and done its a custom engine.

There is no discrete way to say which mods are the threshold between custom built and factory. But I think it's safe to say once you go custom block, the soul has been removed. I am pretty relaxed with this labeling of 'custom', I would consider almost any car as being 'the original car' i.e. mustang, BMW, chevy etc... as long as you keep the block and chassis.

The rest of the parts, $#@! it; go big or go home.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Block and chassis sounds good to me! Great way to sum it up. So I would consider this a "hybrid". Evo chassis with a custom block using a 4g63 head.

I wonder what they have done to the chassis and body considering how far they went with the power-train.......

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Probably tubular and cage with minitubs. lollerskates

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2086 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I want beryllium engine parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Beryllium is not a very strong material Sticky, I dont know why they said they have Beryllium pistons. It's a stiff material but has low tensile strength. It actually is 'sweet' to the taste but toxic, back in the day people would taste the metal to make sure it's real beryllium if they were ever in doubt.

It weighs about 1.8 g/cm3, iron is about 7.8 g/cm3 so beryllium is pretty light but I have never seen it used in such a strenuous application such as a piston. Maybe they meant it was some type of coating or heavy additive, but hard to believe it is solid beryllium... Maybe someone else can shed light on these pistons.

I forgot to add it has good thermal qualities, such as low thermal expansions and high heat capacity which might be some reasons why you'd want to use this material. But I still find it hard to justify using solid beryllium pistons.
    Last edited by DBFIU; 12-27-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    holy $#@!, on top of all the other titanium bits, a billet titanium crank? but why beryllium pistons? high heat capability? isnt beryllium known as kinda brittle, wont knock or some other issue make it really go pop? god damn they weren't kidding when they said you gotta pay to play... i cannot wait to hear the build cost.

beryllium is the most heat resistant metal in the world. They use it on the bottoms of space shuttles. for when they come back into orbit. I did a report on it in 5th grade Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well the more heat they can get out of the combustion chamber the more boost they can run, but if it is really weak then maybe they created an alloy? Or like DBFIU said maybe it is coated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2086 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Beryllium is not a very strong material Sticky, I dont know why they said they have Beryllium pistons. It's a stiff material but has low tensile strength. It actually is 'sweet' to the taste but toxic, back in the day people would taste the metal to make sure it's real beryllium if they were ever in doubt.
    But it sounds cool...

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    It weighs about 1.8 g/cm3, iron is about 7.8 g/cm3 so beryllium is pretty light but I have never seen it used in such a strenuous application such as a piston. Maybe they meant it was some type of coating or heavy additive, but hard to believe it is solid beryllium... Maybe someone else can shed light on these pistons.
    Likely a coating, makes more sense.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just noticed the pistons are Beryllium with Diamond Like Coating, so maybe that strengthens them? Is the piston really receiving most of the force or isn't that transmitted through the wrist pin to the rod to the bearing to the crank? One thing is for sure, they aren't going to warp or melt easily......

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge
    beryllium is the most heat resistant metal in the world. They use it on the bottoms of space shuttles. for when they come back into orbit. I did a report on it in 5th grade Click here to enlarge
    I am pretty sure they are carbon-carbon tiles. Beryllium has a high thermal conductivity (almost that of aluminum) which is something you would not want on the bottom of the shuttle as it gets to 3000 F Click here to enlarge I am pretty sure those tiles are a refractory material like some kind of ceramic or carbon etc...

Are you sure you didnt get an F on that report lol

Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast