Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

6 out of 6 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

vtknights GTR - From Switzer R1K to AMS Alpha 16

Hi everyone,

It was suggested I post some video on my car;

My previous build - a Switzer R1K GTR setup - was a great build that was very reliable. I helped to test some of the first R1K updates as well as the Ultimate Street Edition packages for Switzer. Initially dyno'd on a Mustang dyno at 805 awhp on pump and 1004 on Q16 race gas - it was a very responsive setup and great all round street car. With a best 60-130 of 3.89 on race fuel (4.7 best on pump gas) - I had a great time with it at the track. In time we dialed it in from a low 10 second car to a high 9 second car at ~145-147 MPH on pump gas;

On race fuel - (and pump fuel actually lol) my 60 foot was my weakness and I chose not to risk my delicate DCT, axles and diff's on boost off the line and languished in 1.62-1.70 60 foot times. That said - I did hit a maximum trap of 155 MPH (and 125 MPH 1/8th trap) with a best ET of 9.41 on race fuel (Switzers record for this setup was a 9.38 so I was close). With the newer tunes out now - GTR's are hitting 1.4x and even 1.3x 60 foots fairly regularly - so if I wanted to risk it I am fairly certain I could have hit a low 9 or maybe even a high 8 on a perfect DA.
    Best standing 1/2 mile was 173 MPH on pump and 184 MPH on race fuel. Best full mile was 213.7 MPH on race fuel (no launch control used in either).

What is next;

I have decided to go with a full on build after finding someone who was interested in my R1K.
    A local builder who is a friend of mine is opening a shop and he is an AMS dealer. Although there are now Alpha 20 kits now - they require cutting the frame to fit the turbos and are not really available yet so I stuck with the Alpha 16 package.
    There will likely be increased lag - but I am hoping the 4.1 stroker kit (Sonny Bryant crank) will help with that.
    Here is a longer video (not mine obviously) of one of the first customer A16's. It was still being initially tuned;

I hope the car will be ready by mid June for a couple of 1/2 mile and 1/4 mile competitions.

Cheers!
    Last edited by vtknight; 05-22-2014 at 12:34 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Moving you over to the VR38DETT section.

I know this isn't quite ready for primetime yet but there are a few GTR owners here and additional content doesn't hurt.

I'm going to move the GTS threads from the asian cars subforum over this week.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

This is straight boss status, 1k hp wasn't enough. He moved onto 1600 hp lol.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

those standing and full mile numbers are just insane, nice OP
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    This is straight boss status, 1k hp wasn't enough. He moved onto 1600 hp lol.
    Lol - the truth is I wanted to help my friend establish his shop and of course I was interested in pushing my personal records. Like I said in another thread - an A12 setup which was good for consistent high 8 second passes (with a mid 8 on a good day) was almost the same price as going A16 because the supporting mods were almost identical. So bang for my buck - I thought I may as well go as fast as I can...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rawad1017 Click here to enlarge
    those standing and full mile numbers are just insane, nice OP
    Thanks. As I was saying in another thread to JRCART - I am not sure if I am going back to the mile with the new setup as 213 was pretty intense and the new build should be good for about 235-245 depending on how we set up the RPM's. So far I think I am sticking with 1/4 and 1/2 mile (where I should hit 215 MPH or so in the 1/2). I know the crazy Russians use the same tires I do (Toyo R888's - and usually no helmets lol) - but there really is no testing above 200 MPH for any street tire...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vtknight Click here to enlarge
    but there really is no testing above 200 MPH for any street tire...
    This is what worries me about running the mile. What tire do I use?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Unfortunately - not only do these DR's have no speed rating - they are not recommended for highway use.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Unfortunately - not only do these DR's have no speed rating - they are not recommended for highway use.
    there was a guy with the fwd mile record who used those, and just switch em out with Y rated tires when you wanna go on the highway..you're not supposed to do 200mph+ on the highway lol
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

there was a guy with the fwd mile record who used those, and just switch em out with Y rated tires when you wanna go on the highway..you're not supposed to do 200mph+ on the highway lol
    Lol - I hear you a what I'm saying is there are many people who use R888's at or over 240 MPH (most tend not to use DR's for top speed runs) - the scary part is there is no guarantee on the tire not exploding. That is why most mile competitons do not get sponsored by tire companies as they don't want to infer that they are guaranteeing their tires for these types of speeds.

it obviously goes without saying that doing these speeds is dangerous. I am a little older now with children - so it's not all about me anymore..Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Best standing 1/2 mile was 173 MPH on pump and 184 MPH on race fuel. Best full mile was 213.7 MPH on race fuel (no launch control used in either)

That is 230 mph 1 mile territory with a full out assault on your axles and tranny etc

Great stuff, subscribed

BTW what tires do Koenigsegg use on their 250 mph jaunts ?
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Lol - I hear you a what I'm saying is there are many people who use R888's at or over 240 MPH (most tend not to use DR's for top speed runs) - the scary part is there is no guarantee on the tire not exploding. That is why most mile competitons do not get sponsored by tire companies as they don't want to infer that they are guaranteeing their tires for these types of speeds.

it obviously goes without saying that doing these speeds is dangerous. I am a little older now with children - so it's not all about me anymore..Click here to enlarge
    That's what I'm scared of. You blow out a tire at 200+ now what? You die.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge

Mate at 200 mph there is no God !
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    Best standing 1/2 mile was 173 MPH on pump and 184 MPH on race fuel. Best full mile was 213.7 MPH on race fuel (no launch control used in either)

That is 230 mph 1 mile territory with a full out assault on your axles and tranny etc

Great stuff, subscribed

BTW what tires do Koenigsegg use on their 250 mph jaunts ?
    That is a good question. The only tire I know of that is made for 250+ MPH is on the Bugatti Veyron - which last 30 minutes at top speed.

They also cost over 20K.

I appreciate the confidence - but I think a 220-223 MPH mile is more realistic on my previous setup on full boost.
    That said - I was at 32 PSI (Switzer's 1/4 record was at 35) - so with a launch and full boost I think at least 220 was realistic.
    My top speed was about 228 MPH if I remember correctly so your math is right.

With the new setup I hope to run 175-180, 205-210, and 235-245 MPH in the 1/4, 1/2 and (theoretically) the mile.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

That is unfortunately likely.

That said - those crazy Russians in the Moscow mile run R888's up to 250 MPH lol. That said they have recently shortened the track to 1 KM as the cars are becoming too powerful.

Eddie Bello and the guy who drives that new gen Camaro have already had issues...luckily I believe everyone was all right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

That is a good question. The only tire I know of that is made for 250+ MPH is on the Bugatti Veyron - which last 30 minutes at top speed.

They also cost over 20K.
    They are designed around the Veyron's weight though. The problem is when you are doing extended runs on the Autobahn they heat up and at that weight it is easy to blow them out. A quick sprint isn't a big deal they are designed so you can go WOT for as long as you want.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I've debated whether I will ever do a full mile run once I get my car back. I would do it on R888s. On E85, it will likely make close to 1000 awhp which has to be good for close to 190 in the half mile. The WannaGoFast Georgia event is already sold out and is a half mile, but I'm thinking of trying to get a spot for that and give it a whirl.

Best of luck on the Alpha 16, should be a whole new world of fast.
    Current: 2013 GTR (built motor and trans, stock frame EFR 6758 turbo upgrade, 915 rwhp, 9.18 @ 150 on E85) - 2013 ML63 (Tuned by Renntech 12.0 @ 116) - 2000 E46 (SBC & F1R) 2003 S600 (Dad's DD Tuned)
    Past: 2011 Cayenne Turbo - 2006 Cayenne Turbo (catless and tuned) 2002 Z06 (Heads/Cam/Nitrous)
    Past: 2002 BMW M3 (AA Gen 7) - 2006 BMW M5 - 93 FD RX-7 (T66) - 88 FC RX-7 (LS1) - 90 FC RX-7

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I'm surprised no tire company has come out with a omgwtfbbq tire capable of that kind of speed with piece of mind it won't die on you, so many fast cars being built nowadays
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PianoProdigy Click here to enlarge
    I've debated whether I will ever do a full mile run once I get my car back. I would do it on R888s. On E85, it will likely make close to 1000 awhp which has to be good for close to 190 in the half mile. The WannaGoFast Georgia event is already sold out and is a half mile, but I'm thinking of trying to get a spot for that and give it a whirl.

Best of luck on the Alpha 16, should be a whole new world of fast.
    Thanks - my previous build was 1000 awhp and I did 184 in the 1/2 but not at full boost (or with launch).

I think ink at full boogy you will hit a high 180 if not 190 in the 1/2. It's a lot of fun!

I will keep everyone up to date on the build as it progresses...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

They are designed around the Veyron's weight though. The problem is when you are doing extended runs on the Autobahn they heat up and at that weight it is easy to blow them out. A quick sprint isn't a big deal they are designed so you can go WOT for as long as you want.
    You are correct - that said - if you read about what the tire manufacturers state - any irregularities with the tire could cause issues. Again - I read this AFTER I did the mile lol. I think low 200's is much safer with a GTR as I felt quite stable despite the cross wind. Once I hit 210 I had to nut-up and clenched the cheeks pretty good.

230+ would be pretty crazy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

I'm surprised no tire company has come out with a omgwtfbbq tire capable of that kind of speed with piece of mind it won't die on you, so many fast cars being built nowadays
    Probably the liability & danger at those speeds, you might be able to blame the tire for a road inconsistency or multiple other things.

Then again if you charge 5k a tire and pay your insurance...wtf do I know 150-160mph scares me so 240-250 must just be a different realm of 'omfg what have I got myself into' insanity.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E91 Stockish and slow AF

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Probably the liability & danger at those speeds, you might be able to blame the tire for a road inconsistency or multiple other things.

Then again if you charge 5k a tire and pay your insurance...wtf do I know 150-160mph scares me so 240-250 must just be a different realm of 'omfg what have I got myself into' insanity.
    For me - it was a bucket list item. I have done a bunch of 1/2 and full mile races and up to 215 MPH - the car feels pretty stable - but almost like it won't be for very long. You simply get this feeling that you are now going very very fast. As Sticky pointed out - bursts of speed are in fact probably okay - sustaining those speeds is where the most danger lies. That said - it isn't where ALL of the danger lies. Suspension is under tremendous strain at those speeds - as of course are the tires - and then there is the surface you are travelling over. The crazy Russians do this every year at the Moscow Mile - without even a helmet sometimes (!) but now even they are reducing the length from a mile to KM as the speeds are getting out of control.

I live speed - but I'm just getting older it seems lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

but now even they are reducing the length from a mile to KM as the speeds are getting out of control.
    I didn't know that but it makes sense.

Where did you hear this?

My events will be capped at 1/2 mile. That's plenty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    @vtknight @Sticky
    Conti SportContact Vmax tires?
    http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...s#.U4ZLFiiiWAo

Click here to enlarge

/
    //A L E X A N D R E 1983 Photography///ALX1983.COM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast