Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Evolve Eventuri Intakes || Review, DIY, Datalogs

Hey guys!

Well after drooling over the Evolve Eventuri intakes, i finally went ahead and purchased them. A lil over a month since i got my Evolve Tune, so the modding engine bug has def. bit me.. Spent last few days installing the intake kit myself, driving it, logging it, and today collecting my thoughts on the whole kit.. So bear with me while i try explain my whole thought process as clear as i can.

The kit:

The intake kit arrived super fast from overseas to NY! Thanks to evolve for the great customer service, fast shipping, putting up with all my emails and questions of mine. Being so happy with the Evolve tune, lead me to look into their newly released intake.
    Kit came packaged very well, everything in order, and with a checklist to make sure all the parts i wanted arrived..

The kit is a masterpiece and just a joy to look at. The carbon fiber is amazing, every piece looks like it took effort, thought process, and precision to make.. Here are some pics of first opening up the kit.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Ok enough looking at it.. Time to go out and install..

The install:

I wont get into every single detail of the install, but will show some pics of the install process and share any tips to help the install for future reference to anyone..
    Ok, first things first.. Download the install instructions here: https://evolveautomotive.sharefile.c...164c1a9849e38#

Get the stock air boxes out of the way:
    Click here to enlarge

Remove lower air ducts so you can install the lower air feed air scoops:
    Click here to enlarge

Lower Air scoops installed
    Click here to enlarge

This part is tough!
    Push lower air duct with the scoop installed back into its place (the duct is recessed at the end with a lip, it pops/locks into place).. You can bend/push back on the plastic wheel liner to get your hand to the bottom to help and push in the air duct into its place, once its snapped in and you can't pull it up and out easily, You are good, and it is in place.
    Click here to enlarge

Install heat shields on both sides.. Push the heat shields as far as you can towards the engine side they go, this will give a nice amount of room for the intakes.
    Click here to enlarge

Insert the breather filter with the machined snap on part to the oem hose.. This is a neat piece!
    Click here to enlarge

Breather filter, heat shield, and lower air scoops ducts installed. Time for the filters!
    Click here to enlarge

Remove the MAF carefully and install it on the CNC evolve maf holder using the provided bolts.. Clamp everything together and to the intake, including the oem hose and clamps.. And it should look like this
    Click here to enlarge

Install the whole assembly to the plenums and move/position the intake and clamps as needed. Then tighten them down!
    Click here to enlarge

Install the very nicely made, and strong evolve scoops aswell
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

The end result should look like this!

Click here to enlarge

Little bit of 50/50 wax to protect them Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Checking the lower scoops operation! They passed, was able to blow my heavy microfiber towel up with my low volume vac:

The drive:

Ok, so hopped in and i wanted to take it nice and easy to start off, get her warmed up, then double check my work, to make sure everything is tight... During my test drive I wanted to make sure i can get a feel for a few things..
    The noise of course that everyone talks about.. The increased response from the intakes.. And the top end power which is free'd up from the mass increase in air flow, which has been shown on the dyno aswell.

So right off the bat, once i dug my foot into the throttle, the intake noise and V10 roar was amazing! I have a RPI GTS exhaust and these intakes almost masked the exhaust at WOT.. OMG at redline these intakes sound insane, like im driving a lambo or ferrari.. I am in love with the sound..I thought an S85 with exhaust was the best sound in the world, i was wrong!

Ok response; throttle response around town is stock like, didn't notice any real big difference, and the sound is stock unless you put your foot heavy on the throttle. But place your foot down to WOT, the engine response has increased a good amount! P500 now feels like p500S in a response point of view. Really an amazing feat here. I was extremely happy with this... My car seems to just jump at WOT input from me now, where it use to almost just progressively go into WOT. This was a delight, made the car feel alot more aggressive.

I couldn't tell a difference of TQ off the bat down low either ( Probably need more seat time and adaption), mid-range seemed like it gained some kick and tq, minimal imho..
    But get over 5K RPM, this engine screams for air and the evolve intakes deliver! After the evolve tune, i thought my top end became insane! But these intakes have gave this engine that little extra kick at those high RPM's! MORE AIR! GREAT pull all the way to redline, even the last few hundred RPM'S.. What a animal this thing is.. The high rpm scream of the intake with the aggressive as hell top end pull, my car has officially become a monster with the evolve tune and intakes combo.

I think these few words above, i was as honest as i can be, basically sum up this intake install.. There is not much to get into detail, this engine likes to rev high, and likes to take in alot of air through those 10 throttle bodies, and these evolve intakes gave this engine just what the doctor ordered. The top end scream and pull is GREAT! The stock airboxes lack the air flow to keep up with this engine, due to noise restriction, emissions, space, and budget.
    The looks, the sound and power gain.. A winner in my book.. I am literally writing this review with a smile on my face and my right foot jumping ready to go for another drive.

The truth and the facts:

There is alot of politics, fanbois, and drama around all cars, especially behind the scenes of forums.. I dont want no part in that, and dont want to be caught up in it. I love my car, i want products that work, and that i will be happy with! I think everyone knows this and me, and can relate to this! Data logging and unbiased product review seem to be rare in these parts, esp when comparing different products.

So what i did for the community and myself, and no disrespect at all to evolve, as i believe in their products after they helped and tuned my friends M5 in the start of the year, and tuned my M5 just about a month ago, i have been extremely happy with them but i of course wanted to see the data for myself and share it with the community here..

IAT logs.. Stock and the Evolve Eventuri intakes..

Ok, so to keep things consistent, i choose a local route, a specific amount of time, and a starting ambient temp for both cars to go through the same tests.
    Ambient was around the same 74-77 degrees.. Local route was the same.. Time frame was cold start to a 15-20 min drive, with oil temps getting up to operating temps.

Sorry for the pics, they are shaking as i was taking them while i was driving. I have the logs to these pics, but i think the pics show this easier.

STOCK BOXES with RPI scoops, BMC filters and charcoal filter delete:

COLD start: IATS 27C
    Click here to enlarge

77F ambient
    Click here to enlarge

IATS 44-45C 15+ mins into drive
    Click here to enlarge

Evolve Eventuri Intakes

COLD start: IATS 28-29C
    Click here to enlarge

IATS 42-45C 15+ mins into drive
    Click here to enlarge

So after driving with both and extending my drive beyond logging that was shown in these pictures, my conclusion?
    Around town, part throttle driving, the Eventuri Evolve intakes match the OEM stock box IATS.. I couldn't get the Evolve intakes IATS to go much higher then stock as much as local driving as i did.. Those lower scoops and upper scoops really help keep those IATs in check, even if your doing 10-20mph and in local traffic, its enough air to keep the IATS down. I live in NYC so this worked out perfect.

To add to this, How about a WOT pull on both setups to see IATS! 2nd gear pulls, in around the same 75 degree ambient temps..
    The key to look for here is the starting IAT's before the pull, and the IAT's at the end of the pull, the delta difference... To keep it simple, lets choose bank 1 IAT's and RPM..

Stock Box: Starting IAT 43C...End of pull IAT 38C.. A change of 5C...
    Click here to enlarge

Eventuri Evolve intake: Starting IAT 50... End of pull IAT 44C (and possibly still dropping but i ended the log)
    A change of 6C.. More ambient air getting pulled in, faster cooling. Even with higher starting IAT's then my stock box log!

Click here to enlarge

Video of logging with the Eventuri Evolve intakes:

Honestly, if my butt dyno didn't impress me like it did, these datalogs have sealed the deal for me! Evolve, thanks for a great product, your datalogging, research, dynos have proven to be the truth!

I want to thank Evolve again for all their help in me getting these and answering my questions.
    Want to also thank forum member randywei, for going play by play with me through this intake experience, and me keeping him play by play through the logging and his own logging! Thanks Randy.
    Sorry for any spelling errors! Trying to wrap my ideas around in a thread makes me going crazy with spelling.
    ///M5 LCI
    "It's like the F10 is the 911 Turbo to the E60's GT3" -Pistonheads (M5 feature)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    very spicy sexy write up. now we must test consistency, can we hold you to a 2 month update?
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rawad1017 Click here to enlarge
    very spicy sexy write up. now we must test consistency, can we hold you to a 2 month update?
    Thanks buddy!
    What do you mean by test consistency?
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Another interesting thing i found...

My RPI scoops vs the new evolve scoops..

The RPI scoops feel so brittle and thin, compared to the Evolve scoops that are alot thicket and feel super strong. Even the welds on the back of the evovle scoops look really strong. I like the nice scoop flow of the evolve scoops compared to the RPI box style scoop..

I never thought these RPI scoops, that felt so cheaply built were worth 200 price tag! 100 each, but that was all that was on the market at the time.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

p.s. Waiting for @Sticky to abuse my spelling bombs in my review haha
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Very nicely done write up and data! I mean seriously, wow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Very nicely done write up and data! I mean seriously, wow.
    Thanks alot Sticky, appreciate it... I tried to get the best before and after results with the intakes, using IAT's, as possible. Keeping everything as consistent as possible aswell. Since that is one of the most important and talked about data point, of intakes on the S85. I am glad i had the time, logging tools and logging education to get it done to benefit myself and the community.
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

You did really well. The intake area is hard to improve on with the S85.

I think the scoops really make the biggest difference IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

You did really well. The intake area is hard to improve on with the S85.

I think the scoops really make the biggest difference IMO.
    I think so too.. The top and bottom combo of scoops really help bring alot of air and keep IAT's in check.. High IAT's is what have been the problem with intake setups throughout all these years on the S85.. More air, but at a much higher IAT's, doesnt produce power.. Evolve hit a home run with this intake, taking their time to datalog, dyno and test..
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

The way Evolve goes about its product testing and data sets a very high standard.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

The way Evolve goes about its product testing and data sets a very high standard.
    I agree, so refreshing to see a company like this around, and i am extremely happy to have them in the S85 world, as a lot of other companies leave a lot to be desired in the S85 market.
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Video from this past week

Evolve Eventuri Intakes and RPI GTS Exhaust:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-T9...ature=youtu.be
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    Video from this past week

Evolve Eventuri Intakes and RPI GTS Exhaust:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-T9...ature=youtu.be
    Here:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

subscribe.