Close

View Poll Results: Is the R35 GTR a True Supercar?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 45.16%
  • No

17 54.84%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

GTR a True Supercar?

Disclaimer, this has nothing to do with any of the amazing things AMS or any other GTR vendor has done with the platform, it's just a theoretical question that has more to do with what the factory gives you. I've seen it come up on another forum in a thread digression (imagine that) and it made me wonder...

Purely for the sake of discussion/debate, would you consider the R35 GTR a true supercar?

Proponents have argued that because they are already running 9.1s@145+ in the 1/4 and topping 200mph in the mile when heavily modded, they must be. Makes sense to me, that's moving by anyone's account for a stock bottom end car.

Naysayers have pointed out that the 2011 Mustang GT has been out for 1/6th of the time and has already gone 8.8s@150+ (though admittedly not on the stock bottom end, with better rods and pistons/rings).

Others have said that any true sports car can handle and the GTR obviously does that very well, but a 2011 GT carrying around 400lbs less mass with a full Griggs suspension will pull over 1.1G on the skidpad and not lose much if any time to a GTR in turns and even modified as such it would still check in under the cost of a GTR.

Agree or disagree, beware it's a public poll Click here to enlarge, and please state your reasoning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    No, it is not a supercar just because it can be modded impressively.

It is a nice performance car that has no soul, a robotic technological achievement that undercuts the 911 turbo enough in price to be justified, props to Nissan.

A Carrera GT is a supercar, A Ferrari Enzo is a supercar, a GTR is not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

IMHO: it's a very competent and capable sportscar, with performance potential that matches (and, in many cases, outright beats) many supercars. So, I voted "no" - it's technically not a supercar... too mainstream for that, in my view. But these terms are all vague and, as well, interchangeable to some degree. Supercar, hypercar, exotic, etc. No widely agreed-upon definitions exist...

FWIW, one of those AMS cars has recently achieved 9.1 @ 163 MPH. That's movin'... yeesh.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
    FWIW, one of those AMS cars has recently achieved 9.1 @ 163 MPH. That's movin'... yeesh.
    It sure is moving but I'm surprised we are starting to determine what a supercar is by what it does in a straightline. That really isn't what makes a supercar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you know this is an awesome topic! I think the overall package that comes out of the factory it what determines if it is a supercar or not... but it seems like the gtr hits many of the key parts of the supercar standard which include acceleration to 60, handling, and a 7 minute nordschlife time!

I think the hypercar is where it's at... It's like calling a 10sec M3 a supercar. I would call it a sportscar in stock form and a tuner car when modded (as with any car).

but this is my thought process and it might change based on some points that are brought up! awesome car though
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A stock GT-R is a Supercar in my book. Just not supercar priced. I've had my share of track time behind the wheel with one and it's great. I just don't think it will ever have the heritage of a Ferrari or Porsche which is sad but it is what it is I can't hate on it.

I'm not sure how it has no soul either because of the technology it has? Last I check all the other supercars have all the same basic technology like the Porsche 911 turbo for one..

I guess the LP-560 and Porsche 911 turbos have no soul either by that logic.
    Kees on M5 Board is my bitch....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JonMartin Click here to enlarge
    I'm not sure how it has no soul either because of the technology it has? Last I check all the other supercars have all the same basic technology like the Porsche 911 turbo for one..
    It isn't due to the technology in it it is due to the lack of feeling, the car just feels robotic. That is at least the impression I have gathered from most of the reviews and analyses.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It sure is moving but I'm surprised we are starting to determine what a supercar is by what it does in a straightline. That really isn't what makes a supercar.
    shocked to hear you say that when me and you had a huge debate about this very car where you didnt even go by 1/4 time but you went be trap to determine if the car was fast. If a super car isnt determined by straight line speed then it def is a super car because lots of mags have done all sorts of comparo's and the gtr wins a vast majority of the time around the track especially against every variant of the 911,i have also seen r8 v10,gallardo,f430, and then EVERY super car that it destroys around the ring and i dont even want to write that list!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

if you take the generation of the f430,gallardo,997,r8 that were out when the gtr came out and the gtr does 0-60,1/4,60-0,skid pad, and laptime better or equal to all of them how is not a super car?? cuz it feels numb???LOLOLOLOLOL thats just silly i thought numbers dont lie

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
    shocked to hear you say that when me and you had a huge debate about this very car where you didnt even go by 1/4 time but you went be trap to determine if the car was fast
    Trap speed does determine what car has more power, that has nothing to do with the measure of a sueprcar.

If a super car isnt determined by straight line speed then it def is a super car because lots of mags have done all sorts of comparo's and the gtr wins a vast majority of the time around the track especially against every variant of the 911,i have also seen r8 v10,gallardo,f430, and then EVERY super car that it destroys around the ring and i dont even want to write that list!!
    It isn't a supercar, it is a nice performance car. It doesn't destroy everything around the ring, I'm so sick of this god damn GTR hype.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

if you take the generation of the f430,gallardo,997,r8 that were out when the gtr came out and the gtr does 0-60,1/4,60-0,skid pad, and laptime better or equal to all of them how is not a super car?? cuz it feels numb???LOLOLOLOLOL thats just silly i thought numbers dont lie
    That's the point, a supercar is more than just numbers.

A McLaren F1 is a supercar, Pagani Zonda is a supercar, Ferrari Enzo is a supercar, Carrera GT is a supercar, the GTR is not and people who think it is play too much Gran Turismo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    In my mind Supercar, Exotic, "Pure" Sports Car, and Grand Tourismo are four seperate and completely different categories for high performance automobiles. Of those 4 which one does the GTR fit?

Supercar ~ above and beyond anything ever produced in its time period. F40, 959, Enzo, Carerra GT, Veyron...
    Exotic ~ sports car traits with exquisite build materials and quality in very limited production numbers: Most Ferrari's and Lamborghini's, Ford GT...
    Pure Sports Cars ~ cars built for the sole purpose of performance on track: 911 turbo/GT3, GTR, Z06 /ZR1, M3, 427 Cobra....
    Grand Tourismo ~ Highly distinguished autos with power and handling: Aston, XKR, M5, Alpina, AMG, Masarati, Bentley...

No the GTR is not a Supercar per say but this does not diminish the accomplishments and the performance that it produce.
    A better question would be is the LFA a supercar? Has the GT2RS crossed into supercar territory?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

2nd favorite car ive ever driven

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@MHP Click here to enlarge
    A better question would be is the LFA a supercar? Has the GT2RS crossed into supercar territory?
    No and no.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

No and no.

Would these two be more worthy of supercar respect over the the GTR? Or is it that simple, your in or your not?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Trap speed does determine what car has more power, that has nothing to do with the measure of a sueprcar.

It isn't a supercar, it is a nice performance car. It doesn't destroy everything around the ring, I'm so sick of this god damn GTR hype.
    and im so sick of this god damn gtr hate!! how the $#@! does it not destroy them around the ring? Nissan has a time of 7:24.22 but i know you will say thats fake so lets dismiss that, sports auto went 7:34 with Horst von Saurma driving now lets compare.

Koenigsegg CCR 7:34(same driver)
    LFA 7:38(same driver)
    ZR1 7:38(same driver)
    Italia 7:38(same driver)
    SLS 7:40(same driver)
    Zonda S 7:44(same driver)
    gallardo sl 7:46(same driver)

STICKY HOW DO YOU DEBATE THAT? THATS AN INDEPENDENT TEST DONE BY THE SAME PROFESSIONAL DRIVER!! Now even though Sticky doesnt understand why ring time is so important i think it means everything. We always talk about 60-130,1/4,0-60,skid pad,braking etc etc etc, but being on a track combines all that together and then your lap time is the sum of ALL of it. The ring is special because its 12.9 miles long so the cars that are good or fast have a long time to pull away from the slower cars. So when you get that ring time it is a true representation of a cars all round performance, the one thing that people say is that the ring favors big hp cars, well the gtr is the lowest and the fastest lol, how about weight? well the gtr has 400lb on the next heaviest car!! NOW TELL ME HOW THAT IS NOT SUPER!!!

here is where i got my numbers you should all look at the list
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nürburgring_lap_times

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

and im so sick of this god damn gtr hate!! how the $#@! does it not destroy them around the ring? Nissan has a time of 7:24.22 but i know you will say thats fake so lets dismiss that, sports auto went 7:34 with Horst von Saurma driving now lets compare.
    Lets...
    Test weight - 1412kg (3,106 lbs)
    0-100km/h (62 mph) - 3,3s
    0-200km/h (124 mph) - 9,7s (New Record)
    100-0km/h cold/warm - 31,3m/30,1m

NBR Lap times

Porsche 997 GT2 RS - 7:24min
    Maserati MC12 - 7:24min
    Pagani Zonda F Clubsport - 7:24min
    Ferrari Enzo - 7:25min
    Porsche Carrera GT - 7:28min
    Ferrari 458 Italia - 7:32min
    Porsche 997.2 GT3 RS - 7:33min
    Nissan GT-R (2012) - 7:34min
    Supercar is more than just a super car. Is more than the fastest on track. You do notice that the gt3rs, 458, gt2rs are faster, have higher quality build materials, and are much harder to purchase(numbers wise), are not called supercars! Just saying.

Info in quote came from nagtroc:
    http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....0&#entry621253

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

No GTR hate, plenty of GTR admiration. It just isn't a supercar, check the above post for quicker laptimes as well.

Do you consider the ZR-1 to be a supercar? I don't.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Because the other cars you just listed above are not supercars either.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Supercar = Koenigsegg, Zonda, Veyron, Reventon, Enzo, Mclaren F1, Carrera GT

People need to learn the definition of "supercar".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Supercar = Koenigsegg, Zonda, Veyron, Reventon, Enzo, Mclaren F1, Carrera GT

People need to learn the definition of "supercar".
    The problem is the Gran Turismo generation, they play the game on their playstation and tune a GTR and suddenly think it is the fastest thing on the planet because the game let's them tune it to 1200 hp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

sticky now that was just silly, it has nothing to do with that, the problem is the car stops,turns, and out laps all these super cars nothing to do with a video game

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

What Supercars does it out lap? It does not even out lap all the non supercars!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@MHP Click here to enlarge
    What Supercars does it out lap? It does not even out lap all the non supercars!
    Heh, exactly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

sticky now that was just silly, it has nothing to do with that, the problem is the car stops,turns, and out laps all these super cars nothing to do with a video game
    I think it has everything to do with the hype people attribute to the GTR. It is a ~120 trap car, it is slower than a Z06, it really isn't a supercar or all that it is cracked up to be.

I like the car, a lot, maybe I should have bought one, but I won't sit here with delusions of the GTR being a supercar, it isn't.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast